Pity party: Anyone not had an interview this summer? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Pity party: Anyone not had an interview this summer?

>

shopgirl78

Pity party: Anyone not had an interview this summer?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There hasn't been much of anything posted in the district I sub in--just high school and hard to fill stuff (band assistant, welding, etc). I bet they are still going through the surplus. : ( I had two interviews during the school year last year and both Ps had great things to say but I didn't get either job. (I think one went ot a RIF and the other to the para). One P told me this year, that if they make it through the surplus, I am on her hire list (of course, if there is a vacancy). I hate being so stagnate. I am stuck in my little region and there just hasn't been much in other districts either--some haven't posted anything yet. Is that normal? Gah! This is looking bleak.

shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote

reflect

same here!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had interviews during the school year was told the same thing. I did talk to one district and they informed me that they will not be hiring more than likely until a few weeks before school starts. Last year they hired 30 news teachers the day BEFORE school started!! And hired some after school started....just keep your head up it will happen when it is supposed to happen!! (that is what i keep telling myself)
reflect is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Boo-hoo too!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have an interview today. Yay! I also just found out that a handful of jobs I'd applied for are already filled, and I couldn't even snag an interview. Bleah. It is so frustrating! Most jobs aren't even being posted in our system. So I'm keeping in touch with people, and I have heard about a bunch of jobs, and some folks have made a point of telling me about openings. But I guess my sub experience and master's degree aren't enough to set me apart. I'm now starting to look outside teaching, and I guess I'll apply to a few other systems as well. But I'm getting worried. Target, here I come!...
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Hot mess
Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm a hot mess over here. I can't seem to catch a break, even with a SpEd endorsement that I thought would help. I agree with PP; Target here I come!

I don't know how people are getting 5, 7, etc interviews. I have only gotten the 1 and I think we all know how that ended for me.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

I'm crashing the party!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'll be honest, I have no hope of getting a job this year. I'd just like it if someone gave me an interview - I'd feel like at least I was worth that time! But honestly, there aren't any openings that I'm seeing. The few I've heard of are already "spoken for" before they're even posted.

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

I agree with PPs
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is so hard to figure out how to find the jobs, which are being kept secret, I guess. And then when you hear about them, it's hard to figure out how to get an interview. I don't want to be known as the person who bugs admin, so I've tried to keep my "Over here!" actions to a minimum. Maybe I've been too quiet or not demanding enough. Or maybe it's not me at all; maybe it's that the job were promised to inside candidates who want to switch grade levels. I can't figure it out. The interview I had today is the only one so far and the only one on the horizon. Wow. If I had known two years ago how this might work, I might not have pursued it at all. So, will you all keep subbing if you can't land a job? I'm not sure I can afford it financially anymore.

ElemK5

Same here...
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had only 1 interview (well 2 technically...). My 1 "real" (I say "real" because it wasn't taken seriously by the interviewer) interview went well... but was told they would be hiring someone who's worked in the district before. There was never a job posted for it, I surprisingly landed the interview by randomly sending my resume to Principals... Unfortunately it only worked that 1 time.

I did have an interview for a Catholic School... but cancelled... why? Am I crazy? No, I realized that at the price of gas and cost of living, it was too far of a drive to work there for so little pay. If it was closer, I would have went for it... but I would be spending over $150 a week for gas... it just didn't seem worth it... even for the experience.

I am hoping for (what another poster said) interviews in the month of August... maybe they will go through their "surplus" and start hiring outside of the district. Who knows... I'm not giving up though... not yet!
ElemK5 is offline   Reply With Quote

justdance

ElemK5
Old 06-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quick question, are you fully certified? I ask because you said you got a call for a Catholic school interview. I am hoping they are more open to those of us who have a CE. Thanks!

I've only just started the application process last month and probably have sent out 20-25, no calls yet. We'll see
justdance is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemK5

Justdance
Old 06-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a CEAS. But also student taught in the grade level that they were hiring for... so that might have helped... I dunno. But I've applied to a few Catholic Schools and this is the only one I heard back from.

