Help

Gifted Education

Uncooperative Groups

>

ubs

Uncooperative Groups
Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a veteran teacher but new to GT. I have 4 or 5 really bright, really quirky, out of the box thinking students. They have a horrible time working with others in "cooperative groups." They would much rather work alone. The rest of the class is very bright but can manage to work with others. I really don't know how to deal with this when we do so much group/partner work. I have discussed how in the real world you have to work with others. I have deducted points from them when doing group work. Does anyone have any practical suggestions?

ubs is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

A few thoughts
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you allowing them time to work alone? GT kids need time to work independently, as well as in groups.

Have you tried putti.g those kids in a group together? It could be they're so far ahead, they don't "fit" with the others in the class. I liken it to comparing a 100 IQ to a 130 IQ in a regular classroom, there's as just as great a variance between 130 and those >150 kids.

Be sure you have a variety of groupings, even within a day, no one wants to be in a group all the time. I hate working in groups, so does my daughter. We are both very introverted. Keep in mind, trying to force an introvert to be more extroverted can cause extreme stress.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello! This is my first time with many gifted students and I have started to do some research. The studies stated that these kids need to be together with kids at their level because they are so much ahead of others we may have in class. Levels of conversation are higher, and they actually speak with adults more than their peers.

I team teach and we placed all the gifted together. I have them work together most often working on high level projects, reading research, or other activities which they will eventually present to their classmates. I have read that using these kids as helpers or tutors to other students causes frustration at their level.

There is a gifted/talented website that explains how different these children really are as learners. You can google gifted/talented for more information as I do not recall the name of the site.

Best of luck! I am really enjoying working with these students as I try to find activities that are of interest and out of the norm for them...so far so great! I have one who is a big challenge for me as he loves to question "everything"...I, have given him much to think about so far!
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote
parent of gif

parent of gif

group work
Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Stop making them work together! Quirky out of the box people can't get others to cooperate.
Your only frustrating yourself and these kids.