ESL/LEP

An interesting ending...

>

JSPESLTeacher

An interesting ending...
Old 05-15-2015, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Dear Teacher Friends,

As of yesterday, I received word from my district that my contract will not be renewed. The reason? Financially, they can not afford me. However, it is my understanding that by NH law, they are required to have an ESL teacher teaching students. This has definitely been an interesting and abrupt change to what it means to me in terms of the hell I went through over the last (almost) six months. Curious for anybody's thoughts? I am okay, a little depressed/little bit worried/little bit angry. Who is going to teach these kids and test them appropriately?

Hopefully things change and for the better--but for now bigger and hopefully closer to home things on the horizon. Thanks for the love and support through this semester guys.

Jake

JSPESLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-15-2015, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm an old dog, so it doesn't surprise me that a district would ax a program or a positon that was required by law. I've seen just about everything in more than 30 years of teaching.

You made a difference, whether you can see it or not. Time to dust yourself off and move on to bigger and better things, as you said.

Yes, it is a travesty for these students to go un/underserved,but that's out of your hands. Focus on what you can control, and let us know when you have a new job. Best wishes!!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm wondering
Old 05-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

if the district is in the habit of hiring ESL teachers briefly when they know an audit is in the offing. That may well explain the lack of support and reaching out.

You did your part, you were there for the students. The rest is out of your control.

It's a good thing that you are now free to find a more conducive placement.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

JSPESLTeacher

Addendum
Old 05-18-2015, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At this point, I have no idea what happened, just that they could no longer afford me. I am genuinely concerned for my students and what happens next.
JSPESLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote