The Job Search

First Interview This Summer!

>

angelj2014

First Interview This Summer!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone!

I have my first interview at a charter school in a rural area (Quincy,FL) on Tuesday at 9am. I'm not very nervous at the moment, but I'm anxious and sitting here imagining how the interview will go. If you don't mind, may you please post some interview tips that helped you when you interviewed for certain positions? Thank you in advance!

angelj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-06-2014, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats on getting your first interview!

My interview tips are these:

*Make positive eye contact with everyone at the table (if it's a group interview), be friendly and polite (don't interrupt)
*Lean forward and be engaged (we've interviewed people who sit back and cross arms and the vibe we get is negative)
*Take a second to compose thoughts before responding (sometime I repeat a shortened version of the question while I formulate my thoughts). Take a breath before talking- it really does help!
*Do your research on the school so you can ask a few good questions at the end- maybe something about a program they use, what type of mentorship is available, whether there is an opportunity to do XXX, etc.
*Try not to ramble on and on- taking a breath and formulating first help with that.
*Look up potential interview questions on google (there are a lot of sites that give examples) and think about how you'd answer them. After you research the school, brush up on any new acronyms they use or programs they use.
*Above all, be yourself! Sell your personality along with your experience/education.

Good luck! (I like your avatar pic- is that your graduation?)
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

angelj2014

Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for the awesome tips! Yes, this is me. I took a quick photo before heading to graduation back in May

Munchkins

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

And welcome to PT! It's a wonderful,supportive place to visit, so I hope we will "see" you often!

Here is a link to a thread with lots of interview tips:

URL:http://www.proteacher.org/c/474_inte..._position.html

You have such a beautiful smile! Be sure to let the interview panel see it! And keep your answers child centered. Always remember that it truly is all about the kids, and have what you say reflect how you are going to help their children.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

angelj2014

Second Interview Thursday!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much!

I just landed another interview on Thursday at a local public school for a first grade position! I've been sending out a lot of emails with my resume and this is the first time I've gained an interview from it. Today I am going out to schools to deliver my resume and cover letter and possibly meet the principals

driventoteach

Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

First grade is awesome! Good luck with your interview(s)
driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

angelj2014

Old 07-07-2014, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you

IA11

Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just want to wish you good luck on your interviews and job search process!

I do like your avatar picture!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelj2014

Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you so much!

tdw10

Good Luck!!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I want to wish you luck on your interviews!! P.S. You have such a beautiful smile!

tdw10 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelj2014

Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you

GLNUT

Old 07-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Have some questions prepared to ask them at the end of the interview. GOOD LUCK!
GLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Smile
Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You look so happy when you SMILE! Kirk Franklin
I pray you get a job and have an awesome interview this week!
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Miller22

Miller22

thoughts
Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would think of some good questions to ask at the end that shows your interest. Maybe something like what kind of professional development do you have at your school? I asked what type of technology there was in the classroom (I love Smartboard!). Another potential one was what type of parental involvement does the school have and then you can share how you would encourage parental involvement. Its hard to think of these on the spot!

Best wishes! You are doing all the right things!!!

ggcoffeex3

Good luck!!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My tips are to be prepared by practicing interview questions, knowing the standards for the grade level you are interviewing for (if the grade level is specified), and researching the school. Other than that just be yourself, be confident, dress professionally, make eye contact with the interviewers, show that you're passionate about kids and teaching, and keep a smile on your face(just like your profile picture)! Good luck and let us know how it goes!
ggcoffeex3 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelj2014

Old 07-08-2014, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you everyone!

angelj2014

Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Hello all! The interview went well. The charter school is very interesting and they seem to do a lot of great things for their teachers and students. I spoke with 2 people, an instructional coach for secondary grades and the principal. The instructional coach does not have much experience with elementary grades, so she asked 2 questions that confused me a bit and I didn't know how to answer them clearly, but when the principal who has years of experience working with elementary students rephrased the questions, I was able to give clear answers. I really appreciated the fact that they made the effort to make sure I understand what was being asked instead of just marking me off and thinking that maybe I was incompetent. I think they enjoyed speaking to me, and they really enjoyed the brochure I created. The principal actually looked through my portfolio while interviewing me, so I hope he liked what he saw.

I need to work on how to answer questions about differentiating instruction. I know how to differentiate instruction in a variety of ways, but when I am asked, for some reason my mind goes completely blank. While I was in school, I had an ESOL teacher that was extra qualified, but didn't do her job. She barely taught us how to accommodate ESOL learners and she would often cancel class, not show up because she is on vacation, or when class was in session, talk about her personal life and not about teaching ELL's. I was asked one question about ESOL learners, and I did say that I would include a language objective for each lesson and focus on vocabulary as much as possible, but I'm not very comfortable in this area. I am definitely researching online how to accommodate these learners since my professor never really taught us how.

Overall, the interview went well, I have another one on Thursday, so hopefully I will be prepared for that one

ggcoffeex3

Sounds positive!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Overall it sounds like it went really well!! Did the principal seem friendly? Could you imagine yourself working there? Do they have a mentor program for new teachers? How soon will you hear back if you got the job?

It sounds like you did well and bringing the brochure/portfolio was a great idea! If you feel that you need to do more research about differentiating instruction and ELL students, do it! I researched a lot before all of my interviews and by about the fourth interview I felt really confident! I made sure to share about what experiences I did have and if I was asked a question about something I didn't have experience on I just responded as to how I would handle it based on what I had researched. Gaining confidence in myself by being prepared and gaining interview experience really helped! Good luck on your Thursday interview! Is that with a different school? Charter/public?
ggcoffeex3 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelj2014

Old 07-09-2014, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The principal did seem friendly, but I could tell he was tired of the whole interview process. The instructional coach was a little more friendly than the principal. The principal mainly stepped in to clarify what the instructional coach asked. Overall it went pretty well and it was great interview practice. I could imagine myself working there, but I can also imagine myself not having a life at all because of all the extra things besides teaching and planning they want you to do (family night, parent workshops,etc). They do have an awesome mentor program. The interview on Thursday is with a public school in the county that I live in. The school is about 15 mins away and pays about 4,000 more than the district I interviewed with yesterday.

I really like your tip of responding how you would handle something based on your research if asked about something you didn't have experience in. Thanks!

driventoteach

Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Family night, parents workshops, PTO meetings, PLC meetings, etc. will be at every school. Don't let it dishearten you, it's all worth it to have the career you are meant for.
driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote