Help

The Job Search

Atlanta Applicants

>

4theluvofpups

Atlanta Applicants
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, everybody! I wanted to check in and see how everybody in Atlanta was doing in their job search. I asked a month or so ago, so I wanted to check back in with you.
I personally have had ZERO luck at all! I have applied to many positions, and I have yet to receive a phone call for an interview. I regret turning down a position I was offered last year. However, I know everything happens for a reason……..subbing again this year *sigh*

4theluvofpups is offline   Reply With Quote

ltmiller22

Hi!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had one interview, in Barrow County for a para job and got beat out by someone with teaching experience! I never knew even a para job would have so much competition! Have you applied for para positions and I'm just curious, what area are you in Atlanta? I'm in northern DeKalb. You know DeKalb hasn't posted any positions yet for elementary, so you never know, you may have some luck!
ltmiller22 is offline   Reply With Quote

4theluvofpups

No way!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so sorry to hear about the para pro position. I'm finishing my master's degree, and I couldn't do my practicum unless I had my own classroom or I wasn't teaching at all. Being a para would make me an assistant, and I would have to have the opportunity to have complete control for a short period of time which being a para would not allow. Otherwise, I would apply for a parapro position. The pay is awful,but the experience and peace of mind knowing you have a job everyday (opposed to subbing) would be a plus.

I live in Gwinnett, and I have applied for about 13 local counties. However, I have not applied to specific jobs in all of those counties. I just sent in all of my documents incase I did decide to apply. I have been sort of lazy because it's like the same thing every year. I exhaust myself applying, emailing principals, researching, and it leaves me with nothing. I think I have pretty much given up hope trying to venture outside of Gwinnett. I am going to sub again for a little while in the beginning of the school year to finish my practicum. I will network the most that I can, but I will probably have to give up subbing as soon as I finish my practicum.

I bet everybody is going to be hiring a lot within the next two weeks considering new teachers have to go to orientation near the end of the month. I hope you find something soon! It's tough out there....
4theluvofpups is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenofPotato

Old 07-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am moving to Fulton county tomorrow (from OH.. wish me luck..)! I have a position there and was offered a few interviews, but they were all for special education. I haven't seen much posted in the way of elementary position. However, I do have a family member in the area that says schools frequently underestimate their enrollment and hire teachers after the year has begun. Good luck!!
QueenofPotato is offline   Reply With Quote

ltmiller22

Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It definitely is tough! I moved here last fall, my husband got a job in Buckhead. I have to say, the county that really irks me the most is Cobb! They post and fill the position internally as soon as the opening is posted! But I still always call to see if it has been filled, and if it hasn't I drive to the school to drop off an updated resume and cover letter. Sometimes I worry something is wrong on my application, but I always check over it and then remind myself that there are so many people applying, they can't possibly call all qualified applicants! And QueenofPotato, I'm hoping they really underestimate their enrollment! I remember some counties posting lots of openings all throughout the fall, but I just took time transferring my certificate and adjusting to the new area, so I didn't really try to much to get a job then, but am kicking myself for it now! Oh well, I'm gonna just keep trying and stay positive and I am okay with subbing if it comes to that!

ltmiller22 is offline   Reply With Quote