Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Activities for October

>

Gimet

Activities for October
Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What's your favorite activity to teach this month? I love the life sequence of a pumpkin. Another fun one is to put different emotional faces on orange ping pong balls and add them to your water table with scoops. And Eric Carle's Spider book!!! and counting plastic spiders with a real water spout!

One more....If you open a pumpkin, poke some holes in the bottom for drainage, add potting soil and water... the results are awesome!

Last edited by Gimet; 10-03-2015 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: one more thing
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

I teach K!

Some of my favorites
Old 10-03-2015, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We make pumpkin pie pudding.

I also love asking young kids what they think is inside a pumpkin and them cutting it open and letting them explore the goo.

In math we explore weight and measurement with pumpkins, mini pumpkins, Indian corn, and gourds.

We make torn paper pumpkins to develop fine motor skills.

I love fall/ pumpkin activities!
I teach K! is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 10-04-2015, 12:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Gimet, doesnt the pumpkin start to rot and smell after a few days? We usually toss our class pumpkin within a week as mold sets in. Am I being too squeamish? How many days do you keep this set-up going?

After we cut open class pumpkin and dig out seeds, I have kids cut 2 large traced circles, one orange, one yellow, as best they can. They write however much of their name they know on back of yellow circle. The orange one says Whats inside my pumpkin? Kids glue pumpkin seeds and orange yarn pieces onto yellow circle. Dry. Staple orange on top of yellow cutout.

I love the idea of counting Dollar Tree spiders with a real water spout. So very fun for 1:1 correspondence. Do you use one dice (die), or just show a numeral? You could do both.

www.preschool-plan-it.com has some fun pumpkin activities, as well.

Last edited by RealisticPreK; 10-04-2015 at 12:51 AM..
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 10-04-2015, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I put the pumpkin in a dish pan, it held together until it was full of vines popping out , then collapsed and we planted it. We had blossoms, but didn't get pumpkins. It's usually really hot here in October, so I'm guessing being full of dirt and having drainage holes slowed the molding process.

Either dice or a number would work with the spiders. The fun part was counting the spiders after they came out of the water spout!

Cute idea for the insides of the pumpkin. One year I had a student predict that there would be ice cream inside the pumpkin!
Veronica123

Veronica123

Old 10-10-2015, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My favorite activities are
Having them predict whats in the pumpkin and then carve it and have them gut it.
Predict if they float or sink.
We paint our own little pumpkins

This year we are going to make a pumkin explod with rubber bands I am pretty excited for this.

Non pumpkin related I string a hula hoop with yarn and lay out spider rings and dice. They roll the dice and add the spiders to the web.

RealisticPreK

Old 10-11-2015, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Veronica123, what a fantastic idea for a whole group dice and 1:1 activity. I'm telling my coworkers, too!
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 10-11-2015, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's nice to see this board becoming more active. Thank you everyone, sharing ideas helps build our capacity--and makes our jobs easier! Mahalo!

nickhca

Pumpkin Playdough
Old 10-18-2015, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I found a recipe for pumpkin play dough. 2 ingredients - One can of pumpkin puree and mix in enough corn starch to make it moldable. Smells great and works perfect for our pumpkin unit!
nickhca is offline   Reply With Quote

SU2017

Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My teacher for field placement loves to have the students take a pumpkin and create a story character out of it based on the readings from unit one. They also bring them in on October 30th and showcase them. One catch to this is that they can not puncture or carve the pumpkin. I can not wait to see them.
SU2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

luv these ideas!!!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

. . .Life cycle of the pumpkins wins hands down for me along with measuring the circumference, weighing , sinking and floating and something I just learned this year. . .counting the lines of the pumpkin on the outside is related to the seeds on the inside. My students loved the sensory bags I made out of pumpkin pulp, seeds, and fun little critters that supposedly ate through the pumpkins! We were going to make candy corns to attach to dowel rods to make pointers but I'm just going to string them for a candy corn banner. They are made from a simple paper plate. . .orange paint on the outside, next yellow, then white. Cut them like a pie and you have candy corns. And of course lots of counting and one to one correspondence with candy corns!!

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

periwinklez

Old 10-25-2015, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Love the pumpkin play doh and candy corn art idea!!
periwinklez is offline   Reply With Quote

moldingminds1

We LOVE bats!
Old 10-31-2015, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love to teach the pumpkins lifecycle. So many literacy and math lessons can be incorporated within this theme. However, my kids thoroughly enjoyed learning about bats. We studied bat facts and compared them to birds. We also read Stellaluna.We incorporated bat facts and comparisons into our writing as well.
moldingminds1 is offline   Reply With Quote