Help

The Job Search

OMG can't land a job

>

JMonk

OMG can't land a job
Old 07-01-2007, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, we have one more month until school starts. I have had ONE interview in the past 1 1/2 month. Sadly, the interview went well but I was not chosen for the position. I have sent over 30 resumes.

I think they say that for ever 200 applicants, there is one job. WHY, is it so difficult to find work? I resigned my position before this past year ended,,,, couldn't work in the school that I had been in.

HELP!!! Need a job in Alabama

JMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

tpateacher

I feel the same in NJ!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have sent out tons of resumes and have been on a bunch of interviews, but still nothing. One district I contacted told me they were sent 600 resumes for one position!! I just interviewed with a district and the principal told me they were interviewing 87 people. Ahh...there is still time I guess. Everyone keeps telling me that people get hired last minute. Good luck!
tpateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

I Think We All Feel the Same
Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in Ohio and certified to teach high school math (grades 7-12). I have sent out so many resumes from March-now and I can't find anything. I went on 2 really great interviews within the last couple of weeks, only to not be selected for the position. I had subbed for 2 years before I landed my 1st full time teaching position, only to resign at the end of that year, because of conflict beyond my control. I wasn't able to find anything for this past year so I had to sub again. I keep getting rejection letters and emails for positions that I applied for but was never selected for an interview. I hope my luck wil change very soon. I think we are all in the same boat unfortunately.
Mishellee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
MSR

MSR

Try Catholic and other private schools
Old 07-02-2007, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try Catholic and other private schools. Every time I have interviewed at a private school I was one of only four applicants or so. If you go for Catholic or non-religious private schools, religious background is not an issue. The pay is not as high as at a public school but it beats what you would earn subbing or working retail for the year.

LDH

me too...
Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I completely understand! I'm in Georgia and I have had several interviews over just the past two weeks, all of which I felt went very well, but I haven't heard back from any of them! I'm beginning to get really worried about not having a job!!

LDH is offline   Reply With Quote

JMonk

Good luck to all
Old 07-03-2007, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well I guess I am glad to hear it is just not Alabama... Sometimes I wonder if the "tenure laws" were not around, there would probably be more positions. Its a "Good ole boy" place around here. It is all in who you know, unfortuantly.

I am an army brat... I don't have any roots where I live right now. It's sad... it was meant to be, it will be... Thanks for all the emails, and I wish you all the luck as well...
Successnow

Successnow

Yes!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I looked for over 15 years!

In Indiana the rate is 1000 to 1 for resumes to jobs - even Science and Math it is 500 to 1 - my advice is to go back to school and study something else.

Reality is reality.

The colleges and public need to get rid of the teacher shortage myth - which is perpetuated by people like Oprah on her show and others.

I advise anyone going to college - not to go into education - unless you want to daily sub (iffy and you don't need a license in my state) or work as a cashier at Walmart while you look for work as a teacher.

Good luck!

phoebe611

jobs
Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It blows my mind how everyone says we have a teacher shortage in the south. Definitely NOT in Alabama. When I was looking, I even had contacts on the inside and could not get a job. I went the private school route and LOVED it, but the pay and benefits are laughable. I did that for 10 years while trying to find my way into public school life. I interviewed and made a few more contacts the year before last, and finally last year one of those contacts suggested my name to someone hiring and I landed the job. I don't even want to think about the postage, copy money (ink is expensive!!!), and gas money that went into trying to find a job. I don't know where you are and if you can move, but I've heard Pike County (Troy) has positions. Have you looked on the state dept. website? They were supposed to be getting vigilent sp? about posting jobs around the state. I don't know what else to say except I'll keep you in my prayers 'cause (using my southern twang) "I been thar!!!"

Last edited by phoebe611; 07-03-2007 at 10:33 AM..
phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote

janet7

me too
Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I decided this year that I would move if necessary and still no job. I went back to school late in life and taught one year and wasn't rehired. I have been substituting since and hoping. I sure wish I could have known how the job market would be for elementary teachers. It is very depressing, isn't it?
janet7 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherKel

jobs
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

yes, I live in Missouri, and it is hard here as well. It took me 3 years until I finally got a job (I start in August). I have just been subbing and doing everything I can to get my foot in the door. Hang in there...

TeacherKel is offline   Reply With Quote
kaykay

kaykay

teacher shortage
Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Where do you people live? There is definitely a teacher shortage in the Arkansas delta along the Mississippi River. I encourage you to check out the small districts in this area around Memphis, Tennessee. Superintendents are not letting teachers leave their positions unless they find a replacement. Please, someone needs you to fill their position so they can accept a job in another district. It is really bad around here. If you are willing to relocate you shouldn't have any problem finding a job if you are certified. Some schools give $4000 sign on bonuses. Check out the delta before you give up. Someone is counting on you.

yesteach

Texas...
Old 07-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

especially in and around larger cities (Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin) there are almost always positions available. I've lived in the DFW area for 16 years, and I've yet to see Dallas ISD start the year without positions still available. Many years they start the school year with subs in the classrooms.

