Advocacy Workshop..can you top this one? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Gifted Education

Advocacy Workshop..can you top this one?

>

josephineg

Advocacy Workshop..can you top this one?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm going to a workshop tomorrow on advocating for the gifted children in my state, sponsored by the state ass'n for gifted children. I'm also in Mensa. I talk to fellow Mensans all the time now about their experiences in education. To be candid, I'm continually shocked by the stories adults who are gifted tell me about their educational experiences. The latest story, from a guy in his 50s: he was in a class for slow learners (!) until 8th grade because he had some spelling deficits and had been diagnosed with mild brain dysfunction (which he says today would be called ADHD). He still daydreams the way he did as a child, he says, but based on my experiences with him, I see no signs of ADHD as I understand it. Well, when he was in 8th grade, the school would not put him on a college bound track, and his dad finally insisted on an IQ test. When they got the test results back, they wouldn't even tell him his score, only that he had scored in the 80th percentile (top 20 percent). They let him take college-bound classes and he went on to get a degree in mathematics. If it hadn't been for his dad's insistence, he wouldn't even have been allowed to have taken algebra in high school.

Sadly, so many of the (mostly new) teachers I've talked to recently don't "get" that someone can have a disability AND be gifted. If schools are not required to test for IQ, how will these students be identified and served? How seriously do schools and states take this?

Please tell me what state you are in (I'm in NJ) and let me know how this works in your state, who slips through the cracks in terms of identification, and if you can you top this story for me. I find this all really fascinating. Should I be thinking about writing a book about all this?

josephineg is offline   Reply With Quote

seansmom

seansmom

I can't top it but
Old 05-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have already had a similar experience with one of my son's teachers. He is gifted, especially in the area of Language Arts -- way above grade level. I requested a conference with the teacher because she gave his class (7th grade) 3 weeks to do an outline. She refused to take his work early and was teaching him procrastination so I went to talk with her. It was a 41/2 hour long conference. She told me that he needed to slow down and keep up with the class. I blew a gasket and insisted on modifications be made so that his advanced needs were met -- especially since he has already been accelerated and is still above his peers. I have to continually keep tabs because she is constantly breaking the modifications. I have notified the principal but my emails are not even opened ( I work in the same district) Thank goodness the year is almost over and I won't have to deal with this teacher again

sfeller

In Utah...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I recently did some research on Twice Exceptional children (children who are both gifted and disabled). Sadly, they are falling through the cracks in my state as well. While there are programs out there, there is currently no protocol for identification or services of 2X children in my district or state. Our Special Education Department (when interviewed) feels that there aren't enough of these children to warrant screening for them.

I'm glad you're taking an interest in this subject. I wish more people would follow suit!
sfeller is offline   Reply With Quote

josephineg

teacher constantly breaking modifications
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for sharing. Your son's teacher is underserving your son. (Google "our small poppies" and read a good related article.) If she is not implementing the modifications, then there either need to be other modifications implemented, or perhaps he should be accelerated another grade? I'm concerned that the principal is not even opening your emails. I would print them out and send them. I wonder if the principal is getting your emails and why they are not being opened--I'd follow up on that.

What state are you in?

What sort of modifications have already been tried by this teacher, if any, and which ones have not yet been tried, if you can say?

Maybe there are other alternatives which your son's school would be open to that would support him, e.g., distance learning, independent study, curriculum compacting, contract, or taking a college course in language arts (on line or on campus), just to name a few.

yesteach

Removing the Mask
Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I too struggle with getting 2E kids identified. They always have trouble when it comes to testing... and in this I'm including GT/At-Risk, and GT/ELL, because these kids slip through the cracks as well...

The book I listed in the title is a great place to start looking for ways to identify and work with these kids. I just attended the second conference with Dr. Slocumb (who wrote the book) and he is just great. If you ever have the opportunity, attend his workshop/conference. In the meantime, buy the book...

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

josephineg

Even better than the last one
Old 07-13-2007, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just spoke yesterday with a guy in his 50s. As a child he had ODD, IED (Intermittent Explosive Disorder, I think), and ADHD. His father was in the military, and they were moving every year or more often.

After he really misbehaved in regular elementary school, he was put in the class for the "slow" students. He recalls three Downs Syndrome students in the class with him. When they all went to the library in third grade, he picked "A Tale of Two Cities" and the librarian said to him "You can't take that book." He took a temper tantrum, and the librarian changed her mind.

He had been put into the "slow" class unbeknownst to his parents. The school had his reading tested in third grade, where he tested reading at the level of a sophomore in college!!!!!! After that, they put him into regular and/or honors classes.

Yikes!