Catholic School jobs don't pay much though... and it was too far away from my house to be worth it.

graciegurl101

What is CEAS & CE? Certified?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am certified also and have not heard the terms CEAS and CE?That may sound dumb, but I truly have the gpa & good college to back up that I am not lacking, am just not a abbreviation person who knows the shop talk. I have also since learned that HG or highly qualified does not have to mean with a masters. I was naive enough to not click on higly qualified and when going through my license app with the licensure specialsit, they told me I should have checked it. The wording makes it sound odd. Glad someone posted they are also having a hard time, when I post this, no one replies back. I got two interviews last year and one offer. Dumbly didn't take the offer thinking it would not work and now I realize it was probably my last and only chance to get in. Ugh & Sigh

Yeah, are they posting in your districts? Here they are not posting and if they do, it fills very quickly. I see mostly middle and high school and for the first time ever, do not see muchh of Sped. I noticed this year's grad class from which I just finished last year had a lot of Sped and secondary school level subjects doing their student teaching. Ok, too long a post, what is CE? And are they posting?

graciegurl101 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemK5

Graciegurl
Old 06-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't know how it is in other states, but in NJ we have four types of certification...

1) CE or Certificate of Eligibility... this means you passed the Praxis, and meet the requirements (credit wise in that area of teaching - math, science, history, language arts, etc.) but have not yet gone through a teaching program to become a certified teacher. Basically, upon being hired you go "Alternate Route" and go through schooling while working as a teacher as opposed to school first, then teach.

2) CEAS means Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing... this means you passed the Praxis, went through an accredited teacher education program, and have enough credits for the content area you are teaching. Upon being hired you still have to be mentored for one year, in which you then receive...

3) Provisional - received during your first year of teaching. I believe it is good for 2 years...

4) Finally.... you obtain a Standard Certification after 1 full year of "mentored" teaching.

A CE and CEAS basically say that you can teach for whatever you are certified in. Then a Provisional and Standard are issued later on once you get a job.

Last edited by ElemK5; 06-16-2011 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: spelling/grammar error.

justdance

Wondering
Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If I were to go through the teacher education program, how long do you think that would take so I could get a CEAS? I'm gonna email a college and ask about this. I wonder since I won't be an undergrad doing all the other "college stuff" how long this woud take me to complete and what the cost might be? Maybe i could try that route and maybe sub or try a para position in the mean time....hmmmm..looking at every angle

ElemK5

justdance
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It took me a year and a half to get my CEAS... I had a bachelors degree already and went back for teaching. Cost are all different, depending on what school you wish to go to. I was going to do the CE "Alternate Route" way, but I felt that I would be unprepared. I was definitely glad that I went through a teaching program and received my CEAS, because the budget cuts were so bad last year anyway that there would have been no chance of getting a job. Not like I'm having much luck now, but the budgets are a bit better.

I know someone that did online school... through University of Pheonix. She received her Masters in Elementary Education... but I'm sure there's other programs. The one criticism that she did have was that you weren't prepared enough for student teaching. Usually there is a Junior Field/Practicum that you do before student teaching (1 day / week in a classroom helping and teaching a lesson). She didn't have that and felt like a fish out of water.

I would definitely look into obtaining your CEAS through a University. I know someone who has a CE in English, History(I think), and Special Ed and he's having a hard time. I'm wondering if it's because he only has a CE and only subbing experience. Who knows.

Good Luck with whatever route you take!

TXlady

Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had one interview in the spring, but it went to someone with more teaching experience. But as of this month nothing. I've gotten to the point where I am not even looking at teaching positions anymore. Private schools don't have openings, public schools are on hiring freezes and are only hiring those that are displaced or laid off from their district, and I can't afford to work as a teachers assistant, or preschool or daycare. I am done with teaching for awhile.

I've now been looking at office jobs such as receptionist at doctor, dental, veterinary clinics, real estate offices, ect. Only problem is i've never done anything outside of education so who knows if anyone would even hire me. I'm hoping I can get a job as a secretary/receptionist. After looking at some receptionist job openings I'd make the same per hour ($12 or more), but would have more hours than a preschool job. I have to financially support myself, and can't afford to stay in education and work these lowly jobs until things get better.
TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

graciegurl101

That makes sense.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thanks Elemk5, that makes perfect sense. I was in the dark, I really don't know much about provisional except the 3-5 years they are supposed to have to get a license. I have a license in my state I acquired through student teaching but wish I could have done the provisonal route. Those people always seem more sure and get the best start. I have often wondered what it meant when I saw a box for "certificate". They still hire a few provisonal here but it is very rare (most hire those w/ masters who are also able to move when the p's need it), and it is usually someone they know already.

Our state is supposed to be one of the harder ones to get a license with, supposedly that is what they say. I have heard we can go anywhere in the country with the exception of places like CA and IL and apply and have a chance to get hired, but of course must take their praxis exam. But that is probably how it used to be, probably in the late 90s, nothing is the same anymore. It is tougher now, my friends who do teach and have taught for years, no longer have the option to move to other districts or change schools or subjects, they pretty much stay where they are. They both have three certifications or a license to teach three different subjects in the area, with tenure so they are fairly secure. Both have special ed endorsements too along with other certifications, this is what it must take now I am guessing. I didn't understand before why they went to school so much, much of it online after their license for their additional endorsements, but now I see why: job security. Lucky girls.

Thanks again. New Jersey huh? The south gets a lot of people from your area or the north east down here. Nothing wrong with that and smart too, lots of beautiful views and a good life for those willing to relocate. With all the new online apps, it has increased the huge amount of overflow in my opinion of applications, & that is one big reason I think many of the new grads all over the states are having a harder time than before, that and the economy. Computers and online communications have changed things for us as the industrial revolution did in its day. With the hard copy applications, someone like myself had a better chance to get in, now there are 700 apps for one job opening in my field. You sound like you teach already, that is good. Those who are in and have been in for a while are the lucky ones. They also get to enjoy their summers. I couldn't sleep lying and thinking about what I might do to fix this situation so that I can still enjoy my summer.

learn&love88

Frustration and discouragement
Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I totally agree. I had an interview a couple weeks ago in the district I've been an Inst. Assistant for this past year. (I took that job over subbing at the suggestion/recommendation of the P I interviewed with last year for a FT job, who I have now been working for as an IA this past year.) My P has done a lot for me, helping me get ready for an interview by doing mock interviews and offering any books he had for me to borrow and encouraging me.
The interview (at least in my opinion) went pretty well, but apparently not well enough. I was told the school system was moving pretty quickly and I should hear back fairly quickly. Later that night (the day of first interviews) I heard that one of the girls I graduated college with had been offered a full time job. The next day I heard 2 other girls I graduated with were ALSO offered full time jobs. I still have yet to hear ANYTHING from the school system. Today is the last day of the 2nd interviews and I didn't get called for any of those. (At least one of which was with the P and teachers I've been working with all year.)
Our system has 10-12 openings, and apparently I can't even seem to snag one of them. I have two things on my interview that everyone in my college's ed department told me to put on there because they would definitely help me get a full time job. They hadn't done anything apparently other than get me a job that I don't even need a teaching license for.
Bah!! I'm highly frustrated!
learn&love88 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemK5

Old 06-17-2011, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

graciegurl... I wish I was teaching already, but I too am still looking. I want to enjoy my summer and not think about getting/not getting a job...

learn & love... I totally feel your pain. There was a job opening that I was more than qualified for in a grade that I student taught in, so I applied. I found out that someone who had no idea about any of this particular schools teaching strategies and never taught in the grade level got an interview over me. How did this happen? They had teaching experience... in a Preschool.... and all I had was student teaching. It didn't matter that they had no clue as to what guided reading.... writers workshop... or any of that is... they had "Teaching Experience".

Finding teaching jobs are so frustrating...

justdance

Hope you don't get frustrated with me:)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

But I'm actually one of those pre-school teachers with a CE who is applying for jobs. I understand your frustration and agree with you completely about not having experiencing with guided reading,etc. However, for myself, I have a great deal of experience with classroom management, dealing with varying levels in the classroom (some 4 and5 year olds were reading, others didn't know how to hold a crayon) so had to differentiate, I had at least one child each year present with special needs and I had to help the parents and assist them with evaluations and such. I have for myself studied guided reading, guided math, reading/writing workshops, centers, daily 5, etc. and have some credits in continuing education so I feel "knowledgable" about these areas but right, I have not "implemented" them as of yet.
Anyway, my experience is all I have to make myself stand out. I hope we all stand out as viable candidates in our own way and eventually all get a job

justdance

I'm acutally holding with the Dept of Ed
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

right now...wait time is 30-40 minutes!! I'm going to ask since I have an old cert. that they don't give out anymore Elem K-8, if this qualifies me to take any praxis (math, science, etc) to try to specialize for middle school in the areas that aren't as popular. It just seems impossible!
When I was in the Alternate route program Stage I 3 years ago, the majority of the people in there already had a contract to teach that fall and they hadn't even completed the Stage I!!! Have things changed that much since then??

ElemK5

Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

justdance...

I didn't mean to say that Preschool teachers don't have experience in current instructional methodologies...

The issue was more that this person had "teaching experience" but they had no clue as to any of the teaching methods that this school was looking for. They got an interview because they have taught before and not based on actually being qualified for the job.

As far as the whole Alt. Route thing... I think because of the recent budget cuts, it is more difficult to get into schools as an Alt. Route or First Year teacher... as opposed to three years ago when teachers were in need and they took Alternate Route teachers because they needed bodies to fill the positions.

berrygirl

Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I had exactly one interview and never heard back from them. This is my biggest pet peeve. I can't understand why districts do not feel any obligation to send candidates a brief form letter letting them know that they were not selected.

I thought that this year would not be too difficult to find another position. Why? Because I have 4 certifications including special ed and 2 years of special ed experience. But I can't even seem to get an interview.
berrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
09Teacher21

09Teacher21

In the same boat!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I just finished my certification program in the spring and I've applied to several school districts. I haven't heard back from ANY of them!

It's definitely very disheartening and, at this point, I'm looking at other jobs to apply to within the realm of the educational field, i.e educational software companies. Actually, I'm applying to all types of jobs that aren't in the educational field. But, so far, I haven't heard back from anything, which I'm chalking up to my specialized, educational background. It's only been a month, too, so it could be too early to tell.

I also decided that if I can't find anything, I'm not going to linger around as a sub in hopes of getting my foot in the door. I don't want to become that loyal sub who sticks around for years thinking that it will eventually lead to a teaching position. I'm not naive and I need financial stability.

I'm going to give it until the end of the summer--volunteer within the community until then--and move onto a different career path, if I don't get a teaching job. At this rate, it looks like my days as a teacher--which weren't many to begin with!--are over.

learn&love88

Rejection letter
Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

berrygirl: I am glad that the school system sends out letters to those tho don't receive the job. They also send out emails apparently (as I received not only a letter... but an email 2 days after receiving the letter). I always get anxious when it's been a while since I heard back because they do send letters. I wish, instead of just informing me that "they have selected a more highly qualified teacher for the position" they would let me know more about why I wasn't selected. How am I supposed to change anything and get a job if I don't get any feedback as to what I'm doing wrong!!

ElemK5: It seems like it's more of a "who ya know" kinda word out there, even in education. Which just doesn't seem right to me. Should we really be hiring people just because they know "so and so" as opposed to hiring the person who is the most qualified for the position??
Another thing I never understood was how you were supposed to get teaching experience in order to get a teaching job if you can't get a teaching job in order to get the teaching experience. How do you do that?
learn&love88 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemK5

Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

learn&love88, I couldn't agree with you more. It seems now more than ever schools are hiring people because they A) Know someone or B) Long-Term Subbed/was a Para in the school. Just because people worked there doesn't mean they are the best fit. I remember teacher's in the school I student taught at complaining about a Long-Term sub in one of the other Elementary Schools. The Long-Term sub ended up getting a full-time position for the next school year. I applied, said I student taught in the district... was familiar with the students, parents, area, curriculum, etc. and still had no interview. I feel like Principals take the easy way out in hiring people that are there instead of really seeing who is a good fit.

I feel like the best way to get in is to Long-Term Sub. It's teaching experience and you get to show the Principal and other teachers what you can do... as opposed to subbing in various classrooms and simply following a teacher's directions. The problem is... in NJ it's hard to even land a Long-Term sub job. I've applied to so many places over the past year and had the same issue... no interviews.

teacherwriter

Yes, yes and yes
Old 06-18-2011, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I would love to get some sort of response and feedback. I figure a letter is too expensive, but email would be nice. Unfortunately, I'm getting no responses unless I specifically ask people what my status is, and only then do I learn that they hired someone else without interviewing me. No remarks on why; I'm certified and have sub experience in all the schools where I applied. I have been told in a few cases that they hired "internal candidates." That's frustrating. I have no idea whether that person actually has more skill than I do or was just there and they had an obligation to him/her. Sigh. Even more exasperating is that I don't think districts look at sub experience as "real" teaching experience. In fact, one district specifically said, in boldface letters and capitals, do not list substitute teaching experience. Well, then, what benefit is it to actually get into the classroom as a sub and learn what to do?

I haven't quite given up, but I am discouraged at how quickly jobs disappeared. I figure there might--might--be more just before school, since sometimes people move around. But I'm going to apply elsewhere too. I found a handful of jobs on a Web site that looks like possibilities; I'm going back to my old employer (who laid me off two years ago); and I think I'll expand to look at other related fields. If I can't track anything down by mid-August, I'm going to relaunch my microbusiness. Sigh. Who knew three years ago, when I began applying for master's programs, that it was going to be like this? I apologized to my husband the other day for having wasted so much time and money...

graciegurl101

Ditto here
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I feel bad for my DH too. He is so down, he is never down. He has worked literally since he was a fourteen year old boy, men's jobs not grocery bagging stuff. So it is very hard on him. When he was nineteen he was supervising some then even, so for him, this is completely puzzling. I feel so bad for him and don't understand why I didn't check into this further before signing up. I had well meaning people who truly believed they always hired people. These well meaning people are now aware of what is really happening themselves and also thinking of early retirement or switching from teaching themselves. In short, the people getting paychecks and contracts are truly clueless about how bad it is. My DH even works with people who were laid off in their 40's and 50's or lost their own companies, , but he still has trouble understanding everything. It is truly embarrassing. We only know one teacher in our group or crowd and she is taking off after being RIF'd to stay at home with her children she says, so he really can't go by that either. I don't think it is just teaching but other fields, I think it is the economy. I want to apply but can't stand looking to see what little is posted anymore, so I am doing what I can to focus on enjoying the summer and being there for him. When I do take the barely min wage job I will have to work to get if I can get that, then I am going to say it is for expenses and transitional, I am not admitting to defeat. No one else does in our circle, they act like everything is fine, I am going to say "I'm fine, we're doing great". I don't know what else to do at this point.

logeyjoesmom

Hang in there...
Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I have a job (but am in constant fear of losing it) in a STRUGGLING district. I have been trying to get out and get into a more stable place... but no luck. I have great recommendations and good experience. Unfortunately, I have only been given one interview (but wouldn't matter... I don't have the $1000 to break my contract). Last year most of my teaching friends lost their jobs due to cut backs, but most found jobs by October. Many districts are going bare bones until they have exact numbers of students and exact $$ from the state. Keep the faith that you will fine something.

Good Luck!
logeyjoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote