Help

Substitute Teachers

outside class student behavior

>

sila

outside class student behavior
Old 01-22-2017, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,I wish I get advice from few of you for this situation.
I go regular in a middle school most of my days for some years.So know teachers and students lot.Adnn is very supportive too.
But the school is not easy one to deal with except honor classes.
Recently I am noticing a few seventh grade girls are commenting about me purposely when they are outside class.

I written them or called admn for them few times before in this year as per severe class disruptions.
Recently,what I am seeing is,they are quiet in class.

Once they walk in transition,(it is very narrow hallway and crowded time )I hear them talk loudly telling my name and telling negative things .
Two weeks back, I am in music class my planning time.These girls came through hallway,passing negative comments with a bad word too as they pass my door.(the hallway has no one there )
This current week,two incidents outside.
I have to pass through everyday the bus lots where the students crowd to wait buses in pm.to get my car.
Two times,these girls called my name from behind.I turned without knowing who from the big crowd.
Same thing.They teasing with negative sentences.
I am figuring out how to deal it.These girls are most days in ISS.Such head ache creating students in whole school every one knows.
But as these are not happening when they are inside my class,how I report it?
Admn and most teachers are very supportive to subs.
But there is difference to report incidents which happen outside or inside our classes rt?
Or should I talk to them directly as a warning when these things happen?
Please suggest to me.
I love the school.Just because of few students,these troubles .Thank you lot .

sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

maturity level
Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

IDK if this might help but what I would do is to continue being a pro. This is the kind of battle I wouldn't choose to fight. It's a minor fleeting behaviour and you can just ignore. But what I would do is to perhaps stand at the door to supervise people during times of transition. You may be able to clearly hear what's going on and if your name gets mentioned and if it's a battle that's worth it, I would probably say "That's my name, don't wear it out!". They are trying to get your attention and your response. Don't let them get to you.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Hard question to answer, really.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

While I agree that their behavior in your classroom is a key factor, our responsibility does not end at our classroom door. If you saw a student violating a school rule in the hallway you would both a right and obligation to intervene. How you do so is a matter of school policy and your own discretion within that policy. This gets a bit more complicated because you are personally involved.

When I see a situation that needs handling in the hall, I just handle it--even if I don't know the kid(s). Depending on what it is I will usually report it to the student's regular teacher simply as a matter of information, not necessarily asking the teacher to do anything. (Exceptions would be behaviors--bullying, threatening, etc. that must be reported by school policy.)

Some alternatives:

You can, obviously, ignore it. This avoids a power struggle that can become very difficult to win. One reason it may make sense to ignore it is (if I understand correctly) they are, apparently, behaving in class. (I hope you have complimented them on that.) As Mikhail as suggested, "Choose your battles." Those choices are not always easy. If there's a hard line, it's based on the "safe school" policy.

You could report it to administration, possibly even as "bullying" since it's repetitive. If the school takes a strong stance on bullying this could be very effective and it could be argued that if these girls are treating you that way, it's likely they are treating others that way.

You could turn to administration for input and advice, since you are indicating they are supportive. You might also talk to the girls' homeroom teacher. (If so, make it clear that you'd prefer she not reveal you did--she can address it with the girls as "I've been told that you are...")

You could attempt a conversation with the girls--ideally one at a time to level the playing field. (You haven't said how many are involved.) The conversation needs to managed carefully. Personally, I wouldn't do it as a warning--that's really a threat that may trigger a power struggle. I would focus on how I've noticed they (she) are making good choices while in my classroom and then point out that for the time being I am ignoring the poor choices being made outside the classroom. Emphasize the positive. You could express hope that they will lighten up but indicate that really is their choice. "For the time being" implies you aren't going to tolerate it forever and "it's your choice" implies that you have the right to make choices as well.

One of the simplest ways to eliminate bullying is to remove the victim. Bear that in mind as you choose how to address this... don't let them know they are "getting to you."

Another way of looking at this: if one of your students came to you and complained about these girls doing this to them, what would tell that student and what would you do?
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

I like the idea
Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

...of communicating with them one on one and giving them the option of making a better choice next time.

What I would most likely do is tell them that they obviously want my attention and now they have it. I would let them know that what they are doing is disrespectful and I don't tolerate that sort of disrespect...toward another adult, another student, or myself. Next time I hear it, there will be consequences (whatever school policy allows for disrespect or bullying). Do it all very matter-of-fact. I wouldn't let them know that it necessarily bothers you or hurts your feelings, just that it's simply not acceptable behavior.

There's always the option to ignore them...pick your battles...etc. This is probably something I personally would address, simply because I feel like kids need to understand that it's not okay to cross those boundaries with adults.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Document this!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Several incidents in my past have shown me that I need to protect myself from things like the OP has posted. The admin of the school does not have your back and neither does the district admin or teachers union.

Some examples:

1. Male student spreads rumors around school that I tried to run him over one day after school. I've never seen the kid before. Several students tell me this and tell me he is a trouble maker and a liar. I report this to the principal and school resource officer. I've gone from being a frequent sub to working once every couple of months.

2. Another school with 1 to 1 iPads, several students tell me that others have videoed me and posted them online. Admin calls students in and has a chat with them, Students deny, I look foolish, never found the videos. Probably boring though.

3. Guidance counselor shows up at the classroom where I am subbing that day with a student in tow. Says student told him I called him "fat and stupid." I've never seen the kid before. I tell GC this and ever since he looks at me with a wary eye and frequently walks past the classroom when I am subbing.

Document everything that could come back to bite you, make it as detailed as possible, it might be months before you need it.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 01-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been in similar situations, and the others have given you good suggestions. You have three choices. You can ignore the behaviors, report the behaviors, or stop (or severely restrict) your subbing at that school.

If you really like the school, you could ignore and/or try to avoid these girls, and leave the building after the buses depart. If you really feel confident that administration will back you, you could report what's been happening, but I have the feeling that the girls or their parents might come back with false accusations that will ruin your career. I honestly don't think it's worth it.

If you can find subbing work elsewhere, I think I'd cut way back or stop working at this school. When I was a regular teacher I worked in some difficult schools, and now that I'm retired and subbing, I don't need the aggravation.

Two years ago, a group of four fifth graders told quite a whopper that could have ruined my career. Fortunately, the teacher and administration backed me, and these darlings wrote a letter of apology. Now that they're in seventh grade, I've cut way back on my subbing at their middle school, and I won't go anywhere near their classes. It just isn't worth it.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

Thank you
Old 01-23-2017, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all of you for advice.All are equally valuable ones.After reading all these,today at least I got some confidence to go back.I will see either of these above choices work from today.Thank you all once more.
sila is offline   Reply With Quote