Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Daily 5 in Pre-k

>

mahannah

Daily 5 in Pre-k
Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am interested in the idea of Daily 5. Does anyone use it (or a vriation of it) in their pre-k classroom? If so, what do you keep/follow, what do you tweak, etc?

Thanks!

mahannah is offline   Reply With Quote

mamaduffyof3

d5
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago in the peony room (D5 based room) some people do. they use it at a low level and one teacher suggested using different names like buddy reading for read to someone, and alphabet work for word work. I used D5 successfully in the middle grades and really want to use it in some way in my pre-k room this fall. I'll be watching your post for answers too!!
mamaduffyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't but just came across this post that made me think it could be possible.
http://lilcountrykindergarten.blogsp...pictures.html#

I also came across this Daily 5 in Kindergarten blog book study which just started and looks promising:
http://livelovelaughkindergarten.blo...r-1-linky.html

Last edited by learntogether; 06-20-2012 at 07:13 AM..
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

emdg05

Daily Learning
Old 06-24-2012, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We came up with a variation of Daily 5 that we implemented last year and it worked really well. Instead of it being just literacy areas, we incorporated math and art and called it Daily Learning. The 5 areas we used were work on reading, word work, art, number sense, and shape study. While the students were working, I would work with different groups or individual students. It was structured the same as Daily 5, we just did shorter rotation times. The students were able to learn the structure of Daily 5 that they will use in kindergarten, but we were still able to integrate other subject areas.
emdg05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Originalkat

Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a mixed age class 3-5 yr olds. For this age group we have Daily Five Literacy and Math mixed together. I like the idea of calling it Daily 5 Learning!
1) work on Reading( listening center, read books, read letter, shape, color charts, felt stories etc)
2) work on writing (HWT activities, tracing, cutting, fine motor skill activities, drawing, coloring, white boards etc...)
3) work on letters and sounds( alphabet tubs, alphabet stamps, letter matching, etc...)
4) work on number concepts (various number games and activities focusing on numerals 0-10)
5) work on patterns, shapes, classification, sorting( pattern cards, pattern blocks, sorting manips, etc...)
All children focus on developing math and literacy skills during this time. Although these skills are also learned in dramatic play, blocks, etc... We save those for other parts of the day. During D5 we focus on specific skills and stay focused on literacy and math.

Originalkat is offline   Reply With Quote

mahannah

Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

emdg05 & Originalkat- Thanks for sharing! I am trying to figure out the types of activities I can include and how to set them up. Most of what I've seen is set up in tubs numbered 1-10 and a pair of students are assigned to a tub. This seems doable but will require me to put together the tubs at least once a month.

Do you do a lot of repetitive stuff, such as Write the Room?
How often do you change the contents of your tubs?
Do you also do a small group lesson as well?

I feel like I have a million and one questions! Would either of you be willing to share a typical lesson or schedule for this?

Thanks!
mahannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Originalkat

Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a small class (8-10 children). It depends on the activity as to how it is set up. I think the key is to keep it simple which is the main difference between the Daily 5 and literacy centers. However, the younger the child the more interactive and hands on it has to be. For "Work on Reading" most activities are throughout the room such as the listening center and read with a buddy etc...they know where the pointers and charts are so they can choose those throughout the room. For "Work on Writing" I usually have an activity set up on a tray such as some HWT activity or fine motor work. They can also choose to work in the writing center. Alphabet and sounds activity or math work is done as a small group activity with me a lot of times or set up in a tub or on a tray.

Because my group is small, the children make their first choice on the pocket chart and then can move throughout the room and choose work that is available. My goal at this age is that they are engaged in meaningful literacy and math activities for the entire time. I don't care which activity they choose. They must come to small group at some point. I call children over if they do not come on their own. We work for about 45 minutes each day.
Originalkat is offline   Reply With Quote

emdg05

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have several activities that are always out for each of the areas. I have a certain picture that goes with each of my areas and all the activities are labeled with a picture so the students know which activities they can choose if they picked that area.

1. Word Work includes activities that work with letters and writing. 2. Work on Reading includes the listening centers, stories on our iPad, a few phonics activities, read to self or stuffed animal. 3. For Art I usually do a different activity to go along with the theme that we are learning. 4. Number Sense includes any activities with number recognition or counting 5. Shape Study includes activities with sorting and patterning.
I do have a few activities in each area that are rotated based on what theme we are learning, so they are switched out about every other week. The rest stay the same.

Each week we start our rotations over. I usually do 2 rotations each day and each rotation lasts about 12-15 minutes. I have a binder that I mark down which rotation each child choose. So they get to choose which area they want to start with but they only get to do that area once a week. In between each rotation they come and choose where they want to go next. While the students are working, I work with either a small group doing different activities or an individual child. Depending on what the art project is, my aide usually helps in that area or floats around the room and works with the kids.

Hopefully this helps! It was a lot to introduce and practice but it went extremely well and helped prepare our students for Daily 5 in kindergarten.
emdg05 is offline   Reply With Quote

HorrorHigh

Don't Feed the Beast
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Daily 5 in preK? Whatever happened to play centers? Or play in general? I urge you to rethink this practice. Daily 5 is not developmentally apppropriate for early learners.
HorrorHigh is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

HorrorHigh:
I will continue to have free choice centers (dramatic play, blocks, art, puppets etc.) at a different point in the day. I firmly believe in the importance of those activities. Last year I added a math tub time a few times a week because only a few kids were choosing math during center time. I am thinking of this as a way to get everyone to visit abc center/ listening center etc every week. I think this is a better solution that changing free choice center time into a very structured time where kids are assigned to different centers to make sure they are going to all the different ones. I am going to try one fifteen minute rotation of "Daily 5" each day and may expand if it is working well.
Some of the previous posters also mentioned covering centers at a different time in the day.

learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

HorrorHigh

Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I understand where you are coming from. We are all feeling the pressure by parents, fellow teachers, and administration to engage in the big "push down" of academics in preschool.

I urge you to read Jeff A. Johnson's Let Them Play: An Early Learning (Un) Curriculum. It is a fantastic book that urges us to trust preschool children as mindful learners. It really is an awesome read!
HorrorHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

daily 5 in pre K
Old 10-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

thank you for saying what I have been thinking all through the meetings we are having weekly to try and bend the daily 5 into something usable in pre kindergarten! it is sooo not fitting for my classroom. But we are being pushed into it by an overly aggressive administration...who hasn't a clue!