How long have you been seeking a teaching position? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

How long have you been seeking a teaching position?

>

waiting game

waiting game

How long have you been seeking a teaching position?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Out of curiosity, are any of you willing to share what you are certified in, where you live, and how long you have been seeking a position?

I believe the answers to that question will truly help me decide if I am completely going to give up my dream of teaching. I am sick of just long-term positions. They are such a tease. I hate to "give-up", but really, how long can one wait??

Velouria

Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm certified in elementary (my initial certification) and then obtained middle school math and family & consumer science. I'm 28 years old and have been trying to get a contracted job since I graduated at 22. 6 long years. Of those 6, I have had numerous LTS positions, including 2 non-consecutive full year positions. Each position went great with exemplary evaluations, but either the teacher returned, there were no available positions, or the teacher retired, but they cut the position instead. I've just had bad luck. In between, I did day to day subbing, which I do not enjoy all that much but make the best of it. I am almost ready to throw in the towel, but am interested to know how long others have been trying.
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

kysub

I am over 40, and I have quit looking
Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for a teaching position. All the districts around me seem to only hire teachers in their 20s. I think it is age discrimination, but how do I prove it? Also, men seem to get hired for jobs. Not to mention people's relatives getting hired. It is not going to happen for me. Good luck to everyone else.
kysub is offline   Reply With Quote

schmo75

they always show interest then poof!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been looking for two years. I've had some health issues....just wonder if I have a formal principal bad mouthing me?
schmo75 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmrhg

So far so good
Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds like I've been one of the lucky ones. I was hired in a district right after student teaching. Then, when husband was transferred to CA 3 years ago, I was lucky enough to find 2 positions: one at a private school, then a more permanent position at a Catholic School. Now that my husband has been transferred again (and hopefully for the last time), I'm searching for yet another job. We'll see how it goes this round.

kmrhg is offline   Reply With Quote

SunShining

Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I became certified to teach K-8 (but want to teach elementary, ideally primary) a year ago, so I have been looking for a teaching job for one year. It's not very long compared to others, but I still worry that I'm doing something wrong or there's something about me that principals don't like.

Good luck to everyone.
SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote
SubMan

SubMan

Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It took me 8 years to secure a fultime teaching position. When I graduated with a masters degree I was 30 years old. I am now 46 and furloughed. Many districts won't even interview me because of the number of years that I have in and masters degree. I am now in a position of stuggling to make ends meet and keep a roof over my head. Thank you Govenor Corbett for everything.

Lady Di

My Story
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am 46, a career changer, and have been looking for 3 years. I'm about to give up too! I don't enjoy subbing, unless I can get a LTS job. I think when and if the economy turns around, we'll all be in a better position to get jobs.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

eleteacher11

Have been looking
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

since October. I realize that isn't as long as some people and I hope everyone can find something soon! I really never thought it would be this difficult! Having said that, I am starting to look at other job options outside of teaching - which isn't so easy either. I need a job that offers full benefits and retirement. Good luck to all
eleteacher11 is offline   Reply With Quote

shopgirl78

2 years almost
Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

And I really wanted to SPED and lots of experience with persons with intellectual disabilities. I am a career changer also but haven't left this career yet...

I added two new certs (by exam) recently
8-12 social studies and 6-12 FCS. I had the SPED & 4-8.

I haven't really given it my all...I sub some but not all the time (since I still work FT elsewhere). Its really a bummer. I see some improvements this year than from hiring last year already. I just had another interview, so we will see....

shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote

4turtle

Forever....
Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

4 loooong years. *sigh*
4turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2teach715

A new state...
Old 06-08-2012, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

After moving to a new state..this is year 3 for me. I sub but I don't care for it because I don't like not knowing what I am going to be doing from day to day. I wish I could go back to my home state and get my old job back lol
Luv2teach715 is offline   Reply With Quote

aly7123

Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm certified in early childhood and elementary education and I've been looking for a teaching job for 7 years now. I turn 30 in less than a month and one thing on my bucket list was to find a full time teaching position before I turn 30. I just had an interview at a Catholic school this week for a pre-k position but I'm still waiting to hear back. Hopefully it's good news!
aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Behappy1

Old 06-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

All these posts scare me to the point of no return. I just graduated in May, so I have been looking for a teaching job for ONE MONTH!!! Yikes, I do wish you all the best. Keep trying, trying, trying, trying...we will all get to where we want to be...one day at a time.
Behappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 06-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Subman... I see you're from PA also. Don't even get me started on Corbett. I was at a hotel one day and he happened to be to the only other person (with his goons of course) eating at the hotel restaurant. 2 of the people I was with were also teachers, and the things we wanted to say to him... thanks to him my former district cut my position due to budget.
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

adrianhurt

Middle School
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Language Arts/Social Studies

I've had 23 interviews. I can remember 10 that have called and informed me that I wasnt hired. The other 13 left me hanging.

I just had #22 and #23 this week.

Hoping for good news next week.
adrianhurt is offline   Reply With Quote

bionicdivo4u

Re:
Old 06-08-2012, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Wow, I guess Im lucky

I got a teaching job 25 days after graduating. I was in a dual enrollment program ( BS +MEd).

I'm certified in all subjects 4-8.

Let me take that back, I wasn't lucky. I was blessed and I STILL AM BLESSED

Last edited by bionicdivo4u; 06-08-2012 at 08:58 PM..
bionicdivo4u is offline   Reply With Quote

kysub

I have been looking
Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

for 3 years. Certified in English and Spanish, grades 7-12. Masters degree. 3.5 years experience. over 40 years old. All the counties are hiring newbies, men, or relatives.
kysub is offline   Reply With Quote

ltmiller22

1/2 yr.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I moved from my hometown to Atlanta after getting married, my husband got a great job here. I didn't really start looking hard till a couple of months ago, but I havn't had one interview yet! I graduated a year ago and while I don't mind the city, I think because I really don't know anyone it has made it more difficult. Two of my references are high up in a school district back home... I am extremely thankful for everyone's help on PT though! I have found some very helpful tips from lots of knowledgeable people!
ltmiller22 is offline   Reply With Quote

hopeful10

My Story/ Career Flip Flopper
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm certified K-6 Elementary Education in both PA and FL. I graduated from Kutztown in Dec 2007 (I saw there were some others from PA). In Jan 2008 I transfered with Walmart to Florida (I worked there while attending college). Once in FL I started searching for teaching positions, but was unable to get hired. I ended up taking a position as a Co Manager for Bath and Body works, but still continued looking for work. I then took a job as a 3 year old teacher and got promoted to VPK at a childcare in Jan 2009. I recieved so many emails and letters in the mail from the schools in the district I was applying to which stated "they chose to go with a more qualified applicant". I think I only ever had 3 interviews in FL for teaching in the almost 2 years I lived there.

I ended up having to move back home to PA in Oct 2009 and after 1 interview at a charter school in Philadelphia I was hired. It was the only interview I had and I was HIRED! Just like that! I taught Kindergarten the 2009-2010 school year at the charter school and then moved back to FL.

I was able to get hired at a charter school in FL during a two week vacation from PA . I went home to PA for a week packed up my things and moved to FL to start the 2010-2011 school year. (I moved back to FL to be with my at the time boyfriend and now husband! ) Due to some personal issues I ended up leaving the charter school in Oct 2010 and went back to retail to become an Assistant Manager at Charlotte Russe. After being there for a little over a year and taking care of my personal issues, I decided I wanted to get back into education. I took a job teaching 1 year olds at a preschool in Dec 2011.

This time I've been actively looking for an elementary teaching position since April of 2012. I've had three interviews and am waiting to hear back from all three for results. I was hoping getting hired this time would be as easy as it was 2 years ago.
hopeful10 is offline   Reply With Quote
waiting game

waiting game

Eye opener
Old 06-09-2012, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I want to thank all of you for your replies! This has truly opened my eyes. I am kicking myself in the butt for turning down my dream job last year, but I did that for very good reasons. However, I will forever question that choice.

