What is everyone working on? Roll call and share your ideas! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Gifted Education

What is everyone working on? Roll call and share your ideas!

>

magoosmom

What is everyone working on? Roll call and share your ideas!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I thought it would be fun if we could all say where we work, what we teach specifically, and what our classes are working on.

I work in NE Mississippi and I teach grades 2-8 at a small, rural school but in a big district. I go to the middle school in the mornings and teach 1 or 2 classes there depending on the year and I then go to the elementary after and stay there the remainder of the day. I teach pull-out for the intellectually gifted and I teach them for one hour a day. Our state objectives are focused on process skills, specifically thinking skills, creativity, research, communication, group dynamics, and self-directed learning.

This year, my 2nd/3rd graders did a "Gerfuls" unit to introduce Bloom's Taxonomy. They just wrapped that up and we are going on to Animals next week. I know that's a broad topic, but we look at ecosystems, habitats, adaptations, needs of animals, endangered--etc. One of the things they will do is to choose an endangered animal from a book I have, research it, create a poster about it, and make a "can-imal" that looks like their creature (made out of a soda can). Another activity will be to create a new animal that matches an existing biome. They will have to decide what adaptations it should have for that environment.

My 4th and 5th graders are learning about Mexico. They have made 3-D maps of Mexico, learned some Spanish songs, and made posters using the Spanish language. They just finished learning about the Maya. They wrote their name in Mayan hieroglyphics, created a stelae, and matched artifacts with their purpose. Next they will be doing a mini-unit on Mexican jumping beans, which I have hibernating in my fridge right now . Then we will do a few quick activities on Dia de los Muertos since we will be near that holiday, and then onto the Aztecs. They will be making a codex with the Aztecs. At the end of the unit on Mexico, they will have a little celebration/presentation where they will show their parents what they have learned.

My middle schoolers are doing an Art Through the Ages unit. We are going through art history, learning about movements and notable artists. With each new time period or artist, they do a guided notes research. I am having to provide them with the research articles because our computer labs aren't set up and I only have one computer in my room, which really stinks. But they have to find the answers to questions and I try to make them connect it to other things and I have them examine some of the artwork on the Promethean board and write down observations. Then they have to apply what they have learned into an art project. So far, they have done "cave" paintings, Egyptian self-portraits, a Greek vase (out of a Styrofoam cup), a religious or special meaning painting using egg tempera paint, and a "Roman" mosaic using construction paper. They just finished doing the "modern-day" Mona Lisa where they used a coloring sheet to trace her face and body, and then transformed her into a modern day scene. They just research Michelangelo and will be doing a Sistine Chapel painting and will "sculpt" a bar of soap. I am planning to have them do an "art museum" for their culminating project where they choose their favorite artist, recreate one of their works of art, and present it to others.

I would love to read about what you guys are doing!

magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Gifted Pullout
Old 10-10-2013, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach a gifted pullout for grades first through fourth, and I coordinate our elementary program (curriculum, testing and professional development). It is a small district in the suburbs of Fort Worth, TX.

My students come to me, I have 26 first graders, 22 second graders, 26 third graders and 26 fourth graders. Each grade level is bused to me one day per week for an entire day. After they leave me, they are in self-contained honors/Pre-AP/AP classes from fifth grade up.

All four groups are in the midst of the Global Read Aloud (1, 2 and 3 reading Marty McGuire and 4 reading Out of My Mind). In addition third grade is reading Trumpet of the Swan and fourth is reading Phantom Tollbooth. When we finish GRA in November, first grade will begin their focus on their artist study (Texas Performance Standard Project), while second, third and fourth will be staring Classroom Book Clubs. In addition to their reading focus (which is our focus for this year because I feel their reading levels are not where they should be), students are blogging with other classes learning about themselves, their online buddies and doing book discussion.

My program is more extension of what they do in the classroom, not enrichment. For math I basically take what they are doing in the classroom and extend it to the next level or go more in depth than what they do in the classroom.

Second, third and fourth grade will be selecting research topics from their book club books throughout the year.

If anyone else is using Kidblog and would like to connect, let me know and we can add you to our blog roll.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 10-11-2013, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach elementary GATE pull-out classes in a very large school district in TN. I have one section of first graders and three sections of fourth graders (13-15 students per section). I have them twice a week for 2.5 hours (5 total). We study topics of interest and incorporate activities involving art and creativity, brainstorming, creative problem solving, logical thinking, research, evaluation and critique, introspection and metacognition, brain teasers and mind benders. We are given ready made units created by fellow GATE teachers from my school system and we also create our own and share them with our colleagues.

The first graders are studying a unit on sharks. We will work on that for another three or four weeks and then we will do a book study of Charlotte's Web that will incorporate learning about farm life. The fourth graders are doing a unit called Sodapopology--the history of soda in the U.S. I am also incorporating health and science into this unit. When they complete this unit, I would like to do a unit on photography or maybe forensic science.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

lucylou2011

Fiction Picture books- Chris Van Allsburg
Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach third grade gifted. We are doing an author study of Chris Van Allsburg books. These books are so incredible, beautifully illustrated, contain many examples of ambiguity, contain a twist at the end and so on... My favorites are The Wretched Stone, The Widow's Broom and The Wreck of the Zephyr.
lucylou2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
GTinNJ

GTinNJ

Gt
Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach grade 6-8 in a middle school in NJ. Each grade level studies a different unit. I meet with my students twice a week for 40 minutes. Unit topics range from engineering to forensic science. Would love to bounce ideas off each other.

TX3rdTeach

4th Grade
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 4th Grade in Texas, and we are working on our interviewing skills. The kiddos chose a person within our community to interview. They are writing leading questions and trying to interpret what their person will say in order to create the next questions. They have set up their own interviews and are extremely excited! We are currently working on interviewing skills in class. Next I think we will do an art project :}
TX3rdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

giftedglory

Georgia
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach in GA. I currently teach 1-5 grades at 2 different schools. In one of the schools where I work, I am the only person.This is my first year and I am struggling going back and forth. I have always taught upper grades so I am having a hard time with one group of 1st and 2nd grades. Currently my first graders are doing an online Jensproject with pumpkins and my second graders are learning about the rain forest. Fourth graders are doing an extension project based on Native Americans and fifth graders are learning about the Civil War.
giftedglory is offline   Reply With Quote

purpleiris101

MA Elem. 1-3 Whole-Class & Small-Group
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach in a large district in Massachusetts. My role is to provide higher order thinking instruction to the whole class in a cooperative teaching model with the classroom teacher in grades 1-3. I use the Primary Education Thinking Skills Program (PETS) and many of Bertie Kingore's Gifted & Talented materials. Students demonstrating understanding and application of criteria for the particular lesson are then invited for a flexible small group pull-out for additional exposure and challenge. In addition, I provide consult and support to the classroom teachers to aid in differentiated instruction to meet the needs of their high achieving students.
purpleiris101 is offline   Reply With Quote

senorads

Fun Units
Old 04-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi! Im new to the site but, wanted to share the units we have worked on this year. I teach K-5 Gifted in Georgia and I brainstorm ideas with the students the units they want to learn the following year. Here goes...

Rollercoasters
Fantasy Island
Create your own country
Zoology
Chemicial Reactions
Hollywood
Candy
Countries and Cultures

Hope this help! Senorads
senorads is offline   Reply With Quote

Mogr2

Chris Van Allburg
Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Check out his book The Mysteries of Harris Burdick! Interesting illustrations with a caption that just cry out for a story to be told about them! Some are a bit chilling....

Mogr2 is offline   Reply With Quote