The Job Search

Job change?

>

Michelleb

Michelleb

Job change?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have found myself without a teaching position this year. It got me thinking, even though I love teaching, maybe it is time to try something different at least for a while. I really want to stay in education and I don't have a Masters. Any ideas of other education jobs that are maybe not in the classroom, or at least not completely. I am trying to stretch myself. Any ideas?

Michelle
in Fort Worth, TX

Tuffypaint

Tuffypaint

Me too!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hey Michelle! I also don't have a teaching position this year due to a multitude of reasons: just completed my student teaching in a K-6 licensure program this past spring (I am a 38 year old mom of 2 and military spouse of 16 years!), we moved all the way from N. Carolina to Colorado, the state took 4 months to issue me a temporary license, and I had to take yet another certification test!

I keep hearing that the district we're in only hires Masters level teachers...unfortunately, we do not have the time or money for me to go back to school (besides, I just got out!). I have been substitute teaching for my school district. Have you thought about subbing, tutoring, or maybe going back and getting your masters? I know our district hires out tutors for $25 per hour.

I interviewed for a long term position the other day but got turned down due to my "lack of classroom experience". I can see their point, but how am I going to get any classroom experience if no one will give me a chance? Subbing is fun and the money's not bad, but its not like having your own classroom.

A minimum wage job is not appealing to me at this point in my life after all the heartaches of going back to school in middle age. I have a career and I want to use it! My brother keeps telling me he can get me a government job. I know he means well, but I just want to scream! I'm a teacher. It's my heart. I don't want to do anything else.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Chicago Teacher

social services
Old 10-06-2005, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can use your teaching background in a lot of different social services areas, if you are still interested in working with children/teens. Residential agencies often hire teachers/tutors/curriculum developers. You could also work at an after school program like Boys & Girls Club. I taught primary grades for 3 years and then moved and was unable to find a teaching job. I am currently working in a residential program for homeless teens - originally hired to develop and teach a life skills curriculum, but now I am coordinating the entire program and supervising staff as well. It allows me to use the "teaching creativitiy" and see growth, but just in a different setting.
Chicago Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote