Update in Job Search "Ventures" Interview with Superintendent - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Update in Job Search "Ventures" Interview with Superintendent

>

littlemsteach

Update in Job Search "Ventures" Interview with Superintendent
Old 07-16-2015, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,

If you've been following me I've been struggling in finding a job the past year. I left feeling great after an interview yesterday and for my dream position and my dream school. I was told I would hear about their decision early next week. I just got an email from the director that they were "very impressed with my interview and were excited to get to know me further in a ventures interview with HR for a 1:1 scenario based dialogue and I would hear from HR soon". I'm not sure what this a ventures interview is. Can anyone help?

I received a voicemail from HR that they want to interview me tomorrow with the educational services and human resources superintendent. I've never interviewed with a superintendent before. What can I expect from this? I want to be well prepared and ready! Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by littlemsteach; 07-16-2015 at 05:35 PM..
littlemsteach is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtoteach316

I Just Had One This Week
Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello!
In my final interview (5/5 for the same position), I interviewed with the Superintendent of the District for one hour. It was very pleasant! She looked at my portfolio and asked me a lot of questions pertaining to my previous position. She also asked me questions about myself ,which made me feel like she really wanted to know who I was as a person. She also discussed her goals for the district. I was very impressed with the interview and that she would take an hour to get to know me. At the end, she offered me the position. I gladly accepted. Wishing you the best of luck! Just be yourself!
luvtoteach316 is offline   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Congrats!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congrats luvtoteach! I called back HR and they said it would be about an hour as well and that they had all my materials so I didn't need to bring anything (I'll probabaly bring my portfolio just in case.) So nothing I need to prepare for? Were you offered the position at the end of the interview? Were their other candidates interviewing with her? I really want this dream position badly and don't wait to psych myself out. Thank you!

luvtoteach316

Hello Again.....
Old 07-16-2015, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

After an initial screening, panel interview with 12 people, and a demo lesson, I was the top candidate to go on to a meeting with the Head of HR and then finally the Supr. When I initially had my screening there were 12 of us. It was then narrowed down to 4 for the panel,and then 2 for the demo. Yes, I was offered the position at the end of my interview with the Supr. I then went to HR to fill out paperwork and will be approved by the BOE in 2 weeks. I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes!
luvtoteach316 is offline   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you. That does help. I just had a 30 min interview with with the director, principal, and teacher I would be potentially co teaching with. I'm trying to stay positive and am very eager for tomorrow! I will keep you posted! 😊

tmbg

good luck
Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just want to wish you luck! I hope you get the job!
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedQueenBee

good luck
Old 07-16-2015, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

good luck on your interview tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts your way.
SpedQueenBee is online now   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Old 07-16-2015, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you!

GraceKrispy

Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I'm not sure what this a ventures interview is. Can anyone help?
I had never heard of a Ventures interview before I had one several years back In my old district, you had to go through a Ventures interview and be "approved for hire" by the interviewer before you could go on a "regular" interview with a principal/interview team. So a Ventures interview just cleared you for regular interviewing and possible hire.

Our Ventures interview was basically a standard set of questions- potential scenarios and general questions. It was pretty comprehensive, all about teaching. Nothing specifically about the district/school. Questions like "is it more important to be liked or to be respected by students?" and "what would you do if a parent came to school and was very upset about something?" and "how do you teach reading?" etc etc

Good luck!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you! I'm wondering if its like those teacher fit questionnaires I would fill out for other districts using Applitrack? I think it a little odd to have a Ventures interview after an interview with the director and principal, but I'm hoping this will lead to an offer. Staying positive!

GdHrtdTchr

Tomorrow's Interview
Old 07-16-2015, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Just want to join others in wishing you good luck.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you GdHrtdTchr!

basketball777

Old 07-16-2015, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My last job you had a ventures interview....it's like the PP said general type of questions &!scenarios. Then you get a score for it.....but they won't mention that to u. Then I interviewed w assist superintendent (but it was more like a conversation & just tell me about it background)and was offered the job... I'd say try not to be nervous...you pretty much basically are already being offered the job and these r just the last steps before the final offer (I did these two interviews even after the reference check).

My recently offered job there was no ventures interview...I was offered a job on the spot at an interview...then the superintendent interviewed me with about 4 questions. It was called the meet & greet...I was more nervous for that interview than when I met the assist Superintendemt at my previous job.

Well good luck!
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

Just wanted to add...
Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Go GET 'EM!
You sound like you are prepared.
Be confident.
Deep breathing.
Take things one at a time.

Sounds very positive!

Sending all my positive vibes to you!!!
AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

HighSchool14

Old 07-17-2015, 01:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Sending positive thoughts your way, good luck!
HighSchool14 is offline   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Old 07-17-2015, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you everyone!!!

ZipLine

Old 07-17-2015, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Excited to hear how your interview went! Sending positive vibes!
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Waiting game now
Old 07-17-2015, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I feel that I did my best today. It was much like teacher fit questions, all scenario based. I sent a thank you email to the superintendent. He was interviewing a few other possible candidates. I will find out by Wednesday. Staying positive!

SpEdDee

Good luck!!
Old 07-19-2015, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Seems like it went well!!!! We'll keep our fingers crossed!
SpEdDee is offline   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

I hope so!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I apologize for being so antsy everyone but this is my dream position for sped at the elementary level in my dream level so it's kind of hard not to be! I keep reading the directors email and feel like I'm over analyzing everything. Just need to stay positive and hope for the best!

littlemsteach

Crushed yet again
Old 07-23-2015, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Well I didn't get the position. It was between me and another candidate who had more experience. The director had great things to say and she said I did amazing and she had no negative feedback or anything she wished she had from me. The superintendent called later to tell me more and that I'm the first person he's ever called who didn't get the job to let them know how great I did. I almost feel worse knowing I was so, so, so close and how professional the administration was afterward. Rejection just stinks...

Seaturtle08

Sorry!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I know it can feel worse to know that you were so, so close and just got edged out. One thing that has helped me is thinking of it this way: you did so well and have many skills that this district found appealing about you as a candidate, another district will see those skills too! Keep going!

(P.S. Your first job might not be perfect, I know mine wasn't- it wasn't even in my main field, but it gave me some experience and knowledge about the area that gave me a leg up when I went on interviews this summer!)
Seaturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

littlemsteach
Old 07-25-2015, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Sorry you weren't hired this time around, but. . .
You impressed all those with whom you interviewed and they will remember you. You may be recommended to another district, or get a call later in the summer or even after school begins with an offer based on your great interviews.

New teachers often don't realize that hiring goes on sometimes into October. In my district enrollment numbers are check on the fourth statistical Friday (the last day of the 4th week of school). Often there is teacher movement among classes and schools as teaching ratios are adjusted after that week. Very often there is some hiring as districts are surprised by more students showing up than were expected.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMsSunshine

So sorry
Old 07-26-2015, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I'm so sorry that you didn't get this job! But...it's not the end! You made a great impression on all the right people, and I'm sure they'll remember you when they have another open position!! It's happened to me before!
LilMsSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Thank You everyone
Old 07-28-2015, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I'm trying not to get down, but as you know it's hard. I had a second interview yesterday. 2 today one of which I didn't get back in january, one tomorrow for a position I didn't get back in May, and one on Thursday. So far I haven't heard back from 2 I previously interviewed for. Someone's gotta take a chance on me. I've come so close!!!

jenkinder78

know the feeling
Old 08-12-2015, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I know the feeling!! I taught kindergarten for 4 years and then took a 13 year break to raise my kids. I have been substituting for the past 2 years and am now ready to go back full time. I didn't think it would be so difficult to get back in. I have been on 3 interviews and did not get picked for any of them. I really thought I did great on 2 of the 3 interviews! Still hoping for a miracle as the start of school is so close! Good luck to you!
jenkinder78 is offline   Reply With Quote

littlemsteach

Thank You
Old 08-18-2015, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Thanks! I've had 9 interviews already this summer and have been passed by someone with more experience and runner up a few times. The same school opened another position up so I'm hoping I can get an interview and wow the team. I'm hoping with August more positions will open up and hopefully we will find something! I feel with your experience you will get something soon! Do keep me posted and good luck!!