Help

Gifted Education

All Day Program-Advice

>

magoosmom

All Day Program-Advice
Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach an intellectually gifted program for 2nd-8th grades. This year, the middle school that I worked at was split up with 7th and 8th going to the high school and 6th going to the elementary. The schedule for 7th/8th was a nightmare. Lots of problems, and the way it was set up for gifted was not going to work.

So the new solution is to pull these students all day on Wednesdays (our shortest day) for gifted. They will miss their regular classes on this day to come to gifted. It isn't ideal, but it's all that I could get to work with all the schedule problems.

I have the first Wednesday planned, but I would love to hear from others who do an all-day pull out for gifted. My biggest obstacle is the lesson planning because now, instead of introducing one unit at a time, I feel like working on one subject all day is going to get boring.

So any advice? Or tips? I will take anything! Thanks in advance!

magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

1-4
Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do this with first through fourth, and we do some type of math and language every week, and then tie in science and social studies when possible.

One of our district policies is that teachers CAN NOT require a student to make up work they miss while they are gone to gifted class. They do have to make up tests, but no classwork. I do have to grade their work, and send an average for each subject for each grading period to be averaged in with their other grades. The reason for this is that when you have the work in GT, and then you also have to go back and do all the work you missed while you were gone... kids start wanting out of GT - as my daughter said when she went through this (with a teacher who refused to follow the directive) - it's like being punished for being smart.. why go if it's just going to be MORE work than staying.... so our teachers are now required to use my work as replacement tasks for what they miss.

My third and fourth graders do two class novels, and two literature circle novels through the year. They also complete an independent research project, written research paper and visual product they must share with an "authentic audience" on our presentation night.

Second grade does one class novel in the second semester, and one literature circle novel. They also do a research project, but they do it as a group, and have to work together to decide who will do and be responsible for what.

For math we use Hands-on-Equations, Origo Math, and just whatever I create to get them ready to be in the gifted team in fifth. Science and Social studies are just integrated in where possible (i.e. when we read Miracles on Maple Hill in third, we discuss the community that the students live in, history of WW2 (the father has PTSD from being a prisoner of war), differences between our state and Vermont, etc. Things like that..

Our students at the age you are talking about... fifth/sixth are gifted clusters with two teachers teaming; 7th grade on, their Pre-AP, AP classes are pretty much all they have. They do have to do one research project following specific guidelines each year, but other than that, it's just the AP classes.

Hope this helps some...
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote