Help

The Job Search

? for people who've been on interview committees

>

basketball777

? for people who've been on interview committees
Old 08-02-2013, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do interview committees want to see a portfolio with pictures while your answering questions(some of them), or would you prefer the candidate only answer the questions without even using their portfolio?

basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Use it if appropriate
Old 08-02-2013, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If a question lends itself well to a quick look at something in the portfolio, use it. However, don't try to force questions into fitting your portfolio. When people do that, we wonder if they really have an answer or are just stalling and trying to BS their way out of a question.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Oliveface

Oliveface

Old 08-02-2013, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You what I think really makes an impression? A brochure. I used to bring both. The principal gets to keep the brochure. Most of them probably throw them out, but if they don't they have something to remember you by and look through. Where as they won't have that for the other candidate.

BettySpeller

Old 08-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been on interview committees. There were only a small portion of candidates (2 or 3, I believe) who brought portfolios. We did not really look through them. We are on a time schedule with interviews and the questions we posed. There wasn't time.

A few of us took the time to look through a portfolio of one candidate (on our lunch break). She went to a lot of time and expense to have it completed and she gave one to everyone on the committee. But she was not going to be called for a 2nd interview. Maybe everyone would have spent more time looking at portfolios if the person was going to return for another interview. Neither candidate who brought a portfolio was called for a 2nd interview.

Every interview committee is different, it is just how it worked out in my experience. I would suggest bringing pics of things you have done. When a question comes up about that subject, you could show the pic and respond with, "I have done this...." Not for every question, but it does show more of what you are capable of.
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote
needajob2013

needajob2013

no 2nd interview
Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The way I am interpreting your comment above makes me think the committee knew quickly that the two candidates were not making it to the second interview. If so, did something happen during the interview that made them not desirable? I am just trying to get some insight that might help me for an upcoming interview.

beagles2

portfolio
Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our local university insists that student teachers make either a hard copy or digital portfolio, and I know they put a ton of thought and work into it, but truthfully, we're in such a time crunch that we never look at them. I always feel so badly, and if we had the time I would certainly like to look at what they presented. It just isn't how things are done nowdays. I wish the universities would catch up with times.

I'm sorry to have to answer you this way.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm just wOndeering becuz I've been to a district job fair and interviews where everyone brought one but me and I felt behind the times. I tend to not use mine in interviews and if I do it's limited. Just wanted to hear opinions. Thanks.

EduK5

Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it depends on the people interviewing you, if they have an ideal candidate already, and if it fits the question (like others have said). I used my portfolio one when they asked me to give examples of what I would teach. When I started to say "Let me show you what I have done in my classroom", the interview committee was kind of taken back. It seemed that they weren't too interested in seeing photos. I also realized after the interview was over and they posted their BOE Meeting Agenda, that they hired internally. On the other hand, with the job that I recently got hired for, I showed my portfolio for that same question. This interview committee was excited to see what I have been doing in my classroom.
EduK5 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

portfolio on CD
Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've heard of teachers leaving a portfolio on CD for everyone on the committee. What do you all think about this?
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 08-04-2013, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Needajob2013: The way our district interviews is everyone is given a rating sheet. You give the interviewee a "score" for each question answered. At the end of the interviews, the scores are added up. The candidates with the top scores are called back for a 2nd interview. It is all based on legal procedures to ensure the hiring process is unbiased.

I wish you, and everyone else looking for a position, the best of luck. Some areas are so difficult to get a job and make many question their ability and the profession. Hang in there and try to stay positive.

AD

Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't think a portfolio is necessary. Some people have brought them and haven't really used them. We only have 30 minutes scheduled which is very little time to just sufficiently answer the questions.

As far as portfolio on CD, it is highly unlikely that a P will take a look at it. I think they are such a waste of time. Colleges are so set on these portfolios and stressing their importance (and have for a long time) yet they really aren't useful in finding and getting a job.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

Citymouse

Old 08-04-2013, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't think it's necessary. We had on,y one person bring one out of the 12 we interviewed. To be honest? I don't want to look. It's hard to listen to your answers while readi g your brochure or portfolio. So I barely glanced at the brochures. Bring extra copies of your résumé. I do find that helpful during the interview.

For my own personal interviews over the years, no one bothered to look at mine.

I say, don't waste your time if you don't have one. Someone above mentioned brochures. No one really did that either this year.
Citymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Reader

Portfolio
Old 08-04-2013, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have been on many interview teams for both teachers and principals. In my experience, very few candidates bring a portfolio (mostly those that are just out of college).

When I sat in on interviews, appointments were scheduled 35-45 minutes apart and we really did not have time to look through portfolios. We had set questions that we wanted to hear answers to, time for the candidates questions, and then time for the panel to discuss and rate the candidate after she left and before the next interview.

I don't really think you need one, but you could ask the HR person what evidence you might need to bring to the interview.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When I'm part of the interview team, I only want a resume. I think the brochures are a cute idea, but I'd rather see experience/education listed in the resume. Portfolios are insane and a time -waster, imo. I get more information from listening to your responses to questions than i do from looking through picture or samples.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Portfolios are very distracting... We feel obligated to look at them while you are talking, which often means we are only doing one thing- listening to you talk, or reading the portfolio- not normally both. If we find something interesting in it, then we are pointing it out to someone else at the table which takes the attention off of the interviewee. Most candidates don't know how to present it- they want to pull it out at the end when all we want to do is usher them out the door, and then it's just annoying.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote
needajob2013

needajob2013

BettySpeller
Old 08-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Curious....how does someone score higher or lower? I am sure it based on how they answer questions, but could you give me a specific example?

I have been on three interviews where all they did was write down my responses underneath the questions they asked me. I thought the interviews went really well, but i haven't been offered a job. They went with experience each time. However, another job opened up in a district I had interviewed twice with. They didn't want to interview me a third time so that means they must not have liked something about me. I am okay with that, but would really like to improve for my interview tomorrow if there is something I could do better.

ebfw33112

Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have been on both sides of an interview and when I interviewed I never asked for the portfolio BUT I did like that they brought it with them! Our interviewing was very brief because we had to find a teacher ASAP so we didn't even bother with the portfolio.

Today I interviewed at a school and I had my portfolio with me and I'm so glad I did! The principal asked for many things in my portfolio and was very impressed that I had everything handy

I say always bring it as a just in case, you never know who you will impress!
ebfw33112 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
Curious....how does someone score higher or lower? I am sure it based on how they answer questions, but could you give me a specific example?
Not Betty, but when we interview we also use a rubric. We rate them on a 4 point scale in several areas, with 4 being exemplary and 3 being good, 1 being the lowest. (The numbering matches the grades given on standards based report cards). Each areas is also weighted differently. At the end, we add up the points to see how came out higher. The ratings are somewhat subjective, which is why several of us rate individually, then discuss. When interviewees respond to our questions, we take notes, then immediately after the interview, we quietly, independently rate in each area, add up the scores, and then debrief together. We are required to turn in those ratings along with our first and second choice for the position. If we didn't like anyone, we are allowed to choose no one and leave the position open.

I am currently in a non-classroom position, and we interview for others in our position. So our areas might not reflect classroom positions. As an example, one area is knowledge of special education laws. Another is knowledge of assessment instruments. Another is experience in educational diagnoses in various eligibility categories, etc. All the areas reflect aspects of my position. In a classroom job, one might be classroom management, one might be knowledge of the curriculum, and so on.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Thanks for the responses. I almost didn't want to bring my portfolio, but I'm so glad I did. The principal asked to see it at the end and was interested, besides having extra time.

BettySpeller

Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

GraceKrispy explained it well! Interviewees are scored on their individual answers and then, at the end, scores are added. Top ____ (# depends on how many positions are needed) scores get called back for 2nd interviews. Most times it works out to who I think were the best candidates. In one case, I was totally shocked with one person who was called back.