Help

Fifth Grade

'Zines????

>

illtchu2007

'Zines????
Old 08-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently read a blog from a fellow teacher who did a project called 'Zines. Pretty much the kids make their own magazines based on a topic either given to them or chosen by them. Has anybody ever used this in the classroom? If you have, how did you start? I'm keep hitting road blocks when it comes to finding information about this. The whole concept sounds great to me, but I have no idea how to do it. Please help.

illtchu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Proxi

Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Love the idea! Geez, I was going to do a graphic novel unit study, but this sounds like a lot of fun as well! Way to make me want to add more things to my year.

Here are some ideas off of the top of my head (And I am going to get researching to see if I will be able to do the same thing in my class!):
- Make it a passion project... their magazine can be on any topic of their choosing
- Integrate technology... eg. the cover can be done on the computer, and maybe they can even take digital pictures to enhance their magazine layout
- Pick a few different types of texts, and really focus on text features such as headings, subheadings, bullet points, sidebars, and Table of Contents.

Maybe I will make it a project during my Guided Reading groups... hmmm...... I would love to see where you originally saw the idea. If you get a change can you share the link?
Proxi is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Cool!!!! (dates me, I know!)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am very tired of the newspaper ideas---this would be so fun for everyone, including more graphics.
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote