Help

ESL/LEP

common core /ESL

>

eugine

common core /ESL
Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to read more information on how the Common Core relates to ELL frameworks. Can anyone recommend any websites or readings?

eugine is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

Wida
Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wida Consortium (www dot wida.us) did a study in 2007 that discusses the alignment of the CCSS with their standards. Coloring Colorado has some information too. I love how the CCSS incorporates the four domains. Makes planning and meeting the standards very clear.
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

eugine

Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

do you just take one standard at a time when you plan or do you work with what they are doing in the classroom?

Cow Pie

work with classroom
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I work with what the students are learning in their "regular" classes, however, I always incorporate something from each of the four domains in every lesson. I keep a check list of the ELA and ELL standards covered and make sure to hit on those that aren't being covered as deeply. While my focus is ELA, I often integrate what the students are learning in science, history or math into my lessons.

eugine

Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I go to four different schools and the teachers are now using the reading workshop model. It seems each teacher is doing something different in their class. It you could give me some pointer that would help. When they had s reading series it was much easier to work with the teachers.

Cow Pie

Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do you have common planning time with the teachers? If you don't perhaps the teachers could email you a summary of their lesson plan and include the standard(s) and learning target they are focusing on. If you are able to pull students, you could create your lessons using their plans as your springboard, being sure to cover the four domains and any scaffolding needed and going more into the learning target. If you are on a consultative model, you can suggest the scaffolding and ways to include the four domains into each teacher's lesson.

Here's a document you could use to help with collaboration or even just your planning: http://uteach.utexas.edu/sites/defau...ategiesELL.pdf It's from 2005, but helps me keep track of my thoughts as I analyze the needs of my students. I take the teacher's plan and add to it by determining what strategies would best support the lesson and learning target.

eugine

common core/planning
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Cow Pie- Thanksfor the document and your thoughts. I do pull out and if each teacher is on something diffferent it would be hard to plan. Do you have a certain material or books that you use.

Cow Pie

Not really
Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I mostly use the texts or materials the teachers are using. I also use articles from the internet. I use sites like dogonews, which often has a video and text support, and past articles/lessons from Scope magazine (Scholastic) and National Geographic Extreme Explorer. It just depends on what the kids are working on. I try to keep it interesting.

eugine

common core
Old 07-12-2013, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks, What do you use for grades k-2?

Cow Pie

Mid-school
Old 07-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've been at the mid-school 7th/8th grade level for 5 years. I used to teach PreK-12 as an itinerant teacher. Scholastic and National Geographic have lower level magazines available. For my younger kiddos I generally used printable books I found online. For my PreK-1st kiddos, I often centered my lessons around food, working on social skills such as politely asking for more and naming new foods.
I recently found Readingbear.com and have been using it with a 7th grader. It is a free phonics program designed for younger students, but I like it because it has video and gives multiple meanings of words.

eugine

Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the info

AngieGaijin

Thoughts on k-2
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our district uses the Scott foresman Reading street curriculum. It is awesome because at the back of the teachers manual is a section on differentiation. As an itinerant teacher it is soon helpful!

A lot of it depends on the levels of your students. If they are new to country you will or should be helping with the school acclimatization process as well as survival words/phrases. The great thing is kids are sponges. Just keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck!
AngieGaijin is offline   Reply With Quote

eugine

common core
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for your help, we used use Harcourt but now with the common core the teachers are using all different things.