Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Early Childhood Post-a-thon!

>

Miss Binney

Early Childhood Post-a-thon!
Old 09-17-2016, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Preschool Teachers!

Tell us: What is something that you teach every year in Preschool that you particularly look forward to, and why?

Can't wait to read everyone's posts!

Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

I teach K!

My favorite
Old 09-17-2016, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love the book Preschool to the Rescue and I turn it into a STEM lesson where we try to get things out that are stuck in the mud. Plus we make mud pies. It is a huge hit!
I teach K! is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 09-17-2016, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had most of my students for two years, so I taught different units each year. My favorites were our Art Show Unit (Picasso, Kandinsky, Monet, Mondrian, Matisse and lots more!) and our Eric Carle Author Study.
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 09-17-2016, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love doing an Eric Carle study too! I also love Pumpkin Week. There is SO much you can do with pumpkins. One of my favorite activities that week is float and sink. I will purposely have the child with the largest pumpkin go last. It is so interesting to me how even though a class will see 15 pumpkins float in a container of water, they still think the largest one will sink. Such a great reminder of how little minds think!

playpower

fun thread!
Old 09-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Eric Carle author study is one of my favorites as well. His artwork is the main décor in my classroom, too!

I live in Northern MI so the fall is a beautiful time of year--I love sharing that with my class using nature as the basis for so many learning opportunities. I also do a unit on the state of MI and it's fun to see the kids get excited about our neck of the woods. It's relevant and meaningful, too!

playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

bucket

Favorite Unit
Old 09-17-2016, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last year I taught a Three Little Pigs theme. We only scheduled it for a week and had more ideas than we could accomplish in that small amount of time. This year I have two weeks for the unit and I am looking forward to going a little deeper with it. We did amazing retellings of the story with houses that the children helped make from cardboard, fake hay, bamboo sticks, and painted bricks. I had also purchased a wolf hat and gloves from the Target Halloween section and we used pig headbands to round out the costumes. The props really helped them get into the retelling of the story!

I've seen some interesting ideas for STEM activities that go with this fairytale. It should be fun!
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-17-2016, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am a retired teacher who spent the majority of my 31 years in pubic PK. My favorite unit to teach was our first week of school Gingerbread Man unit where we built language skills, encouraged a love for reading, got the kids excited about being in school, introduced them to the school building and other school personnel who would help them in various ways by reading different versions of the book, discussing the differences, baking one who got away, making wanted posters, looking for him in various places like the clinic, principal's office, cafeteria, media center, etc. then finally finding him, devouring him and writing about our experience.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

BusyOne

Favorite Themes
Old 09-17-2016, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love doing a Mouse Theme. There are so many good mouse stories that lead to many activities in the classroom - If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, Frederick, Mouse Count, Mouse Paint, Good Night Moon. I also love to teach about Advent. The children get so excited as we get closer to Christmas. We build a Christmas picture, adding an item to our picture each day. They can't wait for Jesus to come!
BusyOne is offline   Reply With Quote

cyclones

self portraits
Old 09-18-2016, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I loved doing self portraits every month. It was amazing to see the growth in the children from September to May.
cyclones is offline   Reply With Quote

mrspennington

fairy tales
Old 09-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I loved teaching all of the different fairy tales. I would usually pick one fairy or folk tale to study for a week or two and we would read different versions and compare/contrast them. Goldilocks and the Three Bears was always popular, and the kids would love acting it out with props in the dramatic play area. We would make and taste porridge (oatmeal), and then we created a graph of our opinions. It also lent itself to sorting things by size, so students could sort manipulatives for Baby, Mama, and Papa Bear.

mrspennington is offline   Reply With Quote

Grannyof5

Pete The Cat
Old 09-18-2016, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love the series of Pete The Cat. I can read each book and expand it into every center. It also is good for teaching colors, we can count, and we even tale it to the art center. After listening to it we draw or paint a picture of our favorite part of the book. Pete rocks for preschool
Grannyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Pete the Cat
Old 09-18-2016, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Grannyof5 - I love Pete the Cat! I use him to teach about resiliency. I think I might get more out of that lesson than the kiddos.