what are you expected to bring to with you? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

what are you expected to bring to with you?

>

jamie009

jamie009

what are you expected to bring to with you?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This sounds like a crazy question but what exactly are teachers expected to have with them when they show up to set up their classroom? Do you have to buy your own bulletin board supplies? All I really have is the curriculum and of course I will have a year plan, and my unit and lesson plans and a poster board with classroom rules on it. It just doesn't seem like much. If that's all I had, would I look prepared?

Mrs.B

Ask
Old 02-04-2006, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Alot of schools have the bulletin board paper somewhere. That usually takes awhile to put up nicely. Some schools and experienced teachers have things you can use like borders. Some schools will also give you money for supplies. I buy alot of my own stuff so I can take it with me wherever I go. Go to a teacher store to get some decor ideas.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

cH

It depends
Old 02-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you are replacing a retiring teacher or one who used school-purchased materials, you might find a selection of supplies for setting up your room. Otherwise, there's a good chance you'll be on your own for finding resources. Our K-3 teachers, including specials, each get $100 for "personal" supplies. This could include bulletin board materials, stickers, post-it notes, student rewards, etc.

Our classrooms each have multiple bulletin boards and a hall showcase to keep decorated. I do not personally like the pre-made cardboard bulletin board sets, but purchasing a few of those at a teacher store would at least get you started.

As for boarders, construction paper can be cut into strips for a cheap alternative to the purchased borders. Tearing the edges or using the special-edge scissors adds a nice finishing touch. (Ask around for borrowing these, rather than buying.) I like multiple layers of borders. A bit of black around ANYTHING is usually a good addition and sets items or whole boards of nicely.

You'll be able to build up your decorative supplies as you spend more time with your room and class. Don't forget the many resources available for printing on the internet.
cH is offline   Reply With Quote

teachfla

depends
Old 02-12-2006, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It depends on the district. We are given furniture, teacher's manuals, student texts, some manipulatives and that's it. We get $250 a year to buy everything else. That sounds like a lot of money until you think about glue, pencils, crayons, constructions paper, dry erase markers, etc. Keep in mind that many teacher books from teacher stores are at least $20 each. I have spent a ton of my own money to have things I want. I dread moving classrooms because of all the stuff I own! I recommend starting a savings account now and wait until you get a job. If your school provides nothing, you'll have money to get what you need. If they provide lots of things, you'll have money for a splurge item (or a back-to-school day at the spa!)
teachfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Me Too

Me Too

Spending Your Own Money
Old 02-14-2006, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This was my first year teaching, and we just pulled out all the reciepts for this past year....and I know I lost many of them. I spent well over 700 of my own money in the begining of the year, and I had been building up my supplies for awhile. (Just not things for a specific grade level). I would estimate that I have spent another 500 or so just on things for specific units, posters to go along with them, activities, boarders....holidays.

Teaching can be an expensive habit!!