Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

classroom management systems

>

teacher24

classroom management systems
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't necessarily know how I feel about behavior/discipline charts. I usually have them, but I can't say that I consistently use them. I am looking for something to use this year. I've used the green yellow red system, bees in the beehive, monkeys in the tree, blah blah. I started using the clip chart last year, but I didn't stick with it (boo me, i know). I am looking for something that really helps the children understand how their positive behaviors are good choices and their negative behaviors are not good choices. any suggestions for the upcomming school year? what is everyone else doing?

teacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

M.E./PK

M.E./PK

Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Though I've seen behavior charts work, I'm not really a fan. During the first week of school, the class has a discussion about what a rule is, and the kids come up with rules for our classroom. (They need a little bit of guidance, but for the most part they come up with the ideas on their own). Then during the year I refer back to the rules that they created - it's great because they have a real sense of ownership over the rules, and in my experience, because they came up with them, they try extra hard to follow them. (I teach 4 year olds, I don't know how well this would work with younger children).

I also found the book "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?" by Carol McCloud last year, and my kids LOVED it! It basically says "Everyone has an invisible bucket. When you are feeling happy your bucket is full, and when you are feeling sad your bucket is empty. When you do/say nice things to others you are filling their bucket, and when you say/do mean things you are dipping into their bucket." etc, etc. It gives kids a great new way of talking about their feelings, and it helps them begin to understand that their behavior affects others - in both good and bad ways.

Hope this helps!

whitewingdove

Conscious Discipline
Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Please please please pick up a copy of Becky Bailey's Conscious Discipline. It is the best book on classroom management I've ever read and I've adopted the entire philosophy into my classroom. It is based on current brain research and how children develop socially and emotionally. It does not rely on behavior charts. It is a system that teaches children (even our youngest learners) accountability and self control. I encourage you to check it out!
whitewingdove is offline   Reply With Quote

timespent

Conscious Discipline
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use Dr. Bailey's Conscious Discipline as well and I love it. It's amazing how even the most difficult behavioral issues can be resolved when a child has the tools he/she needs to learn accountability and self-control, especially when it leaves the child's dignity and self-worth intact.
timespent is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Julie

Conscious Discipline
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also encourage you to check out Conscious Discipline. It really works!

Ms Julie is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the book idea. I have always used Love and Logic for Preschoolers, etc...but I just ordered the Concious Discipline book too-- it looks good!
PPCDTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

punchinello

Old 08-12-2011, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How are L&L and Conscious Discipline the same/different?
punchinello is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher24

Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks everyone. I just received my copy of Conscious Discipline in the mail today. I am already liking it.

lissamarree

Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Two years ago I stopped using the traffic light system. Our PreK cooridinator suggested that kids should come to school and earn, rather than come in already at "green" and lose it. The traffic light was not working for me, either the kids didn't undertand the concept So I set up a chart on posterboard where the left column is a picture schedule (I use velcro in case there are changes), the kids' pictures are at the top row. After each time block we meet back at the shape rug and I stamp a star under their picture if they earn it. At the end of the day we count the stars and give out stickers/stamp a happy face on their folder to those that earned their stars. Most can lose up to 2-3 stars and still earn their sticker. 4 of 5 happy faces in a week and they get treasure box. My class is a blended typical/ese class so I adjust it for the ones that need it.

Hope this makes sense!

I'm still browsing for other ideas, though, just to see what everyone else is doing.

Lissa
lissamarree is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher24

Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Lissa,
that is a good idea. I think i will try it. I am bored with the traditional traffic light system, and it sounds nice to come back to the carpet after each activity to check in. I am also thinking about trying to make a poster using clipart of children doing things like raising their hands, etc to use as a reminder of some of the things that will help our classroom run more smoothly.

lissamarree

Old 08-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks. Returning to the carpet to transition was an idea I got from another prek teacher in my district. It has made a world of difference! We sing a song (tune of happy & know it) "have a seat on your shape on the floor..." and the kids even made up their own song "criss cross applesauce, criss cross applesauce, on the floor, on the floor..."

Have a great school year!

Lissa
lissamarree is offline   Reply With Quote

mollygirl

Info please
Old 08-20-2011, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi!

I've just started a once-a-month 10 month training on this. Can you tell me about a "Safe Place?" I just can't seem to find the right spot to make one.

Thanks for your input.

Mollygirl
mollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote