Help

The Job Search

Job/Interview--I can't stop sobbing :(

>

teachkidz14

Job/Interview--I can't stop sobbing :(
Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I applied for a teaching position in a school I have subbed all year at. I developed great relationships with all the staff and the students. When a position opened a couple weeks ago, many teachers texted me to tell me to hurry and apply because they would love the chance to work with me. I spent a lot of time on my application making sure it was perfect. The secretary even told me that the principal was checking up on my application to see how far I had come along. I spent days tweeking my essay questions and everything! I submitted the job application just 4 days after it was posted (meaning I submitted it nearly 2 weeks early before the closing date).

I emailed her today to find out when/if interviews were going to take place. She emailed me back to say interviews were just beginning and that they had been looking for someone with 2 years experience and a particular endorsement.

I am so upset. I cannot stop sobbing. I worked so hard for them as a substitute and thought for sure at the VERY LEAST that I would be granted an interview. I don't understand how I will ever be able to get the job if someone doesn't at least give me the chance!! I cannot stop crying. I know this isn't the end but it sure feels like it. I was really banking on this job and it was the only school I applied to. I don't even know if it's worth going back to sub for this school in the fall because I feel so mislead and mistreated.

:*****( (so many tears)

Thanks for listening to my vent.

Last edited by teachkidz14; 06-29-2012 at 12:40 PM..
teachkidz14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Couldn't your subbing there this year be counted as at least 1 year's experience?

I would email the principal saying something along the lines "I understand that you are looking for an experienced teacher for this position. I hope that my subbing experience will be counted toward that."

Or words to that effect.

This one is not a lost cause.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

Seussical

Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Put the application in anyway! Continue to apply anywhere and everywhere. Don't give up! Getting ANY kind of a job these days is tough--just don't give up! Keep trying! Believe in yourself and sell it.
Seussical is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkidz14

Still in Disbelief
Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am still so upset and cannot stop crying. I would think that subbing would count but in the eyes of an administrator but who knows!

Besides my subbing, I did a LTS position for a month (but at a different school). Also, the job description did NOT say the requirements were 2 years anda ZA endorsement. I am sad but now beginning to fume.

I don't know if it's worth writing the principal. I would like to hear other PTers thought on this as well as recommendations of what to say. I do not want to write the message right now because my emotions would get the best of me.

teachkidz14

I did submit the application
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Seussical...I did put in the application. I submitted it over a week early!!!

Lady Di

Bless your heart
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know how you are feeling - I have cried to that point as well - my DH was starting to get worried it was so bad (and I knew the person they gave the job too, just to kick me when I was down).

Anyway, could you contact some of those same teachers that told you about the opening to find out what is going on? Would they/could they give you any insight? It seems to me that they should have put on the job listing what they were looking for - the P is using it as an excuse, for whatever reason, not to interview you.

(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) )) and a gallon of Haagen-Dazs! Hang in there, sweetie.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkidz14

Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I actually just wrote one of the K teachers that had texted me to apply. I basically told her

"Hi X...just updating you that I did not receive an interview for the position. I spoke to X and he/she informed that that the P wanted 2 years experience and X endorsement. I am dissapointed I will not have the opprotunity to work with you. Have a good summer and maybe I will see you next school year "

I hope this was okay to write--I didn't want to let my emotions get the best of me but I DO want her/them to know how upset I am not to even be considered. *Sigh*

I know I am not alone--and I am sorry you have had to go through similar experiences. I feel like I will have such a hard time subbing in the school next fall, especially for those who ended up with the position.

OneOldGoat

Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i think that sounds fine (the note you wrote).

A similar thing happened to an acquaintance of mine who was a LTS for a science/math position. The teacher was getting his masters. At the end of the year, he decided not to come back at all and everyone told the LTS to apply and how great it would be... she didn't even get an interview. She doesn't know why... She had a hard time even subbing at that school again after that.
OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

SunShining

:(
Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last year I subbed in the district that I student taught. It was the only district I subbed for and I had great responses from the teachers. I subbed a lot for my former CT and her grade level partner, and they told me that I was really the only sub they completely trusted with their classes and that they would love to work with me. Another teacher at the school even told me that she knew another school in our district would be hiring a new K teacher for next year, and that she would pass my name along to her friend who also teaches K there.

Long story short, my district holds screening interviews in the spring. In order for principals to even consider you for a position, you have to pass the screening. I didn't pass the screening. The two P's that interviewed me had never seen me teach - unlike some other P's in the district. One of them I could tell didn't like me for who knows what reason. She never smiled the entire interview. The room right next to where I was interviewed was the P who almost offered me a K job in September. I know I would've passed the screener if I would've interviewed with her.

Some people who DID pass the screening include a girl that just graduated a few weeks ago, and some people who live a few hours away. Actually, I saw on their school board minutes that they hired this girl for 1st grade who was teaching 5 hours away last year. So she's never subbed or been involved in the school district, but she gets a job! I've spent the past few years doing either practicum placements, student teaching, or subbing, and they won't even consider me for interviews!

It's a huge slap in the face isn't it? My advice would be to reach out and apply to more schools and districts. Putting all your eggs in one basket usually backfires. ((((((((((((((((((Good luck and hang in there)))))))))))))))))))))
SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

Position
Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm sorry that you are so upset, but please try not to take it so personally. The principal may very well be interested in hiring you at some point, but if this position required a particular endorsement, the P's hands may be tied as to whom she can hire. Those directives often come from the State or Central Administration and not the school itself.

Of course I understand your feelings are hurt, but it doesn't sound like it was the P who mislead you. It sounds like some of the teachers did, but I wouldn't assume it was intentional. They may not have been aware that this particular endorsement was required.

I would simply email the P back and say, "Thank you for the quick response. I do hope you will keep me in mind for any future positions that become available." From there, I would continue to apply for jobs, and definitely go back and sub there in the fall if you are not able to find a permanent position over the summer.

LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkidz14

I think I can...I think I can
Old 06-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you for the encouragement and advice (I really need it). I am still upset, angry, and sad. I am sorry some of you have found yourself in similar situations.

I do not/will never understand how someone that hasn't even subbed in the district obtains a position over someone that has put in sweat and has been recognized as a great sub in the district. It is so frustrating. It really makes me want to throw in the towel some days.

I just feel like I had my dream job ripped away from me. In my state there are no other openings expect for jobs 2 hrs away and there is no way I can move/commute that far. What to do...what to do.

vttraveler

Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I feel for you, and I can empathize. I had the time when I had been the #1 sub in a building for 2 years and didn't get a call for a permanent position. Then I had the time when I was hired for a 1 year position, but assured repeatedly by the principal that there was going to be a permanent opening the following year, and I was a shoe in. I was interviewed, but not offered the job. I was devastated.

All I can say is that eventually other doors opened up for me that wouldn't have opened up if I had gotten either of those positions.

I hope that will happen for you too.
vttraveler is online now   Reply With Quote

Velouria

Old 06-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have been in a similar situation, and been a top sub in the district and been passed over for interviews... and therein lies the problem: being liked too much as a sub! I am sick of it and don't want to return to my home district to sub yet another year as it seems like a dead end. I subbed elsewhere as well, but it all feels so hopeless.
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkidz14

Any truth to this?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I wonder if teachers can speak to this as some of you mentioned above. If you are an excellent sub for a district, is it hard to land an interview/position because you don't want to risk losing your subs?

SO UPSETTING!!

Velouria

Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I know it's the case some places... interestingly enough, the places I've been hired to do long term subbing jobs (including full year) were mostly districts I never worked in! I am finding in my area the schools are hiring their student teachers and people who were aides/assistants working consistently in the schools. I may try to get something like a reading assistant/Title I aide position if I can, it seems like a better way in.

Take comfort in the fact that it's not just you- the whole system is awful and many of us are in the same boat. Also I think your subbing experience *should* count as experience. When someone asks me how long I've been teaching, I say 6 years... though I have about 3 years total of LTS positions. It's easy to get down and I've shed quite a few tears over job related things as well, but I am determined to not let this break me. Best of luck to you, keep trying and you never know when some unexpected opportunity may arise.
Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Old 06-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

When we have a great sub we (the teachers) really want to interview and hire her. We know a lot about the LTS and know when someone is a good fit.
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ltmiller22

I'm so sorry
Old 06-30-2012, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

maybe the teachers would be willing to talk to the principals, as someone else suggested. I can't believe a principal would rather put someone in the position they don't know rather than someone all the teachers at the school love! I understand how frustrating it is, I definitely have cried tears over how difficult it has been to try to find a job! I keep telling myself that maybe more positions will come available as school nears and hopefully principals will be desperate to interview all the first few applicants! Hopping you find something soon, and me too!
ltmiller22 is offline   Reply With Quote

KristyF

Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi, I would encourage you to think very carefully about what you really want. Are you committed to this school district? Is it really where you want to work? A similar thing happened to me several years ago. I was angry and upset and left the district for another teaching job. Being hired soothed my hurt ego, but it was not the same loving family-oriented experience. I have always regretted that I acted hastily, especially since others who stayed with the system another year were hired as teachers there...Think carefully and try to be as unemotional as possible regarding your decision. I would also try to talk to the principal again and express your interest in the school and you regret that you were not selected (be positive). Let her know that you are interested in any other openings that occur. Principals are interested in positive, confident, and proactive people. Good luck to you!
KristyF is offline   Reply With Quote

bearpaws31

So sorry!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Teachkidz14,
I'm so sorry to hear how upset you are about the job. You are not alone. I felt the same way earlier this summer. I don't know what is more upsetting, applying and not hearing anything or going through the interview and feeling like you nailed it only to be let down again. I have heard that sometimes districts don't like to hire dependable subs so they don't lose a good sub. I hope that's not true and not your case when you have done so much to help them by subbing.
I agree with you that they should have put their requirements on there if that's what they wanted. I was told by a Super that was the reason I wasn't hired a few years ago, but then found out they hired a girl right out of college and she didn't even have her license at the time she was hired. (She was a relative of one of the teachers at the school.) That was another day of sobbing, plus I was sick with the flu when I got the call. It is very difficult searching for a teaching job but try to keep your head up. Your perfect job is out there. Good luck!!
bearpaws31 is offline   Reply With Quote

cella76

teacher but laid off from now....
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Hey teachers....I am new to the chat and also new to the program. Hope that I will talk to some of yall very soon.
cella76 is offline   Reply With Quote