Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 schedules?

>

Padden Girl

Padden Girl

Title 1 schedules?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you see each reading group 5 days a week or are they staggered? I do title 1 reading with a pull out model.

Lillybabe

Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ideally, I pull each group for 30-35 minutes (I tried hard this year for the extra 5 minutes for transitions) each day. Last year I had to concede and pull two groups only three days a week. Most of my students are low enough that they really need a solid 30 minutes everyday. 30 minutes really isn't a lot of time for an intervention. My groups were anywhere from 2-11 students in size last year. This year currently I have groups of 2-5 students which works much better. The exception to this is Junior High which I don't know the numbers for yet. I start pulling Junior High after they finish their assessments. I expect to have them in another two weeks. I'll try to start pulling everyone else full time next week. We started on the 19th of August. I also work with kindergarten groups on computer based literacy software (Lexia Core5) and for that I pull half the class (7 students) for approximately 20 minutes. Once everyone is independent with the computer interventions I will pull students for a few minutes of one-on-one during this time as well. I'll target the lowest students first. What I've been doing this week is pulling students for assessments. I'm assessing all K students on letters, numbers, counting to 15, and name writing just for a quick baseline. I realize his is probably way more information than you needed, sorry!
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

wifiLearner

Title I
Old 08-28-2014, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I service pullouts for 30 minutes daily and I usually have no more than six students in a group. I agree that 30 minutes isn't a lot of time. I usually keep them for thirty five minutes and then the core teachers complain. What criteria do you use to assess students for title I services? Do you have a standard letter that you sent out for core teachers for assessing and making your schedule, if so could you send me a copy? Last year, I serviced pullouts which were 4th and 5th grade students. Please get back with me when you are able to.

Thanks!
wifiLearner is offline   Reply With Quote

wifiLearner

Title I
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I see students five days a week and it is small group instruction for 30 minutes. I have pullouts which are 4th and 5th. Please keep in touch!

Lillybabe

Old 08-30-2014, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do not yet have a letter that teachers use to assess and refer. Last year I would listen to teacher referral and then assess them myself. I would also look at reading grades, benchmark assessments (AIMS, Discovery Ed, STAR Reading) and use that for an idea as well. I take the first two weeks or so to pull students for assessments and start finalizing groups for the first few months. This year I am working on formulating a brief form for teachers to use so that there is documentation. I do have forms I send out to parents once a child has been placed for Title. As for making my schedule I just go around the school with a blank schedule and talk to all the teachers. I have a list of students ranked per grade based on need and I service them based on that. Most of the time I am able to give teachers their first or second choice of time. I just wiggle things around and make it work. I throw myself in a 30 min prep wherever it fits. The only hitch with this is that I always end up with weird gaps in my day where I can't pull students due to everyone having their reading block at the same time. Right now I have no students between 10:10 and 11:10 so I just made 30 of that my prep. I figure I can probably pull students for short periods during their reading block if I have to for individual assessments. My lunch and my JH group are the only things that are kind of set in stone per say. I'm working really hard this year to use my time wisely and plan well initially so that I do not run into core teacher's time and annoy them. I understand their point as well. It's hard to do a lesson when students are out of the room and it's disruptive when students come in during whole group instruction. This is why I blocked out 35 minute time slots wherever I could. There were a few times when I only had 30 minutes to work with and I'm making that work. My current issues are that my room is kind of far from most of my groups. This makes it an issue for getting them there (can't really trust students to walk solo at this point in the year) and there also aren't any bathrooms very close either. I've tried to curb this by giving students I'm picking up a chance to use the restroom when I pick them up. I figure with 5 minutes after a bit of training I can use about three minutes before for bathroom/walking time and two minutes after for the walk back. This will mean I'll have the full 30 minutes to actually work with students.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Padden Girl

Padden Girl

title services
Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

my school has a very specific set of assessment criteria we use to rank order for who will receive title services. we are a 3-5 school, each teacher administers both the DIBELS and the MAZE, title staff helps but teachers do their own, it's good for them to hear the kids read. we also look at last year's spring state test scores. I will have my title students set by the 3rd week of Sept. we then give a school wide GATES the first of Oct and then I usually pick up a few other students that may need comprehension work...
currently we have a set "service pull out " time of 90 minutes for each grade level, so that is the only time I can pull kids is during that time block, also ELL, speech, sped pull as well. this way classroom teacher's don't have a revolving door thru out the day . I prepare all the copies and get class sets of DIBELS together for teachers. I enter all the data by grade level as well as classroom teacher so that way i can get a rank order based on at least 3 different assessments. hope this helps

Kab164

Dibels testing
Old 09-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Do you help teachers with Dibels benchmark testing? If we do at our school, it has to be paid out of general ed. Title funds can be used for progress monitoring, but not benchmark testing. This <is an area that schools have gotten into trouble with for on site reviews or auditors.
Kab164 is offline   Reply With Quote

wifiLearner

Assessments
Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

School started August 25th and students are being assessed by core teachers and they are to be finished by September 22nd. Therefore, as a title I reading teacher we use the teachers data for students who are below grade level instead of assessing them again. My school is k-5. I generally service the older students(4th and 5th). We have teacher assistants but they are called tutors so it appears that we will have few 5th grade students needing services but the tutors will service these students this year.

I must say that the fifth grade team was the most difficult team worked with last year. The 4th grade team was wonderful! So, it looks like I will have 2nd and 4th grade this year. I enjoy my classes and I build relationships with the students in order to make progress. The students don't care about how much you know as long as they know you care!. At this point I have various assessments to reflect the student's learning: exit passes, venn diagrams, bubble maps, KWL chart, ticket out the door, teacher observations, response journals, etc.
My colleague who is a title I reading teacher suggested that I use the core teacher's assessments and trust them so that I won't waste my time testing the students again. Maybe i will give the teacher an optional of choosing the slot for their students and will see how things will fit and come together.
The core teacher usually send an email in weekly plan on the skills and objective to be reinforced for students who are being serviced, such as inferencing, comparing and contrasting, summarizing and so forth.

WWteacher91

Title Schedules
Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Padden Girl...I would love to see your school's schedule for your "service pull out" time.
WWteacher91 is offline   Reply With Quote