Help

Intervention & Title I Services

TI Math Program Direction Question

>

looping

TI Math Program Direction Question
Old 03-20-2007, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

1. My principal wants whatever it takes for improved math scores on upcoming state assessments-six weeks away.

2. Some of my students' classroom teachers want me supporting skills they are teaching now-mostly fractions.

3. I want to work on number sense activities.

I have just started working with some new groups of 3rd, 4th and 5th graders due to change in our TI program; I was reading and math and now I am all math due to low state math assessments from last November.
I get dizzy trying to figure this all out. As usual, thank you so much,

looping is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

A strand a day
Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

is the way I am planning for the remainder of the year - by this I mean the lesson on Monday is Data Analysis & Probability; Tuesday Number Sense; Wednesday GeoMeasure (Geometry/Measurement); Thursday
Algebraic Thinking; and Friday Review and Assessment. I am working to review each strand each day - in bellwork as well as review prior to lesson of the day and reinforce in homework and also though science and some type of game played with the class each day. We are through with state testing; however, math continues with the end of the year math test in May......that covers all 5 strands. I am hoping to use this method next year from the beginning of the year along with following the county math calendar with some adjustments in order that my class will be more prepared for state testing in 2008. We will see how it goes.....
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote
rray

rray

Me, too!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel the same thoughts...sometimes, as a former 3rd grade teacher, I feel lost without the curriculum of the book...I didn't teach to the book all the time, but it was a map to follow to make sure I didn't just do what was fun or easy to me or the group I had...
With what I have now, some teachers want me to just tutor their students through the regular work, and some leave me hanging out there on a limb to do my own thing...some I can plan with, other's ... well, it is a diplomatic thing. I was told when I was placed in this position it was because I am the "Ultimate Team Player" but somedays, team playing gets old.

I really like the idea of a strand a day...how long are your class periods? I have an average of 30 minutes with each group, some everyother day...it makes short order of whatever I do.

benteach

In a regular day
Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the math period is 45 minutes - I am a general ed third grade teacher
with the worst schedule in the school - math is consistent every day after spelling from 8:15-9:05 then restroom break with exception of Friday when it from 8:15-8:45 just long enough for a weekly assessment.
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

looping

Good Advice
Old 03-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the suggestions and help. I'm printing it all out now.

looping is offline   Reply With Quote

fraziet

I have a suggestion for Math Teachers. TF
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We too are struggling with getting each student ready for state assessment but I've developed a way that seems to have helped out. We are a small school in Kansas. Are state education department has developed a program called Kan-Ed. They provide us with an example of math questions that could or will be tested in March. What I've did is to take that entire list of outcomes and break it down so that I have one question from each strand everyday for bell work. Each day we have 4 questions for bellwork. Question #1 deals with number sense, Question #2 deals with Algebra, Question #3 deals with Geometry and Question #4 deals with Statistics. Even though there are some days that we run out of questions for outcome #3, we just take one from the weeks before and rerun it by the kids a second time. I developed this for our 6th, 7th, and 8th math teachers this year to use for bellwork. Our 6th grade teacher is the only one that successfully used it all year long. His scores out performed the 7th and 8th grade teachers scores by leaps and bounds. I was so proud of what the sixth grade students were capable of doing with the information after it had been taught over and over again. Many of the students said after they took the realy state assessment. Gosh, that was so easy, it was just like our bellwork questions.
fraziet is offline   Reply With Quote

fraziet

I have a suggestion for Math Teachers. TF
Old 05-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We too are struggling with getting each student ready for state assessment but I've developed a way that seems to have helped out. We are a small school in Kansas. Our state education department has developed a program called Kan-Ed. They provide us with an example of math questions that could or will be tested in March. What I've did is to take that entire list of outcomes and break it down so that I have one question from each strand everyday for bell work. Each day we have 4 questions for bellwork. Question #1 deals with number sense, Question #2 deals with Algebra, Question #3 deals with Geometry and Question #4 deals with Statistics. Even though there are some days that we run out of questions for outcome #3, we just take one from the weeks before and rerun it by the kids a second time. I developed this for our 6th, 7th, and 8th math teachers this year to use for bellwork. Our 6th grade teacher is the only one that successfully used it all year long. His scores out performed the 7th and 8th grade teachers scores by leaps and bounds. I was so proud of what the sixth grade students were capable of doing with the information after it had been taught over and over again. Many of the students said after they took the real state assessment. Gosh, that was so easy, it was just like our bellwork questions.
fraziet is offline   Reply With Quote