Help

Gifted Education

Vocabulary

>

AMac

Vocabulary
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to know what others do as far as vocabulary with the GT kids. My program is a pull-out. The previous teacher taught Greek/Latin root words and the kids hated it! Last year was my first year and I gave them a break from it but do think that it is important. What do you do? Do you use words from your study or do you teach Greek/Latin root words?

If I used Greek/Latin root words, I want to make it fun and interesting for the kids? Any ideas?

AMac is offline   Reply With Quote

GT@EHE

GT@EHE

Latin Root idea
Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have not taught Latin or Greek Roots in GT but I did in the regular classroom with groups of higher readers. Each week we would choose a new root and they would create some symbol that could represent it (i.e. star=aster). They would create a graphic organizer ( on 12 x 18 const. paper) with the root in the center within the symbol and examples of the words containing the root around it. I also let them look words up on encarta online (which gives the origin of words). My students really liked when we did the word studies. They had a chance to "discover" new words, find those same words in their readings, and work collaboratively. I would choose a high quality chart to hang around the room. The lessons were done very casually and I really love word origins so they may have also been feeding off of my enthusiasm.
Hope the wordy explanation helped.

Good luck

yesteach

Combination of the two...
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I tried using Evan-Moors "Word a Day" book... but only having them once per week, it was not terribly effective. So we just pulled vocabulary from any content we were studying or from the stories in the Junior Great Books.

But, I also teach Greek and Latin roots in context, especially in science, I always include the roots in the vocabulary, and then we brainstorm other words that have these same roots and how they connect.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

JenKip

Gifted Vocab.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What grade do you teach?
I teach middle school and base my vocabulary on SAT/ACT word lists to help prepare them for these tests.
I have used Greek/Latin roots in the past, but the series I was using was way too difficult.
I use a lot of graphic organizers with instruction. Also, I have done my lessons using the Jigsaw strategy. I had some success with this. Some students "teach" better than others, though.
I've been looking into more content/ concept vocabulary for next fall, to make it more meaningful.
JenKip is offline   Reply With Quote