Have an offer, but... - ProTeacher Community




Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help


      The Job Search

Have an offer, but...

>

Reply
 
Thread Tools
1y Art Teach
 
 
Guest

1y Art Teach
 
 
Guest
Have an offer, but...
Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 AM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All.

I am new teacher and this is my first year applying for (fall) jobs. I finished my MA last May, my student teaching in the fall, and I am currently wrapping up a wonderful LTS position. I have been lucky enough to have had multiple interviews this Spring but have been passed over for about four positions now because of experience (understandable since I am in an extremely crowded field).

Early last week I was offered a .5, one year position with a school. There is a possibly of extension and FTE increase in the future. Everyone in the District has been so helpful, kind, and they seem very excited about me joining the team. They also seem genuinely open to finding ways to involve me in the school so that I can supplement the half time income. My husband and I have decided that financially we can afford for me to accept the position, but it's not ideal.

But I also had an interview this week for what is my dream job, which will not be able to give me an answer until mid-week this week. This one is full-time. It reminds me of my own high school experience. It's a place I am very excited about, but who knows if I am their first choice. I wrote very thoughtful thank you letters to the hiring committee and felt pretty good about the interview.

Technically, I have ten days to accept the first offer (Friday), but I can tell the Principal really wants to hear from me earlier than that. Honestly, he also seemed just a little hurt when I didn't accept the offer right away. What is the best way to show my appreciation for the first offer, without accepting yet? And... What is the best way to contact the second school to see if I am a top candidate? I definitely need some help navigating...

Thank you in advance for guidance.


  Reply With Quote

Iris2
 
 
Guest

Iris2
 
 
Guest
Timeline
Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #2

At your interview for the full-time job, did you ask about the timeline to a decision (or next steps in the process)? That could be one way to let you know if you're still in the running - if they say you'll hear from us in a week and there's been no news, then either there's a problem with contacting your references or perhaps you're no longer in consideration.

If your references told you they got a call, that's a sign that your application is looked at in good favor.

As for how to show gratitude for the position, I don't know... maybe re-iterate that you have really enjoyed working at this school, that it's a tough decision, and that regardless of what you decide, you feel very fortunate to have worked for this school. You're lucky to have a P that cares so much!
  Reply With Quote

Join the conversation! Post as a guest or become a member today. New members welcome!

Reply

 

>
The Job Search
Thread Tools




Sign Up Now

Sign Up FREE | ProTeacher Help | BusyBoard

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Copyright © 2017 ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net