Help

Fifth Grade

"Teach Like a Champion" Feedback

>

teachinpitt

"Teach Like a Champion" Feedback
Old 06-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been reading the praises of this book by Lemov...has anybody read it and if so, can you provide opinions, feedback, or if it's worth purchasing??

Thank you.

teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4Life001

Good
Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I enjoyed it! We used it as a book study at school so it helped that we were able to talk about it and work through the text together.

Some of the techniques and strategies are kind of no brainers but it is a good resource.
Teach4Life001 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkidz14

A Good Read
Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just finished reading this book myself and was going to ask the same questions! I read it front to back and found many of the strategies as ones I'd be willing to try. I liked the concrete examples and the fact it came with a DVD so you could see the examples visually being enacted.

What I didn't like: He claims these are all strategies that excellent teachers use--however his sources are limited. He only talks about excellent teachers at schools HE has helped to found. I don't know but I feel like that is a little bit biased! I was hoping, similar to Kozol who goes across the country to all sorts of schools that Lemov did the same but he doesn't.

Some of the strategies are no brainers but some of them are great and I look forward to trying them out.
teachkidz14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Old 06-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's a book of compilation of different techniques. It's not bad. I think you'll get more out of it if you have been teaching only a few years. Most of the ideas are not new to teachers. He just names them his way. Some are hard to do all day long. Some are good or give you something to think about. It just doesn't address systemic changes IMHO.
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 06-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I liked it but didn't think it was amazing. I am an experienced teacher (29 years). Most it wasn't new, but it was a good review and reminder. I picked up a few fresh ideas. I do have to say I didn't agree with everything he had to say, and few things he said really go against most research. However, especially if you have only taught for a few years, it is a good read.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Eirelyn

Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A member of my new team suggested this book. I like the fact that there are concrete examples. Also interested about what others think and how much you have used.
Eirelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

cassie99

Old 06-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I read it last summer - was able to borrow it from the public library instead of buying it - and took notes to refer to. I have been teaching for 8 years now and found many of the tips to be helpful. The videos were nice to see teachers in action. I liked how it was an easy read and very concrete - not too much "theory" and just clear things to start trying in the classroom.
cassie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Teach like a Champion
Old 06-28-2012, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We also did this book as a book club at school last year. We were able to get PD for it. I liked the book a lot but also thought that some of the techniques were pretty simplistic. I use several of them though. I especially like "no opt out" and cold calling. It's a worth it read.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote