Help

Gifted Education

Units

>

Crystal

Units
Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 30 minute extensions time each day, when I specifically address gifted students (the other kids are in other classrooms getting support in different areas). I would like to teach some super engaging units during this time. I looked at the Interact Simulations and they seem good. I also looked on http://www.nsa.gov/academia/early_op...ry/index.shtml

and like the looks of these, as well.

My questions are-"Can I do the Interact Units in 30 minutes a day?" "Does any one have any other great ideas, units, or websites to share?" I am starting from complete scratch. Any purchase of products will come out of my pocket. I don't mind purchasing a couple of units if they are worthwhile and memorable for the kids. My kids reading comprehension and math levels range from 4-8th grades. Thanks!

Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Interact
Old 08-30-2012, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It depends on which units you get, but most of them have some research component to them. I guess they could do that outside of the enrichment time. I'll get some of mine out tomorrow and look at the timeline and see what the say. I've not done one in a few years.

We are using Envision this year (www.mindvinepress.com). They're for grades 2-5
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Crystal

MindVinePress
Old 08-31-2012, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought about getting the Envision units, but it really is too expensive. What was your favorite Interact unit? You said you haven't used them in a few years. Is it because they are not engaging, or did you just find something better?
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote

Who Dat

Interact
Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did the Caravan Interact simulation with my 3rd-5th grade gifted students and really enjoyed it. I only saw them for 45 minutes a week in my class and other than that I saw them in their classrooms. So, 30 mins a day will be great. However, you must have Internet access so they can find pictures of the items they have to find. It was a great partner assignment for them.
Who Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Interact
Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used them when I was in a self-contained classroom because they carried over from day to day... doing a "fifteen day" unit becomes a "15 week" unit when you only see students once a week, and it just seemed too drawn out.

I'm just using Envision for the first time this year, I hope I like them...

The interact units I have (and have used): King Lexicon, Flight, S.O.S., Weather Detectives, Kid Town, Math Quest, Book Adventure - there was another I used for the Middle Ages, can't recall the name, and a math one I can't remember

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
teacharama

teacharama

answers?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What is the answer to the last question on page 61 of the caravan's unit? It is the one titled U.S. Air Distances. My students have tried very hard and have not as yet succeeded.