Gifted Education

Brand new to gifted!

>

bubbly25

Brand new to gifted!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

This will be my first year teaching a second grade enrichment/gifted class. I know that when teaching gifted students they need work to challenge them to think at a higher level. How do you get your students to do this in reading, writing, math, science? I would just like some guidance to get me started... Anything else that I should know about teaching gifted students? What morning work is ideal for gifted second graders? What homework do you give your gifted students? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am new at this field of teaching and want to be an awesome teacher for my gifted kiddos!

bubbly25 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Enjoy
Old 07-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Will you have all gifted, all day? If so, you need to almost look at it as teaching third grade (or at least that's what I've always done). I make sure that students can master the grade level objectives, but then we just move right on to the next grade level - especially if you are feeding into a gifted third/fourth/etc.

Are they coming from a gifted first grade class where they've already been introduced to the gifted way of thinking/learning? If so, that makes it a little easier because they know what to expect. If not, you need to spend some time teaching them what "gifted" means - finding their strengths and weaknesses, finding their passions, finding their own learning styles... there is a great book if you can find it by George Betts, Autonomous Learner for K-3. I tried to find it online, but apparently he is no longer selling it, as the website is dead... If you will PM me I will be glad to share the info I have from it, as I've attended several of his training sessions. He is amazing.

Also, check out most any thing from Bertie Kingore, Nancy Polette, her son Keith Polette

These, IMHO, are four of the best for differentiating for gifted kids, and giving you stuff you can actually USE, not just theory and "how to."
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kindercowgirl

Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You want to go deeper into their given objectives. Even though they are GT, you will still likely have a spectrum of academic abilities; they also may have gaps from what they have already learned. Lots of projects, collaborative problem-solving, writing from different perspectives, ethics--anything to incorporate creativity. Think about using different kinds of products-they could write a skit or interview a historical figure for social studies or create an invention in science.

Their morning work and homework will still be what skills they need to review. I used to make up a sheet for the morning with some analogies or just give them a shape and have them turn it into something then write about it.

You'll love it! Be prepared to go off track daily with all their questions!
Kindercowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

cowboysrule

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too will be new to the gifted program. I will be working with students from K-5 in various teaching styles including co-teaching, small group, and pull out. From all of the research I have gathered so far and have done in previous years within the classroom, I typically look at the curriculum 1-2 years ahead of the grade I am working with. I did this mostly with my higher level math students. This way they could see the relationship between what their 4th grade curriculum was focusing on to what we were doing in the enrichment lesson. I am hoping to try and do this with the other grades now that I will be working with the larger population instead of just those in my class.
cowboysrule is offline   Reply With Quote

lucylou2011

Homework, reading, research and service
Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When Differentiating in a classroom, you can give different homework assignments to different kids. For example, when you are practicing double digit addition problems, give your higher level math kids, a triple digit or higher practice sheet.

Other considerations: Find a subject that the children are crazy about. Each year, it may be different. One year, my class decided to write puppet shows and performed them for the younger grades. Another year, they were crazy about Greek Mythology and wrote plays adapted from the "comic style" greek myths we read in class.

Good book selections for second grade gifted students can revolve around Beverly Cleary books. They are about 5th grade level but appropriate for second graders in topics/subject matter. You can also focus on the Roald Dahl books. They are high level, sometimes about bright children who don't fit in, and they are enjoyable. I would pick an author for the year and do an author study (read all of this author's books all year).

Another idea: self directed research. Brainstorm topics, students choose a topic of interest, have parents approve the topic, and visit the local library together. Librarians can pull books in advance for you if you give them your topic list. Teach note taking skills. Write reports or do power points. Second graders can teach themselves how to make power points. Give them a rubric in advance and the requirements and off they'll go.

Service projects: Have your class come up with a cause near and dear to their hearts. Raise money for this cause as a group. Sell Smencils to the other students. Donate the profits to the charity of choice. Kids in this age group love to help others. (local charities- animal shelter, food bank, senior citizen nursing homes, etc.)

The bottom line: Take your standards and group them. If you need to teach economics, then built your lessons around books and a major project that they can work on in class. (Like a class market- where students make items to "sell" in their class stores. (fake money used). Enrich, extend and enlighten them.

It's very rewarding working with gifted children!

lucylou2011 is offline   Reply With Quote