Help

The Job Search

Non-re-elect/ Non renewed

>

4thadventure

Non-re-elect/ Non renewed
Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Unfortunately, I was just issued a non- re-elect notification from my district.
It was non- re-elect without cause. I am currently in the process of seeking employment elsewhere, but I am not certain how I address the question on applications for "reason for leaving" .

Or the question : Have you ever been dismissed or asked to resign from any position?

I am choosing to finish the remainder of the school year, as I would like to be able to finish my induction program and get my CA credential cleared, so that means I will be accepting the non-re-elect.

Is being dismissed the same as non- re-elect? Has this happened to anyone? Did it effect your employment?

4thadventure is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 02-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reason for leaving would be "laid off". It is routine for schools to pink slip non-tenured teachers. Most districts will think nothing of it and it is not a black mark against you. This happens all the time to new teachers when enrollment is decreasing.

No, I do not believe that it is the same as being dismissed. You were laid off- not fired. I would answer no to that question.

I was non-reelected and it did not affect my future employment at all.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Smiley

Also been non-renewed...
Old 03-25-2016, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've also been non-renewed in the past, and I answer the questions with yes. I don't believe in being dishonest in order to get another teaching position (even by omission). I answer: "Yes, I had a contract for the 2008-2009 that was non-renewed for the following year. The principal told me only that "the school is moving in a different direction." To this day, I don't know why I was non-renewed. I have several letters of recommendation from within said building to attest to my competency and passion for teaching."

Good luck! I was hired for a new school the summer after receiving the non-renewal. Sell yourself!
Mrs. Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote