Help

The Job Search

Teaching position statistics

>

4theluvofpups

Teaching position statistics
Old 06-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anybody ever been able to locate how many students graduate each year with a teaching degree and of that count how many actually 1-obtain a position that year 2- obtain a position within 3 years or 3- have to give up their dream of teaching because they could never obtain a position?

I can never find true facts. I know right now finding any job is very hard. Especially teaching. But are colleges "selling" a degree in education to make money? Or do they truly think many of us will get to use our degree in the feild of education? I would say that at least 60-80% of the students I went to college with who studied education either quit teaching because they didn't like it or (for the most) couldn't even get a teaching job so they went out and decided to work elsewhere.

I wish somebody told me the truth in college that many of us will not find a position right away .....and in some cases....never. Instead they all promised us we would always have a job. *SIGH* SOooo not true!

4theluvofpups is offline   Reply With Quote

sailorelly

Colleges
Old 06-12-2012, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most of the colleges I know are in the business of making money/growing their endowment. They're definitely not going to turn away admitted students who want to major in education because of the crappy job prospects once they graduate. At my university, the professors at least were pretty up front about the reality of having to sub before finding a permanent position, the widespread practice of RIFing every year, and rampant nepotism in the hiring process.
sailorelly is offline   Reply With Quote

SunShining

My college does!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Granted this is only one college, but it gives pretty detailed statistics. Here's the report for teachers who graduated in 2011: http://www.careers.wwu.edu/images/Te...eportX1011.pdf

This is the main page. You can find the summary for teachers' employment back to 2007. http://www.careers.wwu.edu/surveyapp...sdefaultXX.asp
SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote