Help

Gifted Education

Twice Exceptional

>

MzMar

Twice Exceptional
Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wondering about your thoughts on dual exceptionalities. My son started in a gifted school this year. He has always been super sensitive and has required OT for some of it. He is also diagnosed with anxiety disorder. At the same time, I have been lucky to be able to sub a lot in the same building. It is a relief to see so many of the children have similar issues. They are bright and difficult to teach at the same time. How much are these types of issues addressed in your Gifted Endorsement programs? How do you reach children who are so nervous that they are afraid to do the work that will develop a gifted mind?

MzMar is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

love twice exceptionals
Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My DD is a twice exceptional (well, three or four time exceptional.. ) GT/ADD/OCD/SID with a reading disability and anxiety disorder.

Over the years I've had gifted students who were bi-polar, autistic, Asperger's Syndrome, ADD, OCD, and Tourette's Syndrome. When I was self-contained gifted, I found these kids functioned better in an environment that understood their differences; in pullout, I find they struggle to survive in the regular classroom. There are so many reasons I feel this happens, but primarily because teachers are not trained to work with the social/emotional aspect of gifted children. Texas requires six hours of professional development on Social/Emotional Needs of gifted as part of training to teach gifted classes; however, one day does not prepare you for dealing with twice exceptionals!

My goal, two more years to retirement, and I want to open a small private for school for twice exceptionals.

I am so excited this year, the keynote speaker at our gifted conference is Temple Grandin, and the focus of the conference this year is twice exceptional!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

fromkto3

Book
Old 03-30-2014, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am currently in the process of completing all the courses for my G/T certification. The course I am taking now addresses the needs of gifted students of special populations, including students with dual exceptionalities. The book we are using for the course book is called "Diverse Populations of Gifted Children" by Starr Cline and Diane Schwartz. It discusses the needs of students from minority, ELL, and low socioeconomic demographics, but also designates a good chunk to dual exceptionalities. Check it out!
fromkto3 is offline   Reply With Quote