Help

Substitute Teachers

What to do, where to start?

>

Mikhail

What to do, where to start?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm doing a long-term assignment starting, Monday. We just ended our 1st week back from Christmas. There was a sub that covered in the 1st week who was offered a job elsewhere for this teacher who's on med leave. I was informed to check in with the chair for questions like where they left off and whatever but the chair is busy. I have a little sense of how I might start but if you are in my shoes, what/how would you start? I'll be in for a math/science teacher in the 8th-grade level.

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have a copy of their text or other materials? If so, I might create a math review page to check their basic skills for the first day. That will give you time to ask what page they are on, find some of their own assignments, and get an assessment of their basic skill level. Hopefully on Monday you will be able to meet with the dept. chair, or at least gather enough clues to figure out where to go next.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would definitely find some sort of review for the first day at least, until you can kind of figure out where they are where they should be going. Our school uses MobyMax and MangaHigh, so I would probably put them on that the first day, but I realize not all schools use those programs.

Good luck! I'd be in heaven with the math, but not so much the science.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 01-16-2017, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Stop gap... at that age/grade the kids can help. I'd be tempted to have some conversation with the class about what they've been doing, learning, etc. If nothing else, you'll likely earn some respect by showing interest in them. Having them explain things to you might come under the heading of "self-directed learning." If you can figure out what they've been working on in general terms, you could do (shudder) an assessment so that you get a sense of where they are as individuals. (I'd fully explain the purpose, noting that it won't be graded.)

At the same time, you're obligated to follow a curriculum and meet some standards, so I think you have to demand some time with the "busy" chair. (I'm assuming long-term is more than a week or two.) I'd offer to meet before or after school. There really needs to be a long-term plan.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote