Help

Kindergarten

"Fun" activities

>

akatiegrl

"Fun" activities
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have good ideas for some fun activities to throw in throughout the school day??? Games maybe?

I'm a new kinder teacher and I think I've gone a little heavy on "academic work" too soon and need to do more "fun" stuff to help them adjust to the long day. It's our 5th day of school and some of the kids are having a REALLY hard time sitting still and listening. I'm trying to make all the lessons fun and interactive, but i think maybe their little brains just need a break sometimes! Too much too soon. We do wiggle breaks of course, I'm just looking for something a little more than that. My mind is in overload though and I need some fresh ideas!

Thanks in advance for any ideas/games you can offer.

akatiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Music soothes the savage beast and kindergartner too!

Try singing Itsy Bitsy Spider with the hand motions and then challenge them to try it without words (saying the words in their heads).

Get a Staples "Easy" button and when you dismiss by using letter/number beanbags and they say the letter/sound or the numeral, they get to press the easy button. You can do the same with flash cards--have them name the letter/sound or number and then push the easy button, have them tell the sight words and then push the easy button....they LOVE this and will remind you...and it's fun even while they are working!

Sing songs to learn the letters, Dr. Jean's "Who Let the Letters Out?" can be done while holding letter cards...same with her "Where is 'a'?".

For learning colors sing "Color Farm" (same as Bingo) "There was a farmer had a cow and black was her name-o, b-l-a-c-k (three times) and black was her name-o"...choose students to give you an animal and a color and write the color word on the whiteboard, pointing to each letter as you sing it.

Make up some color tubes (Steve Spangler Science baby soda bottles) put the color label on each and then pass the bottles to music (like musical chairs) then stop the music and whoever is holding the bottle (s) must say the letters and the color name. You can begin with just one bottle and keep adding more, maybe in two different directions.

That's all off the top of my head....
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

akatiegrl

thank you!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

those are all great ideas!!! i'm definitely going to try them!

thanks a lot.
akatiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote

filehead

youtube
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

check out harrykindergarten, great songs also starfall has them for free
filehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do lots of developmental centers in the beginning of the year - playdough, lacing beads, gluing, cutting (just give them magazines to cut out), free form art projects, unifix cubes, legos, puzzles - all things that are good for fine motor skills and social skills and are still seen as just fun play by the kids.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote