Help

The Job Search

CPACE EXAM - Admin Test California

>

starbucksmom1

CPACE EXAM - Admin Test California
Old 01-09-2015, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

has anyone taken and PASSED the CPACE exam? I am taking it in Feb but I don't know anyone that has passed (many have taken it). Would love to consult with someone...
Thanks!

starbucksmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My colleague passed on her second try. She paid for one of those online prep courses--$50 or so for 4 sample tests. She said it really helped.

This February is the last administration of this test. I still am debating whether to try--I have only a few days left to decide. I wonder whether CA is replacing the test or eliminating it.
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

starbucksmom1

CPACE exam
Old 01-11-2015, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Cali is redesigning it. So, if worse comes to worse I can retake the new one next year. Lots of $$... but I have been studying quite hard.

Sariana

Old 01-15-2015, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, I signed up to take the test next month. And now I'm terrified (of the video, not the test!).

Did you see that they are looking for field testers for the new exam? There is a small compensation involved.

starbucksmom1

Cpace 2015
Old 02-26-2015, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I signed up to do the new practice test as a way to get a feel for the real test that I took on feb 16th. I wish I would have seen your post earlier. I could've talked you through the video part. Well, I hope I passed both. I studied very hard with 2 other friends for about 7 weeks ahead of time.
The day of the actual test I got there 2 hours early hoping to get in early, but had to wait an hour. I was all set just to do it. Decided to do all the writing first and then go back to MC. Finished that and looked at my time remaining - 100 minutes! So then I went back a second time and reviewed all my answers etc.. As I reviewed my answers for MC I felt pretty happy with what I picked, and also don't know what else I could have picked for written responses. We find out March 12th.
Best of luck to you!

Sariana

Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good luck to you too!

My colleague/supervisor helped me with the video and with prep. I have a very supportive team--they asked good questions and gave me the opportunity to demonstrate knowledge and do some good reflection on my video.

Apparently they're splitting up the test into two components: Content Assessment and Performance Assessment. EACH section is 3.5-4 hours! Glad I took the old version! That's a lot of seat time.

Of course, I still have to pass.
ChristopherS

ChristopherS

Paying for CPACE
Old 06-08-2015, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm curious...did you pass the Feb test? How did you prepare? Are the couple of online guides a good way to study?

If you dont pass the first time, do you have to pay the $294/$358 again? (I see you can retry in 45 days)

starbucksmom1

Yes!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did pass 😍 there is much information I could share, if you are still interested. I know they have revised it starting this year.
DealiciousMom

DealiciousMom

CPACE help
Old 07-08-2015, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would love it if you could send me any tips or info on the CPACE. I have been studying and am nervous. I take it on Friday
ChristopherS

ChristopherS

Preparing advice
Old 07-09-2015, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just took the performance today. It is nearly identical to the 2 sample performance questions on the CTC website (with different scenerios, of course). The problem was TIME. In order to be thorough on the evaluation question (which included the 12 minute video), it took me 3 of the 4 hours to complete it. Iam sure that I did very well on it, but unfortuanately I only had 1 hour left on the second question (improvements for a school as the new Principal). I went as fast as I could, but only finished 2/3 of it. (about 600 of the required 1000 words). What I did address I am pretty sure was correct, but I didnt get to address the 3rd bullet point. I am guessing that this will be enough to fail me, but who knows? I am thinking that since this is the first of this new batch of tests maybe they will be setting the point system on a curve...especially if many others have a difficult time finishing it all.

Good luck tomorrow. get a good nights sleep, eat a good filling meal, and go in there with a calm mind rather than stressed or worried. All of this helped me.

Wish me luck, tomorrow (Friday July 10) I take the other 1/2 and hope to do better with the multiple choice! At least maybe I will only have to re=take 1 test, if any.

Hey, did anyone find out if you have to pay full price again for re-takes??

BostonKen

Old 07-13-2015, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was wondering how you did on the test Friday. I take the new version tomorrow. Any feedback?
BostonKen is offline   Reply With Quote

BostonKen

Results???? July Test
Old 08-14-2015, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Anyone heard when the test results are coming out? I can't find anything other than TBD.
BostonKen is offline   Reply With Quote
ElenaB

ElenaB

Sp Ed Teacher
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I passed the content portion taken in July, and am scheduled for the performance in Feb. Advice?? Would love to hear from someone who passed performance in July.
LinV

LinV

CPACE Performance
Old 12-22-2015, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hi,
Just wondering if you passed the performance test and if so, did you use any materials to study or take a test prep course (other than looking at the examples on the CTC website)? I passed the multiple choice test and am going to take the performance test in February.
Any advice in addition to what you have already posted would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

sandraek

Cpace
Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

So I am curious ElenaB, what material did you use to study to prepare for the content exam?
sandraek is offline   Reply With Quote
LACATchr

LACATchr

CPACE Performance
Old 11-16-2016, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I passed the CPACE Content on my first try with little study, but now I've taken the Performance twice and received the same score both times. The first time, I didn't study much, but the second time, I felt really prepared and wrote so much more in depth. I got the same score both times and the same "comments" which really are not comments at all. Trying to figure out what I'm missing.

CPACEHopeful

Retesting in February
Old 11-21-2016, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Like you, LACATCHR, I passed the Content Portion the first time. Unfortunately, I was not successful with the Performance Portion and plan on taking it in February. I am currently searching for a Prep Course or Tutor to help me study. If I find one, I'll be happy to post the information. Please let me know if you find one.
CPACEHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Rlb

Rlb

Same!
Old 11-25-2016, 10:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am in the same quandary. Will be taking the performance portion AGAIN in February. Time is my biggest issue. It is so much material to get through, process, and write about two times. If there are any prep courses out there I'd love to hear it.
CynCup

CynCup

CPACE performance
Old 11-27-2016, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

First time - excellent first essay, not second
Second time - same questions, same answer in first but received low score in first and excellent score in second
Makes no sense - irritated!!!
MugsyD

MugsyD

Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Has anyone found a good test prep company? I used Evo prep which has worked for many people, but I would like to try another one since I am going on my 3rd try for Performance. The readers have not liked my responses to school leadership. I paid for a score verification because I have been an administrator for 8 years in another state and have a lot of experience with analyzing data and setting up plans for improvement. I got my answer yesterday- same score . I felt like that was a waste of money.
If you know of another test prep company, please let me know. Thanks and good luck in February!
SeePace

SeePace

Same experience
Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I also passed the content test on the first try and will be attempting the performance test AGAIN this February. I have run out of time both times that I have taken it, there is nothing on the test that I don't feel comfortable with, there just doesn't seem to be enough time to process all of the artifacts, provide a write up and have time to proof read your response. I am looking to try a test prep course and am open to suggestions - Has anyone passed the new Performance test?
hvasugrl

hvasugrl

Old 01-16-2017, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

It appears I am in the same boat as everyone else. I passed the content on the first try with no problem. I took the Evoprep self paced prep course. I thought I was really prepared for the performance portion, but did pass. I am retaking it in February too. Looking for some prep for the performance section.
JHC

JHC

Was your score verification fruitful?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I am paying for the score verification because I have twice missed passing Performance on CPACE with the same score- 219! Only one away from passing? I paid and diligently studied using the Evo Prep and felt really prepared. I already passed the Content. I have my doctorate, I am an administrator who needs to pass this thing inside a specified time period or I cannot keep my administrative position. I have a colleague who passed during the same administration, took his about a week after mine, and had no preparation and no administrative experience. I cannot figure out what is going on with this assessment, but I can't let it beat me and yet I don't know how better to prepare. I'm praying over this score verification process, but would feel so encouraged if it works. Also, did you include an explanation of why you want to have the score verified or did you just list the pertinent, required information?
DanielF

DanielF

my opposite experience
Old 04-25-2017, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I seem to be the oddball here that passed the Performance portion and failed the Content with a score of 216. I paid for the verification and it came back with the same score. Also, I felt extremely confident with all my answers for the Content portion, and was not very confident after the Performance, go figure. For those of you who passed the Content, do you have any tips?
BB TCHR

BB TCHR

Tips for performance
Old 04-30-2017, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

What do you think was the "magic bullet" for passing the performance? I'm in the same boat as others - passed content first time, but have taken the performance twice with no pass and no change in scoring. Even though I felt MUCH MORE thorough the second time, I still got the same score and the same comments, which were not helpful at all. I'm just trying to figure out what I can do differently before I drop ANOTHER $350. I thought it would be cheaper and quicker to do the testing instead of the coursework, but this is getting ridiculous. Thanks in advance fr tips or advice.

Gbarnga

Cpace
Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Has anyone used teacherstestprep.com? And if so, did it help?
Gbarnga is offline   Reply With Quote
Gulia

Gulia

Performance Question
Old 05-08-2017, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Hi,
You said you took the performance part more than once. Were the content and essay questions the same each time? I will be taking the performance part for the 2nd time soon, I want to make sure I'm prepared.

Thank you!!!
DanielF

DanielF

What I did to pass the Performance
Old 05-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

For me, I made sure to reference EVERY piece of evidence that they supply you. Find at least one thing in each piece that you can use in your write up. And also you need to state a WHY for everything you include. Explicitly note when you use the evidence as well. It can be cumbersome, but very beneficial to your score.

Don't go off topic. Stick to the evidence you include and why it helps your overall school vision. Do not go under the 1000 word minimum. My girlfriend took it the same day and failed to remember the word minimum and received a score of 175.

One last thing, and I don't know how much it helped, but I used "professional development" in both write-ups and expanded on that a lot throughout both, using the statistical evidence provided to back up my professional development recommendations.

I'll be taking the Content again in a couple weeks (my score verification request on my 216 proved to not be fruitful). Wish me luck and I'd love to get some tips on that one to push up my score a few points. It was weird, I scored lower than expected on the multiple choice, but I was very confident on my answers...
performance

performance

taking performance in feb
Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

hello,
I am taking performance portion in a few days. I know a lot of you were also going to be taking it in feb. Any tips for me as I havent sat for it yet. I passed content already first try.

cm2plus2

Test prep recommendations
Old 04-06-2018, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Any suggestions on a program to study with...teachers prep? EVO? Any practice books?
cm2plus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
jennucla

jennucla

CPACE Study Programs
Old 04-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I used "teacherstestprep"and I went to a two day training in-person. I passed the Content the first time, however, I did not pass the performance. I have not yet retaken the performance. One thing I did was record the teacher on the down-low and literally listened to my recordings to study for weeks. This test prep does go over the Performance part of the test but it was only for like an hour of the two day test prep training which apparently was not enough to pass for me. I am going to try EVO this time around when I take the test again in June.

Good Luck!

starbucksmom1

Passing the CPACE
Old 05-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

UPdate ** I passed the CPACE all sections and video the first time. Was so proud of my efforts! Really enjoyed the study process too - used practice tests online and also anything else I found online to study. I also had a study group and all 3 of us passed!
However, I have not been able to find an admin position in my district. I applied twice and did not even make it to the 2nd round of interviews. I have a feeling that I am seen as a "teacher's teacher" and so I have decided to embrace that which I have been for 29 years (plus I may be too old for them!) In any case, seeing what admin has to do at my school, I am actually secretly happy that I was not chosen. It seems like a dead -end job with little interaction with students. I still love teaching and plan to do that until I retire. In any case I am still very proud to list my admin credential on my resume and applications. Some things just make us stronger and smarter and this process certainly did.
Best of luck to everyone that is still contemplating a career in admin. If you have any questions about the testing process, materials used or anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out. I was the last round of the old exam so it may be different now (although I also piloted the new admin exam as well and can vouch that it was VERY similar to the one I actually took).
aspiringp

aspiringp

Study Tips
Old 06-22-2018, 11:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

What study guides and materials did you use specifically to pass the test? What practice tests did you use and where did you get them from?
teachristine

teachristine

Congrats
Old 07-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Congratulations on successfully passing both parts of the CPACE. Could you share what actually happens during the video/performance portion of the exam? Thank you
JennaSc

JennaSc

Admin
Old 07-05-2018, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Hi all,

I just passed both CPACE exams on the first attempt. I used two books to prepare. I also did a few free online practice tests on different test prep websites but didn’t sign up for their prep packages. I started preparing a month ahead of time for about 8 hours per week.

My advice is to study the responses for the essays and to understand to the expectations of how you need to respond to pass. They grade on a rubric, so look for and study the “formula” of the sample responses. It was even helpful to read through sample essay prompts without associated sample responses and to work through how you’d respond. There is a definite time crunch — 4 hours passes shockingly fast, so the more you’ve already worked through how you’re going to respond to a variety of prompts, the better you’ll do during the test. Cite your sources in your response.

Study as many multiple choice questions as you can find. These are hard to prepare for — it’s basically study skills and getting in the right frame of mind to read and answer the questions correctly.

I took a break halfway through the second exam and chugged some coffee and a protein bar. It really helped keep my energy up for the second round of writing.

Good luck!
StephIsHere

StephIsHere

CPACE Performance Nightmare
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

It sounds like I am in the same boat as most of you... misery loves company so I guess I will take some comfort in that.
I passed the Content the first time. Teachertestprep was helpful for that, though they didnít cover the Performance section thoroughly. I struggled and did not finish within the time limit.
For my second attempt I signed up for Evoís self-guided prep course and studied relentlessly. I was confident in my responses and wrote more than 1100 words for each with plenty of time to spare. I didnít want to get my hopes up, but I really thought that I had passed.
I RECEIVED THE SAME SCORE AS THE FIRST ATTEMPT!!!
I am not a quitter, but I donít know where to go from here. I donít know what I could have done differently or better
Guest1235813

Guest1235813

Same as you
Old 07-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I had the same happen. I could have just about written your post. Little study and easily passed content on the first try. Then, after no success on the Performance part 3 times (!!!) , and studying more each time, I still have not passed it. I can't bring myself to go through that grueling test one more time and pay hundreds of dollars for the misery. So, now I'm just going to do a 1 year admin MA. Oh well, I need the units to move up on the salary scale anyway

Specialtchr18

Old 07-19-2018, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Congrats on passing all sections the first time. That's amazing! Can you share what materials you used to study and anything else you think was helpful in passing?
Specialtchr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
JennaSc Rea

JennaSc Rea

Admin
Old 08-09-2018, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I can't post the specific books I bought because they get blocked by this website, but I did buy two of them online, which mainly helped for the Content test. The most helpful thing for passing the Performance is thoroughly studying the sample responses posted on the CTC website and working through sample essay prompts. You have to hit each part of the rubric in your response, and answer each component of the essay with multiple examples/key words.
Israel

Israel

Old 09-29-2018, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I plan to take the test, both sections soon, would you give a clue on where to find the books, Amazon? or other site? I would really appreciate it, thanks
Rezil E. Ent

Rezil E. Ent

3rd Try on CPACE Performance
Old 10-14-2018, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Hello All,

I've taken the Content section twice (awaiting results in early November), and I've also taken the Performance section twice (third test scehduled for February). I have used one online test prep website that I personally didn't feel prepared me. I needed a 220 to pass and got a 118 for the first attempt at the Content section. I scored a 204 and then a 181 (in that order) for the Performance section. Doing the math, I've spent $588 on the Content and $1074 on the Performace.....a whopping $1662.

Honestly, I will keep taking the test until I pass BUT does anyone have any other tips for passing the Performance aside from those that have already been provided in this forum? I was 16 points away on my first try and 39 away on my second try. I absolutely NEED my thrid time to be a charm. I've reviewed the samples, I've reviewed the rubric, I've studied the material to apply in a written response, and I've read, watched youtube videos on several topics, and used the resources from the CTC website. I know there are test hacks that anyone has used that can get me the boost in points i need to pass? I'm pretty sure that passing CPACE testers won't be on here because they are busy celebrating or applying for principal positions, but anything that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. More than anything, I need someone to share their expereince with the School Leadership Module. Thanks a ton!
This is hard

This is hard

Cpace performance
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Hello,

Just passed content section on my first try. I thought that test was super hard. Everything I studied was not on the test. I expected to see questions on laws and different theories but didnít see anything. My advice to those struggling is the process of elimination (worked for me).

My question is can someone help by letting us know what kind of questions they have seen in the performance section on school leadership assignments or which which assignments they have practiced writing on?

Thanks and congrats to those that have passed

DesertTOSA

CPACE Performance Prep
Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Hi there! I took the content and passed in October, and have a scheduled date for Performance in February. What online test prep resources have people used, and what are the pros/cons with each? I'm looking specifically at Evo Prep and TeacherTestPrep.

Thanks for the help!
DesertTOSA is offline   Reply With Quote

DesertTOSA

Old 11-25-2018, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

What online prep courses have you used? I'm looking between two, but would love some insight into whether or not Evo Prep is worth the money, or if teachertestprep is the way to go.

Thanks!
DesertTOSA is offline   Reply With Quote
SBThree

SBThree

CPACE advice or encouragement?
Old 02-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Hi folks!
I have been so grateful to stumble on your forum because there is so little feedback from teachers who have attempted this test. Iím planning to take both sections in a few weeks and would love any last minute tried and true tips. I have been attempting to study a few test prep books I have found online as well as my notes from an in-person teacherís test prep seminar.

I think the unknown is what is intimidating. Anyone been through it recently that can shed some light/advice on the process?

Thank you!!!