Help

Fifth Grade

38 5th Graders- HELP!

>

lblau6680

38 5th Graders- HELP!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year I'll be moving from 1st to 5th grade. I need major advice. Keep in mind I'll have over 35 students and NO AID. Also I work in a very low low income area. Any advice would be great!

lblau6680 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Sometimes . . .
Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the causes of alcoholism are not genetic!
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

ZenTeach

Welcome to 5th Grade
Old 05-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry that you have to deal with 38 students. the best advice I can give you, I also work in a low socioeconomic (sp?) school. The makeup of our classes consists of students who are identified for Reading, Writing, and Math also we have Students who are BD and Life Skills in our classrooms. The majority of the class needs academic help and we have reading ranges from 1st grade to 7th. Okay so start with class management find a sytem that will work with 80-85% of you classroom. I use a combination of ideas...love and logic, whole brain. I use 5 simple rules with gestures and we establish this on day 1...start stop model remodel...I use the phrase almost but not quite. We practice this a lot in the beginning. Also make sure to build relationships by commenting on something you noticed for an individual or the whole class. Be specific use the same verbage each day for rules and expectations. I know boring for you, but that many need to hear it all the time. I also use a scoreboard mentioned Whole brain. Establish routine, structure and organization asap. Then find another system that will help the 10% left, for me this year it turned out to be a ticket system...we had a class discussion about the best way to deal with these tickets. It has held my students accountable all year. Then the last few students you always need something extra earned time...extra tickets...behavior chart. These students will take up most of your time, if you do not deal with them right from the beginning. With 38 you need to find what works for you keep it simple and doable for you!
ZenTeach is offline   Reply With Quote