Help

Substitute Teachers

Your Opinion Please

>

Mindfood

Your Opinion Please
Old 01-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm new to the game, having only started this month. Apparently there's quite a demand for subs in our High School District. I took a job yesterday where I felt the teacher's lesson plan was overly ambitious, (very detailed instructions, even to the point of telling me what words to say to the class) and with what I consider to be an excessive amount of paperwork to deal with. Three 90 minute classes with 24-26 students each. I was instructed to hand out two worksheets per student and after completion, discuss, then, collect back in student numbered order. Further, I was instructed to hand back a recent exam that included the scan tron sheet, the test itself, and a information packet related to the test material, all student specific, discuss results, and then all required to be collected back in order of student id number.
After the first class I was able to figure out a way to streamline this process for the remaining classes, but come on, I was still having to deal with 375 to 400 pieces of paperwork for the day, organize all that including attendance sheets, have 3 students take the test on a make-up, and set up the AV for her instructed DVD. All three 90 minute classes were in a row with just a 6 minute break in between. With me being a newbie to this, am I being unreasonable in my thinking? I'm willing to work hard, but again, to my thinking, based on a 40 year career in the business world, I feel the expectations of this teacher went beyond reasonableness for any substitute.
I'd appreciate any and all input. Thank you!

Mindfood is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-26-2017, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's quite an amazing experience to me. My experience in high school has been: take roll, give the assignment, supervise. I don't take many high school jobs precisely because there is nothing to do. I may have welcomed your experience. However, it does seem you were left a lot to do. I may have just done what was reasonably capable of being done in the time period. If it all could not have been finished, I would have left a note to that effect. Since I mostly sub in elementary, teachers often leave too much work but say that it's okay if it's not all completed.

If students had to watch a DVD, I would do all the other stuff first, then show as much as the DVD as possible. If the DVD went over the class time, I would have noted that there wasn't enough time, and where I stopped the DVD for each class.

That's quite an experience. It would be interesting to see if the other teachers at that high school follow the same protocol.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfood

Old 01-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your input. I did complete the lesson plan, but only because I used my lunch break to get all things reorganized. With my daughter being a High School teacher of 19 years, (by the way, she felt the teacher's plan was way beyond expectations) I felt compelled to do the very best job I could. I did leave the teacher a note indicating that I completed all of her requests, omitting my personal feelings regarding the ambitiousness of her plan. This was my 5th time in this school and none of those experiences came close to this. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Thank you.

Cayo

I think the teacher's expectations
Old 01-26-2017, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

were too ambitious and unrealistic. Most high school sub assignments are nowhere near that rigorous, and I would steer clear of subbing for that teacher in the future. Any assignment that necessitates giving up lunch is one I want no part of.

The most difficult assignment I ever had as a sub in high school was in a Spanish class. The teacher assumed I spoke the language (I don't and the sub coordinator knew it.) The assignment was to teach a bunch of new vocabulary words. Boy did that ever go downhill in a hurry!

Even worse was the day I was called upon to sub a sign language class. The teacher left a video but no way to play it. She didn't leave her computer password and there was no way to obtain it. I ended up giving the students a study period and it basically became a challenge to keep them in the room.

One thing about subbing. Always expect the unexpected!
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfood

Old 01-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I appreciate your feedback. Again, I don't mind the work as that's why I got involved in the first place. I really enjoy working with high school students and hopefully having a positive impact on them. I just found this experience a real challenge to my organizational and time management skills. I felt rushed to complete the plan and I feel it degraded the opportunity to positively interact with the students. However, my objective is and always will be to follow the teacher's lesson plan and do my best to complete it without any personal bias or agenda.
Again, thanks for your input.

SubMan

Old 01-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's the nature of subbing; sometimes you get assignments like the first post, other times you're so bored your fighting to keep awake.

This is why I arrive early at all assignments.
SubMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Don't use your whole lunch break to prep! You need the time off on a day like that! I do understand that you wanted to do a great job. After a bit of subbing you may find you're not willing to give up your breaks.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 01-26-2017, 11:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Usually Highschool is easier.But I had one language arts teacher put for me real lessons.I had to browse find quotes,explain.Make sure they take notes too.That too needed tech help,to find passwords too.Even text books I had to send students to get from another building .

But except that most Highschool days are easy for me.

There is one middle school teacher does almost same way.
Test,correction,collect back in order.Another set too.Then lessons to teach.
In the middle need to manage many discipline issues too.
Continuous three blocks with no breaks .
Better to avoid such classes I think and pick less hectic ones if a choice is there .
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Use students!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In the future if you have classes like that, recruit kids. Get someone to pass it all out, someone to take it all up and someone else to put it in order. I'm going to bet that the teacher does that...no way is she/he number ordering that stuff herself. I'm sure there's a system and the kids probably know it.

I'd never do work that kids can do themselves
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote