Help

The Job Search

Brochure

>

Ms Honey

Brochure
Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I finally finished a brochure I will include with my cover letter and resume. I posed not long ago asking about a sample brochure and someone was generous enough to show me a sample they completed during student teaching.

She also suggested putting in pics of yourself working with students and maybe positive quotes from observations by staff, admin, parents or university people. I thought that was a good idea for someone just starting out.

Well, this is what I came up with.

Does it seem too wordy? Any typos? Does the concept map seem confusing? Where does your eye travel first and second?

Any feedback you can give is appreciated.

Last edited by Ms Honey; 07-15-2011 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: forgot someting
Ms Honey is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Ms. Honey
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Did you forget to attach your brochure? I am so interested in seeing one of these since I saw something posted about them not too long ago.

Or are you able to attach things yet? I hope so!
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Ms Honey
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 AM
This message has been deleted by Ms Honey. Reason: no needed

Hideeho

Fiddlesticks
Old 07-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't open files like that. Every time I try, I get led to screens that tell me I need software that I'd have to buy.

I would so love to see your brochure, really don't want to make more work for you, but is there any way you could attach this in a different way?

I understand if you can't or don't want to do more work.

teachmesande

Old 07-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

what a great idea!!
teachmesande is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Honey

No problem
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can anyone tell me how to convert to pdf? I see people doing that all the time on some of the other boards. I made the brochure in Publisher. I tried to copy and past to Word but it isn't working out quite right.

Hideeho

Not sure
Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You could check this site out to see if it's what you need.

http://www.pdftoword.com/?utm_source...aign=Issue8_v1

justdance

thanks for sharing
Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Very cool idea!
justdance is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Honey

I figured it out!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Right on the file menu it says "Publish as PDF". Duh!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Teacher Brochure.pdf (257.9 KB, 882 views)

Hideeho

Got it! Love it!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I absolutely love it! How impressive this is! You will just have to stand out by including this.

I did not see any typos or mistakes at all. The concept map is fantastic. Really, my eyes went to the center, then just top and bottom. Kind of looking it over to see what was there, then I went back to really read it.

This is NOT a criticism and not mistakes, but a couple of things about rules. I've read lots that strongly suggest having 3-5 rules and try very hard not to include words such as: not, don't, and so forth.

I definitely understand your wanting the rule for the kids to be quiet while you are teaching. Perhaps you could say "Talk at the appropriate times" or "Be quiet when the teacher teaches". Not sure. I haven't given it tons of thought.

I just really love not only the idea, but also your brochure. Thank you so much for sharing.

Ms Honey

Thank you Hideeho
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For really giving my brochure a thorough look. I do plan to take a final look before sending them out so your feedback is invaluable.

I know what you mean about the rules, I have read 3-5 rules max as well. Probably 3 or 4 rules for K-2 and up to 5 or 6 for intermediate grades. I will be going for jobs in the inner city and administrators want to know that you have STRONG classroom management from day 1 in order to get the maximum student achievement. Everything depends on the group of students you have in any given year and that can be pretty varied in any school.

Thanks again

driventoteach

Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Your brochure is very colorful and eye-catching.

Just a few things...

-Principles of a Successful Classroom need to be taught day one, not just first quarter.

-Also, as another PTer stated, in your rules you should not say "no talking" or "no running." Change it into something like "Respect others when they are talking." Also think of maybe changing classroom rules to classroom expectations.

-Consequences: I do not think many teachers still write names on the board. Consider changing that consequence unless that school in particular has a behavior board.
driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Driven2BG

Suspended
Brochures are old.....
Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Switch to a blog/website, where you can put your information about yourself and portfolio. Also, it is easier for a principal to go to a website than to look at a brochure.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Honey

Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am now in the process of revising. How you choose to handle student behavior depends on the population you're working with. The reality is that the majority of the children I work with are coming from HIGHLY disfunctional households. I am talking about drug addiction, violence and generational poverty. These are kids who are mainly responsible for themselves; even in third grade. You have to be precise about everything and in control. If the teacher does not seize each day, the students will take over; even young children.

Driven2BG, if you actually take a look at the brochure, you would see that my web address is listed on the brochure. If you read my first post, this brochure will be mailed with cover and resume. Many job postings in my city do not provide an email option. Many principals are just not tech savvy. There is actually a principal shortage in my city. There is high principal and teacher turnover in areas like the one I described above.

I am now working on my web site but I do not think I want to create a blog because it seems like it would take up too much time.

KellyTeachTX

Brochures
Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't think Brochures are old at ALL. Good Job!

KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

justdance

I love the brochure
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have even used it as a guide and am in the process of entering my info into it. I am a good "hands-on smell-the-paper" kind of gal! But that's just me
justdance is offline   Reply With Quote

driventoteach

Old 07-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I don't follow your comment... I was just giving advice. You don't have to follow, but I know that principals don't want to hear you write students' names on the board.

Ms Honey

driventoteach
Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Principals in my state (other side of the country) do not care what you do, as long as you can manage the classroom and there is evidence of student achievement.

My comment to you relates to the fact that every population and every group of students are different. If you have never taught in a similar environment to the one I described then you don't really know what is best for my classroom as far as discipline.

There is nothing wrong with putting names on the board. It is a quick way to inform kids when they are being inappropriate without interrupting the lesson.

I am not new to this teaching thing.

imafive

Great idea!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I feel a principal is more likely to look at the brochure in their hands than type in your web address on the computer! Plus it shows you are willing to put in that extra something to get their attention. Best of luck!
imafive is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Honey

Thanks to all you positive people!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Good luck with your job searches. I will keep you posted if the brochure brings in better results.

To the snarky people, well...God bless you is all I can say.

Hifiman

I have never heard of the brochure thing
Old 07-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

but I really like it. It gives some good information and shows a bit of creativity as well. Great job.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 07-16-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Never heard of a brochure used in that way, either, but I like it! Very creative, IMO. I agree that Ps are likely not going to take the time to check out a website(in this case), but will look at something in their hands. You've been given some good suggestions. Let the *snarkers* roll off your back.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Old 07-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Is the website, listed on the brochure, active? I think the brochure is a great introduction and easy to peruse. If a principal wants to know/see more, he/she can visit your website.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Great Idea!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

What a great idea! A principal will definitely remember a brochure because it is not typical. Also, you are correct about being tech savvy...a lot of principals still aren't. We give them a paper resume, why wouldn't we give them a paper brochure?
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Honey

I'm still working on the web site
Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

so I haven't published it yet. I will send a shout out when it is done.

Hopefully, if a principal wants to know more, they will call me in for an interview

driventoteach

Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

You don't know what population I have taught and I am not new to the game either. I was just trying to give you suggestions that will make a difference. Instead of taking the advice, you decided to shoot down everything I said. Think about what has been said and do some research.

Never ever put a child's name on the board. It is the one thing that is their's and their's alone. Do not put a negative connotation** to it by putting it on the board for all to see as being a "misbehaving" child.

Furthermore, do not ask for someone to review your work if you are not willing to hear critiquing.

Last edited by driventoteach; 07-17-2011 at 07:15 AM..

crackerjill

Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Ms Honey, as a fellow Chicago teacher, I LOVE your brochure! I wish I had something similar back when I was applying for jobs last year (and I might use it to look for new positions next year!).

I think it's a great/simple way for principals to get a quick overview of who you are, and it's so organized!

Don't give up on finding a job! I got called for an interview for a job on a Wednesday (that I hadn't even applied for!), 2 weeks before school started last year, had my interview on Thursday, got offered the position on Friday, and went to new teacher training on Monday!

Have you applied to lots of the suburbs? Some of the "less desirable" districts have open positions, and that at least gets your foot in the door?

Good Luck!

PS - My principal actually advised me to write student's names on the board with a check mark system, so I agree, in our area it's really whatever works.
crackerjill is offline   Reply With Quote

lovekdg

Like the idea
Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Ms. Honey,
I do like this brochure you made and am sure it will impress the administrators that you took the time to do this!! Way to go!!

Now, please do not take offense because most of your brochure is great; however, I do agree that you may want to revisit the wording of your expectations/rules and the consequences. I have taught for 11 years in a VERY high poverty area and know that these kids hear so many negatives at home and their name is often yelled for being in trouble. School is the one place that some of these kids feel safe and loved. I do think another way for students to be accountable for their behavior would be most effective and encouraging. There are endless ideas for behavior management and I hope you will consider a different one.

Good luck with the job search! You sound dedicated and professional!!
lovekdg is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I LOVE this idea. Your looks great. It think the blog idea is a good on too. Infact if I were you I'd do both. I agree with pp that the brochure in hand at the time of the interview would be best. The blog is just a bonus to toot you own tech horn which never hurts.

I'm wishing you super good luck
aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8*Teacher

I LOVE your brochure idea also!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I haven't even opened it yet, so I am in for a nice surprise! I haven't heard of using a brochure like this, but I can tell you....I think it is a FABULOUS idea! I also believe that a principal is much more apt to read your brochure than check out a website. However, having access to your blog or website is a plus, if he/she is interested in pursuing you further!

Someone mentioned that brochures were old/out?? I guess it depends on who you are. I don't think they're old at all.

As for names on the board, I never like to give students that are misbehaving any more negative attention than they are already seeking. In fact, I never right anyone's name on the board. I can assure you though, many teachers still write names on the board. I think it is just a preference like all other procedures and practices in a classroom. Without having opened your brochure yet....always state everything in a positive manner.

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see it and then update my resume with a brochure idea like yours.

Good luck and I hope you have awesome success in the job search!
Gr8*Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

YankeeGal

Great Idea!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I love your brochure; how clever and creative! You received great advice from just about everyone else as far as wording and such. Best of luck to you!
YankeeGal is offline   Reply With Quote

loves2teach2

Brochure- my opinion
Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I read through this post and I'm going to give my point of view. I recently decided to move from Maryland to New Jersey. I am all about technology and have a class webpage filled with information. I also was one of the first teachers to receive a SMART Board in my district. With that said- Brochures rock! I created one last year for my open house- ABC's of second grade and the parents loved it! P.S. The idea came from a teacher on proteacher!

I just interviewed and brought along my brochure and it totally sealed the deal for me! I used tons of photos and discussed hot topics like technology, differentiation, Daily 5, etc. The team that interviewed me said it was very powerful. I think it's all about what you put in it.

As for behavior, I believe everyone and every classroom is different. I found that the more positive you are the better! I only use a reward/ positive behavior system and it has worked wonders!

Good luck with the job search!
loves2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

terrid

Love the idea
Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I love the idea of a brochure. I think it would be very impressive to a principal. Good luck!

loves2teach2, I think I am going to make an ABC brochure for my parents. I teach Title I and sometimes do not have the parent interaction that I would like. Maybe this would help the parents to become more involved.
terrid is offline   Reply With Quote

jleszczynski

Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I used a brochure that included my Teaching Philosophy, All about me, and then just a summary of things that I would assume would come up in an interview. It's been great, and I was hired and she said the brochure helped me stand out from everyone else! I will see if I can attach it.

Also, get them printed by Vistaprint. They look amazing and professional, and when you get them for free off of there, it's always a good thing.
jleszczynski is offline   Reply With Quote