If you're looking to relocate, the area around DFW is growing so quickly, there are new schools everywhere.. Frisco, McKinney, Burleson, Mansfield, and then there's always Dallas or Ft. Worth!

Starting salary isn't terrible... I teach in a small suburb south of Ft. Worth, first year teachers this year will start at no less than $42,000. Also, if you are bilingual there's a $2500.00 per year stipend.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
adrienne1983

adrienne1983

Old 07-05-2007, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm in the Metro Atlanta area in Georgia and there is definitely a teacher shortage here. I am not even fully certified yet (I'm going through the TAPP program) and I have received 7 job offers!
SuccessNow

SuccessNow

Hm
Old 07-05-2007, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Ok so you have to get certified in each state before hire - which is not automatic - even if you had straight A's and have a license in another state. Reciprocal states are not really recipricol.

Then you have to pay to have your license analyzed - pay for fingerprinting - then have money to come to that state and apply for work - plane fare and or gas - motels - take time off from current job - try to get interviews while there - and maybe they WANT to hire a relative who isn't certified and not hire you anyway. So if you do get the job - then you have to have the money to move and set up a place to live - and you still might get bumped out and end up subbing.

In my view - the few shortages exist in areas most people do not want to live in or cannot afford to - or they have no affordable housing.

I don't think a superintendent can prevent someone from leaving a job either.

I know I have been through all this for years - The Nevada shortage, The California shortage, The Florida shortage - it is a myth.

linny22

lies!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I was told that there was a teacher shortage in nj. What a load of crap! It is impossible to get a job. I feel your pain, apparently it is difficult no matter what state you live in.
linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote

swll

San Antonio
Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

A friend of mines lives in San Antonio and he has told me that they are looking for teachers there. Has anyone heard the same thing?
swll is offline   Reply With Quote

Suzydiana

What part of AL
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I live in Al too. What part of Al. If it is close to me, maybe I can see if any of my districts are hiring.
Suzydiana is offline   Reply With Quote
SuccessNow

SuccessNow

Show me the Advertisements
Old 07-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I always hear about these shortages - but never find anything advertised about them. It is probably school systems desperate for daily substitute teachers - get you moved there and they think they have a sub. Now if you can speak Spanish fluently (and I do mean fluently) then you might have a chance somewhere in Texas - but still they will prob hire a relative - non certified - than a stranger from out of state. But stil you needs lots of money for licensing - looking for work - and maybe a move if offered a job - but then you might get there and get bumped to subbing status.

I wish everyone luck - been there and did that for years - at some point you have to pay the bills doing something else.

The colleges need to stop misrepresenting the myth - the birthrate is declining - schools have no money - class sizes are bigger as a result - fewer classrooms - no jobs.

The real money to be made is in healthcare.

swll

Old 07-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yes, I have heard the same thing.

JMonk

I live in Madison/Huntsville
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

WOw, it is so depressing reading all these emails. I went back to school to "HAVE" a job. I am really discouraged. I taught in Madison for two years and was let go, due to numbers.

I know something will work out, it is just sad. I've been checking the state department website daily, if not hourly. Schools are starting in like three weeks. I've just recently updated my "buisness" resume. CRAZY, I just want to teach...

jewelchick02

Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I was told of the 'shortage' too and in some areas it is true. I've seen where there are incentive scholarships offered while you are still a student in college that say you must teach in an 'impoverished' area for the first three to five years of your career and they'll give you college money.

While there are areas in need, there are others where the competition is so fierce that you have to be flawless, or at least know someone, to have a chance. Seems like a gloom and doom attitude and I don't know that I like it, but I'm getting discouraged. I take hits hard and it affects my confidence. Bad, yes. Hard to get past, also yes.

I went into teaching to help people and because I love being around kids. Now if I could just find a place that doesn't want perfection handed to them on a silver platter during the interview...
jewelchick02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Successnow

Successnow

What it takes
Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Being young and thin and attractive.
They prefer males.
Knowing someone, being related to someone.
Possibly being bilingual.
Certified in high levels of math, science or some areas of special ed.

Then maybe - just maybe you will get hired.

Can't say I would count on it though.

Again - where are the specific districts - I want weblinks to the jobs.

I did a google search at all that is suggested and found nothing.

You also need a bankroll to apply for jobs and interview for them.

swll

Amen..........
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I could not have put it better myself Successnow! You are spot on!!!