The Job Search

what do you think of this?

>

newteacher12

newteacher12

what do you think of this?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had two job offers, one from a private school and one from a public school. I turned down the job offer from the public school and accepted the private school job. Now the private school tells me that they offered me the job in anticipation of a resignation from one of their current teachers. I guess that teacher has decided not to resign and now there is no position for me. It's too late to get the job with the public school but I would like to keep in touch with them for next school year in case they have any openings. Do you think this is a good idea? What do I say in the letter? I will need to tell them that the job fell through but how do I say it in a nice way without coming across as negative?

Tounces

two
Old 01-17-2006, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How long has it been between the offer and when you turned it down? Are you sure its too late to get the other job now? Did you sign a contract with the private school? If you don't have a signed contract its not a guarantee. The public school probably won't like to learn that they were your second choice. I wouldn't tell them at all about the other job. I guess you can tell them that after thinking about their offer, you have reconsidered and would be glad to work for them. If it's too late, maybe they have another opening. Make sure in the future that you don't turn down an offer until the other one is in writing. If they did have you sign a contract, I would think they have to honor it. I don't think I would like to work for a school who interviews teachers for a job that doesn't exist. Hopefully, the public school will have more openings. I'd try there over that private school.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote
newteacher12

newteacher12

job has been filled
Old 01-17-2006, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, the position has been filled. I did not sign a contract but since it was a religious organization, I thought it was a pretty safe bet. They feel really badly about it, but that doesn't help me much.

The public school knows that I took the other job as I was up front with them about it right from the beginning since both interviews happened pretty much on top of each other. They were very happy for me as they know I'm anxious to get into teaching. They also know it's a temporary contract and said that I should keep in touch after the school year ends. And another reason why I'll need to tell them about not getting the job is because if I reapply for another position with them, they will see from my resume that I don't have any teaching experience (provided I don't get another job in the meantime) so I will need to explain that anyway.

I feel kind of dumb about the whole thing but I think it's best to be up front about it, tell them what happened and hope that they will have some openings later, and still want to consider me.

psc

it's not your fault
Old 01-18-2006, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree. Be honest....there is no need for them to take what happened personally. They should understand & if they liked you enough to want to hire you in the first place, they'll probably be glad to know that you're still available.

Good luck!
psc is offline   Reply With Quote
newteacher12

newteacher12

thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That was very encouraging. I'm going to write the letter and see what happens!