I will continue to look, and if it works out it works out. I believe everything does happen for a reason. I wish all of you the best of luck in your search!

What are we supposed to do with a teaching degree that doesn't require long crazy hours and a not so rewarding position??? That has been my challenge. What will I do once I give up?

jet setter

No interviews
Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm elementary K-6 certified with my Masters and this will be my 4th summer looking. I worked as an aide and with enough enrollment I was offered an interim position to teach. I got my own classroom and then when my time was up not offered a contract despite the fact I never had a bad review from my principal and the parents loved me. Since that time I've had no luck getting an interview (I apply with 13 different districts) and I'm about to give up.
jet setter is offline   Reply With Quote

TaraW1979

Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have been looking since June 2010. I worked in a public school teaching 7th grade language arts for three years (2007-2010) then they had their budget cuts and I got laid off (rifted). I got hired in a Catholic School teaching 4 days a week, 6 classes a day, but just the other day I was told I'm not being re-hired. I was upset at first, but it was only $80 a day and it's better off because I need to be seen in a public school. So I'm going to start subbing once again. My husband is also looking for a teaching job. Oh and I am certified in elementary and middle school language arts. I have applied to about 45 jobs this spring and only had one interview so far.
TaraW1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

job
Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I am certified in Early Childhood (age 3-3rd grade), ESOL K-12, and ESE K-12 in Florida. After graduating from college in 08 it took me exactly a year before getting a job at a charter school. I taught K for and year and then 1st grade for a year. This past school year (11-12) I took a position at a brand new charter school teaching 1st but that only lasted until October. I have been looking for a new position since October and am continuing the search...

Unfortunately, not only is the competition tough in my area but I also live close to the college I graduated from so the market is truly saturated with all of the new graduates each year.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilybug06

2 years.... Sigh!!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Long story short I had a job in a district and then had to move with the hubs. I was able to get a job in another district but go laid off due to budget cuts. We then ended up moving back to the 1st disrict where I had worked before. I was unable to get hired back on,after having great reviews and everything. So I have just been subbing and in fact I took an assistant job in October and a teaching job opened up in dec where I was at and i was bypassed again. They want who they want and it's always the student teachers or who the know. Oh well good luck I am still trying
Lilybug06 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemenTchr

4 & 1/2 years :(
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I graduated from college in Dec 2007 with my Elementary Ed. K-5 & Teacher of Students with Disabilities. By the 2008-2009 school year rolled around the bottom had fallen out of the New Jersey teacher market, thanks to Governor Christie, & all the funding cuts. For the 2009-2010 school year I took a job as a Kindergarten teacher at a private preschool. Once I started at the preschool I didn't get an interview with a public school again until November 2011. I was hired for a part-time basic skills position, which started in January of this year; however, I am now anxiously waiting for full time positions to become available in my current district, if there are any, & apply for them.

I'm happy to have my foot in the door with a public school district; however, I want to be in my own classroom so bad I can't see straight.

Good luck to all of those out there searching.
ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

learnalways

4 years
Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

It is going on four years for me. Pennsylvania. I have had many long term positions and quite a few interviews, but just can't land that job. I am sick about it, and ready to quit.
learnalways is offline   Reply With Quote

LawrenceRose

5 Years
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I am certified Elementary K-6 and have been looking for a teaching job for 5 years.

There are 46 districts within an hour's drive from me, and I check every district site everyday. I have applied to more than 60 positions in the last 6 months or so, and have had 4 interviews. Only 2 were true interviews for specific classroom positions, and even though they both went fantastically and I know that they both liked me, I was not chosen for either.

Thank you for this post. It has really made me see that I am not the only one dealing with this. Everyday it seems that there must be something wrong with me, because I don't know anyone personally that has been looking for this long. I know that there is a myriad of circumstances causing this situation, but I just cannot help but personalize it after this long.
LawrenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote

PeetaFan

Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, too. I am posting this just to show that it's not always so tough. I graduated in May 2011 and interviewed with 5 schools. Two principals called me to let me know that I did not get the job, but that I was one of the last cut based on experience (in both cases they hired a veteran teacher). Two schools sent me form-email generic rejections, and one never contacted me in any way. Fast forward to August 2011, one of the schools from which the P actually called me, calls to ask me to interview for a position that just opened up. I interviewed that day and was hired three hours later. (I am currently working on lesson plans for year two). The principal from my student teaching placement called me recently because a position opened up at his school.

It's hard, it's tough, and many teachers are looking and feeling hopeless. Try to stay optimistic - it can all work out.
PeetaFan is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvzTheBeach

Two long years....ere
Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I have had my masters in education/special education certification for almost 2 years now. I have had only one long term substitute position and the rest were day to day sub positions. I am very sad about this...
LuvzTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Bunjo

Try working as a Para first...
Old 06-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Hi All, I too decided a late in life career change. I started off as an engineer right out of college, then was a stay-at-home mom and now I have just signed a letter of intent for this fall as a 4th grade Math/Science/LA teacher. Whew, what a ride!!

Since I already had a Bachelors degree, I went to school for my Master's in Teaching. I did it on-line and at the same time worked as a Special Ed para. I did this for 3 years, then student taught and subbed all in the same district. It was a long road, but ended well.

For those of you still looking, perhaps you may want to look into working as a para. The pay is about the same as a sub, but you have a consistent schedule, there are no lessons to plan, no working after school, and you can get health benefits. The silver lining is that you build a relationship with the school and the district through your district trainings and working with multiple teachers and administrators. Can't hurt.

Good Luck and Don't give Up
Bunjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Katentheboys

Katentheboys

Stayed home to raise my babies
Old 06-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Hi All,
I taught 5 years in first grade here in TX. Then, in 2006, I had my second baby and opted to stay home with my boys. Ive subbed and taught pre-k to keep myself up to date. This year, my youngest will start K and Im job hunting. The market here is flooded and Im no longer in my twenties!
Anyone in DFW/Midcities here?
Prayers for everybody searching!
-Kate

beachbumteach

blessed
Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Wow. I feel truly blessed to have found my teaching jobs easily after reading all of these posts. I'm so sorry to those of you who have been searching for years.

I have been a teacher since I graduated college in 2000 with my BS in Elementary Education. Upon graduation from a PA university, I was hired immediately in Ft. Lauderdale at a large teacher job fair and I've been in the classroom ever since! Since 2000, my husband and I have moved around ALOT because he was prior military (USAF) so I've taught in both public and private schools in Florida, New Mexico, and Germany. I've been teaching at the same county in Florida since 2003 and now we have decided to relocate back to PA ().....Now I'm looking for a job in PA. I have my MA with a specialization in reading as well as my Florida Reading Endorsement and ESOL Endorsement which will now not be recognized in PA.

I know, I must be crazy to move! I just hope this time is as easy as it was in the past for me...but I have a strange feeling that it will not be. Trying to keep my head up and stay positive through all of this.
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Job search on-hold until now I suppose
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I've been reading how long some of you have looked for teaching jobs and am truly worried. I haven't posted on here for 3 years, so here's my story: graduated with my M.A in 2009, subbed from 2008-2010 as a per diem (never got an LTS position although I was promised one).
After the commencement of 2010 year, knew I needed a job with health insurance, and since NY schools were in the midst of a hiring freeze, took the first job that was offered to me working for a well-known education company. Three years later, still working for them in another division, but pay and benefits are lousy, and I'm itching to get back in to teaching. Went on one interview as a favor by a former co-worker who is related to a head adminsitrator, and was asked to come back and do a demo. I JUST found out yesterday afternoon after contacting them a month after my demo that the position was given to a "stronger candidate with more experience." Now here's my dilemma; I can't go back to subbing because my husband works part-time and depends on my lousy insurance benefits (and regular salary). We're not about to be thrown out on the street, but it's not a possibility unless he we to secure a really well-paying job (this is NYC after all). So, stuck in a rut.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote