Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

sad and need encouragement

>

mamaduffyof3

sad and need encouragement
Old 08-27-2012, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

SO... I am new to pre-k. Had 2 inspiring pro. devel. days last week and spent 4 hours in my new classroom Friday, arranging and re-arranging the room. When I leftm I felt like it was almost there but not quite. Today I met my assistant at the room for an hour before more required meetings.
She seemed mad that I had worked on the room without her. But I texted her and told her I was going Friday. Told her I'd love her input, but understood if she didn't want to give up one of her summer days. She had much input. Mostly bad. I sucked it up and realized she had a better perpective than I.
Then my supervisor came in and pointed out more things to "work on", sigh. I really do want to do this right. I feel like maybe I'm clueless.
Then I went to show her the cutest idea. My daughter gave me 2 stuffed frogs. We named them and gave them personalities that would support kids being true to themselves and not just believing in stereotypes. My daughter even wrote little story books about them. I had planned on them being our class mascots. Before I could even begin to explain, she interrupted me to inform me no stuffed animals were allowed in the classroom. I actually burst out crying! So embarrased.
I am just wondering if I am going to fail at this.
I feel kinda' discouraged and overwhelmed.
any advice?

mamaduffyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 08-27-2012, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What kind of pre-K does not allow stuffed animals! That is nuts! We have a goofy looking lizard someone got at a fair.

I never invite the aide to help. If they asked, I would be happy for them to join me. However, based on their hourly pay, I would not expect them to come and volunteer.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

CowTipper22

Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not allowed any stuffed animals either. It's a lice thing.

Also, I do not ask my aide to come help. Neither do any of the other teachers. When I do ask an opinion, she will give me advice, but I can tell she doesn't want to step on my toes, so she never says much.

Sounds like you need more supportive people around you! Do what you think is best. It is all about trial and error to begin with. Your aide will see that what you are doing might work better than what they had seen done in the past. And it might not. Just work hard and show them you are there for the kids!

Just hang in there! You can do it!
CowTipper22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 08-27-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I guess my 'extra sweater basket' and 'extra hats & scarves box' would be frowned on.
Our entire elementary school has 'bring your stuffed animal to school day!'

Ohhhhhhh I LOVE teaching in a small country school.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

umpababy

Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It can be very frustrating trying to please everyone... Input from others is great especially in this field, I've learned the most from those I have worked with... however when you are new to a place that has established routines etc. you can end up feeling lost and over whelmed. I remember my first day 5 years ago at my current center and it didn't go well, BUT my gut always told me what to do and the kids are who you should worry about pleasing. I say try anything at least once and if the kids don't enjoy it or the set up doesn't work then change it... give it time and remember why it is you do this job and everything will fall into place...

umpababy is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Hang in there
Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It sounds like the adults are stressed out and have frankly have no tact or manners. The kids will be kids and you will love them.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

mamaduffyof3

Thank you!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Umpababy, that is exactly how I feel.
But ,I drank a glass of wine last night, cried to my husband (and I'm really not a crier...sheesh!) and will make a list this morning of what I want accomplished by Friday. I will focus on my goals and while I hear their opinions, I also will try to tactfully stick by my ideas for at least a few things.
I'll keep you posted!
mamaduffyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
lovnthekids
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM
This message has been deleted by lovnthekids.

lovnthekids

Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Why do you think she had better perspective? I find it offensive that she took this tone of you doing all the work and she evaluating it negatively! Hang in there. Stand strong but respectful in your interactions and others will respect you for it. Next time she tells you what she doesnt like think about saying something along the line of "By deciding not to come and participate, you have taken away your right to comment. Next time feel free to join me"

Go for that year you know you can do. But start with an amazing week. Forget everything behind and win it for yourself and the little ones. Have FUN!!!!!
lovnthekids is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbimc

Welcome to Pre-K
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's sad and disappointing to hear issues... This is my first year to Pre-K as well. The the before school started my school aide asked when I would be in to set-up the classroom. She asked if I had a floor plan. At the moment I didn't and asked she could set-up the room from the previous year's layout and she did. When I finally made it into the room, I was not comfortable with the layout. The following day the school aide was at professional development. My friend and I went in and we set it up... Just the way I like it. The school was surprised and liked the design. School is now in session and the layout is working for everyone.

Stick to your guns! Take one step at a time! Don't forget to breathe...
Bobbimc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

tough times
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love your frog idea. We have some frogs that are rubber and are intended to be bathtub toys. Could you maybe find something like that? Don't give up on your ideas!

It sounds as though there is a lot of negative energy at your school. Maybe it's time to shut your door and get things ready on your own terms.

It will be okay. You sound like a creative person who will be a positive influence on the children. And in the end that's what matters, right?

Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

Ducklady

Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Walking into a new place is always hard. I did the same last year. It will get better.
Ducklady is offline   Reply With Quote

jakesmom

You're not clueless...
Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm new to pre-k this year too, have spent the last several years in elementary. I start on Tuesday and have been slowly getting things ready. I've got stuffed animals in the back of my car, now I'm wondering if I'll be allowed to have them. There aren't any in the room currently... :/ Anyway. Your assistant needs to give you the respect you deserve as the lead teacher. Be confident (even if you have to fake it at first) with her in what you are doing/planning and in so doing, it will demand respect from her. It sounds like you are on the right track, don't give up!! New jobs are always hard, as you are feeling your way with everything/everyone. I've been a bit overwhelmed by all the rules this week -- no drinks on your desk (I always keep coffee or water with me), all pens, scissors, pencils, staplers, etc. have to be locked up, it's all so different from elementary. You can do it, just stick to your guns (like someone else said) and stand up for yourself!
jakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote