The Job Search

Depressed

>

YoullGetAJob

YoullGetAJob

Depressed
Old 07-14-2016, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've only been called for one interview this summer (just like last summer) and I didn't even make it to the second round (just like last summer). I'm starting to think it's time to give up. There were over 600 applicants for the job I interviewed for. I only got an interview because I already worked in the district. Now, my chances are zero because I already bombed this interview so I doubt I'll even get an interview next year. Everyone says, "You'll get a job! Now you'll do better next year!" People say that like its no big deal to be stuck with another year of struggling to get by, not turning the heat on in the winter, having no benefits, etc. "You'll get a job" seems pointlessly optimistic when there are not 600 jobs for all those people who applied. As well, I'm 33 and planned to start a family this year, but if I'm pregnant next summer, I can kiss any job opportunities goodbye automatically.

substeph

That's how it's been for me
Old 07-14-2016, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I graduated in 2012 and have not found a teaching job. My loans starting kicking in and my kids became teenagers and I needed full time employment so I found something else. It really stinks because I just wanted to teach. I also wanted to be on the same schedule as my kids but subbing just doesn't pay enough

If you can, stick it out. Maybe something will come up mid year. I wish I had stuck it out but financially I wasn't able to. Good Luck
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

PhiSig269

Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel the same way. A coworker just landed an interview by knowing a principal. I applied for the job and heard nothing and I also work in the district. I'm so mad & frustrated. Plus, last year I interviewed and was given 15 hrs to come up with a demo. This girl gets 3 days to prepare too! I busted my butt this year, ran numerous events, scored great on my evaluations, and had great reccomendations by my boss. Not a phone call for an interview. Applying is clearly a waste of time unless you know someone.

Last edited by PhiSig269; 07-14-2016 at 05:55 PM..
PhiSig269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Madaly320

Old 07-14-2016, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am sorry what subject/grade/level are you looking to teach?

I have a teaching job but its at a small private, year round school and I am looking to get into public school. The issue I keep running into is that I get called to interview out of obligation. These schools know who they want to hire but need to interview so many people before they can officially hire who they want. It sucks because I end up using my very precious personal time, get myself all nervous, dressed up and all that, only for it to go nowhere, not a call back or rejection letter...nothing. They don't care that some people only earn so much time off and then they waste it on pointless interviews.

Its so sad

Hang in there!!!
Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote

bteach99

Depressing summer
Old 07-14-2016, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Everyone says don't worry, but I worry.
I cannot get refinanced without a permanent job. I can't feel confident about anything because I have no job. Retirement is not even a thought. I have to pay my loan but now Im out of work - AGAIN. Summer is depressing.

I feel like a failure and want to quit. Every interview I go on seems to be a joke because its obvious that the job is filled.

So sick of it all. I also did great on evaluations, etc. but no job offer.
I see others get jobs with far less credentials because they are the niece of a friend of a cousin of an in law of someone on the board. Ready to quit.

bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

PhiSig269

Old 07-14-2016, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah, apparently it is who you know....
PhiSig269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I feel the same. I waited 4 years to get my first teaching job. And then I thought things would be good. But toxic school, bad boss, and I was subbing and interviewing. Then I nearly got my dream job only to lose it from a bad reference...

I am in my early 30s too. I am infertile and we need to get a loan for treatment. And I hate the thought of subbing for who know how long as these younger people somehow land the job so many of us want.

And I am a really good teacher! This is what I am supposed to do... I hate it. I have career plans, ambitions, and goals.
Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote
guestabc

guestabc

relocating
Old 07-14-2016, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Are you all willing to relocate to Texas? There are still some serious job openings in the larger school districts like Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. I know because my sister just got a job with a district just outside of Dallas. In fact, she had 5 job offers! The state even offers a loan forgiveness program if you teach in a subject area in which there is a shortage of teachers. Some districts even offer stipends for teaching math and science. I hope everything turns out ok, and that you find a job that makes you feel happy and fulfilled. Good luck job hunting.

tgbwc

Relocate
Old 07-15-2016, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If one can or is open to relocating, I don't think it's difficult to get a teaching job. We never seem to have enough. I understand if this isn't possible it can be very difficult to land one in some areas.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 07-15-2016, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Basically, they are begging here. They seriously had to beg, because I was not going to do it, and they desperately need teachers. About an hour ago, I was called for a permanent teaching position and I have not even finished college, have not done student teaching, and have not even filled out the application. (In fact, I just renewed my sub license).

It is all about Location. New Mexico, Las Vegas, Arizona. Yes, it is hot, but the jobs are here. I think in Hawaii too.

Anyway, at least I will be able to pay a big chunk of my student loan off as a regular teacher.

Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

VAtoFL

Old 07-15-2016, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have never had a problem finding a job, but I have known many who have had a hard time finding a job and here are some things I have noticed:
First, are you in a field that has a glut of teachers? In many places that would be elementary ed, secondary history, social studies.
Second, are you in an area that cranks out teacher candidates? Some states have a lot of teacher colleges and graduate way more people than there are local jobs available.
Also, I have also noticed that some people who take on long-term sub jobs get overlooked when a permanent position becomes available. I'm not sure why this happens, because they are often great teachers, but I have known several LTS who can't get a gig in a district they currently work in

Now, some suggestions...can you move? Can you get another endorsement/certification? In some states all you need to do is take a test in another subject area and you can get certified. I just did that with a move to a new state and that was the key to me getting a job. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it
I'm sure this is very frustrating!
VAtoFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 07-15-2016, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The news today in Hawaii said they need over 600 teachers. .............
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

5thinphilly

Job searches
Old 07-16-2016, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hawaii does not pay enough to live on so that won't fix any problems other than having a job. Other relocation opportunities are likely better as far as COL/ pay, but don't go to Hawaii.

As far as student loans go, can you defer them while you are unemployed? Some loans allow that I think. If you are willing to teach in a Title I school, you may find more openings and you can also qualify for loan forgiveness after a certain number of years (might be 5, I'm not totally sure).
5thinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-16-2016, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

North Carolina needs teaches too.

I lived in NJ many years ago and could not get a public school teaching job to save my life! Moved to NC and I had 5 offers in a week.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Our List
Old 07-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've posted this before, but if it helps anyone I'll post it again:

https://careers.fcps.edu/vl/vacancy.htm

Below are the "critical field areas", but that doesn't mean they aren't hiring other positions. I counted 45 full time classroom positions in grades K-3.

Critical Field Areas

2016-17 School Year

- Audiologist
- English as a Second Language
- General Ed., Grades 4-6
- Immersion* (Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Spanish)
- Latin
- Librarian
- Mathematics
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physics
- Reading
- Spanish
- Special Education
- Speech-Language Pathologist
- Technology Education
(*Fluent speakers with elementary education preK-6 endorsement or dual endorsed in World Language preK-12 and elementary education preK-6)

flutetoot

Old 07-16-2016, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Keep Looking - be flexible, and be patient. It took me 7+ years to find the perfect job for myself, and I ended up moving 800 miles away! But I am so happy I did.

And I am also an "older" teacher - my district now seems to appreciate that!

I know someone else mentioned this, but come to Virginia - we need teachers!
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Yep.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My list above is from my district in VA.
YoullGetAJob

YoullGetAJob

Old 07-18-2016, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Moving is not an option for me (and I can imagine probably not for the other older teachers who have replied) - my husband has a job at a company that he likes and asking him to quit his job and uproot our entire life so I can get a job isn't really fair or worthwhile. (I also have other personal family reasons that I am unable to move.) I don't really feel like it's inflexible to be unable to move, it's just not an option for everyone's life. I don't know about everyone else with student loans, but I do currently pay only part of the interest on mine, which means I'll be paying them for about 35 years. I am elementary certified in southeastern Pennsylvania, which is basically the same as looking for a job as president of a country. I do work in a Title I school. I work in a position that was outsourced to a sub service even though it's all day every day - that way they don't have to pay benefits, sick days, etc. The problem is that this is now the only district where I know anybody, and if I already didn't make it to a second round of interviews in this district, will I ever?

5thinphilly

Job search SE PA
Old 07-19-2016, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Are you near Philly? They are always hiring here: https://jobs.philasd.org/opportuniti...-vacancy-list/
5thinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
desperateagan

desperateagan

need a job
Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Where in VA are these positions?

teachnkids

Old 07-19-2016, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
Moving is not an option for me (and I can imagine probably not for the other older teachers who have replied) - my husband has a job at a company that he likes and asking him to quit his job and uproot our entire life so I can get a job isn't really fair or worthwhile. (I also have other personal family reasons that I am unable to move.
Absolutely agree that moving would not be a good option for you! For others it is, and they don't want to do it. I came from the mindset where I was willing o move anywhere for a job...even leaving my BF behind. He is now my DH and was supportive of me doing whatever.

When will the job market loosen up in the north east....been like this for 35+ years????
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Old 07-20-2016, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

desperateagan,

I posted a link to my district a few posts up.

jjame0113

Old 07-21-2016, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I hear ya! Where do you live? I live in Connecticut and its exactly the same, over 400 applicants for 1 job and it really is all about who you know!!! I was a building sub (making horrible money) for the past year just to get my foot in the door and they loved me..the students, teachers, everyone! i got great letters of rec and then at the end of the year a permanent job opened and I didn't get it!!!! It really is frustrating. They say to get a job you must sub, but I am 32, single and live alone, there is no way I could afford to live and pay my bills getting paid $80 a day (before taxes)! I have always wanted to teach, I am great with the students and I know this is what I am meant to do but I am seriously thinking about giving up...
jjame0113 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Old 07-21-2016, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Jjame0113,

Is there anything keeping you in Connecticut?

flutetoot

Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I moved from CT to VA - best thing I've done. I have a job I love and respect, plus I can afford to live here.
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

jjame0113

Old 07-26-2016, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Kinda, my boyfriend lives here and he has two kids..therefore he would never be able to move. Otherwise nothing else is really keeping me here, but he's kinda a big deal in my life! lol
jjame0113 is offline   Reply With Quote

reenie201

Some ideas
Old 08-11-2016, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I'm also older and got a job last year in a Title 1 school, a month into the school year due to an increase in enrollment. I was hired Sept 25, and had students in my classroom Sept 30. It was an extremely hard thing to do but also invigorating and exciting! The pool of applicants really shrinks after school starts, and it was a tough school so I know there were less applicants.

It was a 1 year contract so I'm looking again this summer. I apply, email the principal and then go to school and introduce myself. It's very nerve wracking but I had an interview yesterday and that's the reason why!

If I don't get hired in a public school I plan to look at charter and private schools, then long term sub jobs and finally a paraprofessional job. I live in MN where there are many applicants for each posting. It is frustrating but there are options.

I don't plan to give up because this is the work I want to do. Stay positive and pursue some networking options. I agree it is who you know, but sometimes you can get to know people that will help you. Just by starting a conversation. For example I was in a summer class and one of my classmates said her principal was hiring a .5 resource teacher job. She told him about me. I called the principal and got an interview. We clicked. I got the job. This job was in another district a ways away from me. I had been subbing in my home district and could not get hired. Very frustrating! So I looked elsewhere and they thought I was the greatest thing! Spread out your search and there might be more jobs.

Good luck. I feel your pain. I'm in my 50's!
reenie201 is offline   Reply With Quote