I'm not doing it unless it's in the lesson plans! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

I'm not doing it unless it's in the lesson plans!

>

Sublime

I'm not doing it unless it's in the lesson plans!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This week exhausted me. I've decided I'm not doing something unless it's in the plans. A teacher did not tell me to hand out the weekly folders or to plug in all chrome books at the end of the day. A half hour in the classroom turned into chaos. The kids told me they had to take their weekly folders home so I assigned 2 students to pass them out...bad decision. This bad decision took up the 30 minutes we were actually in the classroom. Those 2 students also decided to hand out "go home" papers that had no names on them...chaos. Meanwhile I had the student telling me she didn't want to do the assigned work and bothering the students handing out the papers. What was supposed to be 20 minutes of quiet typing practice turned into a mess. When students started plugging in their chrome books I said to stop because we were out of time and had to go to drama class. I suppose all their computers were dead in the morning.

The next day I had 2nd graders telling me, "We have to do this and this and this." I decided - no way - and told them these things were not in the teacher's instructions. I wasn't going to go through that again.

Two days to recharge before diving back in....

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Comadrita

Symphathy
Old 01-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, often teachers don't realize that for subs the lesson plans have to be very concise and to the point. What has helped me is to tell the students and show them the written lesson plans left by the teacher. Sometimes, if possible, I even put them up on the projector and read it with them so they know exactly what their teacher left for them. Another thing that helps is writing the plans on the board with the time and such. Actually, getting to the classroom early really helps to get a heads up on the lessons and ensure you have all of the material ready to go. Just some pointers. I've been subbing since 2013 until now Good Luck. I know sometimes even the best laid out plans don't work because of behavior management issues. Some days you just get through and feel lucky to be done.
Comadrita is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Try this...
Old 01-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There's an old trainer's exercise that involves someone explaining how to put on a coat to someone who is clueless. It's meant to show the value of demonstration versus telling, but it also drives home the point that giving instructions is not so easy.

A concise lesson plan is great but what about all the "what if's?" Those who thinking being a sub is hard would perhaps find it equally challenging to write a "lesson plan" for a sub that fully explains activities and possibilities.

Another exercise, describe in detail (without looking) the face of your watch. Many people will find this difficult because even though you look at it often, you don't notice or pay attention to detail. You look at the time.

Lesson plan: "The last half hour of the day is devoted to PL..." The regular teacher has been doing this every day.

But the sub reads it and thinks, "What the heck is PL?!!" (Personalized Learning) We used to call that MIL (Managed Independent Learning.) I can't keep up with the vocabulary!

I think we need to share some of the responsibility... it just isn't realistic to expect a regular teacher to remember (or guess) at how much we need to know. They are following routines every day... those routines become automatic. Which side of your face do you shave or put makeup on first? Most people don't know unless they really think about it. So the regular teacher didn't tell us and when we start on the opposite side, the kids freak out. We have to deal with that without blaming ourselves or the regular teacher. "It's not wrong, it's just different!"
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

MaineSub: I absolutely understand the teacher not putting every little thing in the sub plans. However, if there isn't enough time in the school day and the kids start telling me that they have to do this and this and this, I have to leave it out. Especially if it's 5 minutes before dismissal. I was just frustrated when I posted. I am usually very flexible! I think, though, that if the little routines are not mentioned and it causes chaos to try and squeeze them in, I'm going to decide to skip them. I've been subbing a long time but some things still trip me up and catch me off guard. I like as little chaos as possible!

Kailey123

Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my experience the thing the teachers forget to put in their plans is the classroom reward/points system. I only do elementary school and the lower grades and the special ed pull-out groups all seem to have these systems. So i'll get started on the lesson or on the day and someone inevitably says "are we doing a good job? if we are you can give us a point/star/whatever..." I always used to say "Ms. So-and-So didn't mention that so I'll leave her a note about how well you all worked and she can do points tomorrow." Now I just ask up front for an explanation. -- But the one thing I won't do is deal with the chaos of turning in tickets for prizes. The teachers who hand out these tickets will let the kids pick from the prize box every Friday. ugh. Counting up all these little tickets and making them all wait in line and telling them to hurry up and choose...no thank you.

Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 01-30-2017, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I sub the younger grades, I always mention that I am not in their classroom every day and I don't know how their teacher does things. I discuss that it is ok that we might do things a little differently and that is alright. I may listen to students who say we do this or that only if it is reasonable and I understand completely what they do. I do this to try not to mess up routine too badly.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 01-31-2017, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sublime: I hope you understood I wasn't being accusatory because "I feel your pain." I'm always amazed at the number of details I have to figure out--and the number of questions the kids ask that I can't answer. I too end up skipping some things, usually documenting in my note/report.

It can be very frustrating, particularly when it impacts the learning. The plan says "Kids go on Moby Max." Kids say, "What are we supposed to do when we get there?" I have to figure out if the kids are playing me or they truly don't know... I guess that's why we subs get the big bucks.

I try to stay focused on the objective--learning or behavior. Regular teachers seem to get and appreciate that and will usually own up to omitted details if it becomes an issue.

Just yesterday I "rescued" a sub... her first time subbing, her only instruction was "You have lunch duty." (It would have taken a paragraph to explain the lunch protocol and rules.) When I dropped my kids off I saw that "deer in the headlights" look bordering on panic. The teacher who shared lunch duty with the new sub was late getting to the cafeteria so she was facing the kids alone. I took over even though I wasn't sure of everything. When the regular teacher arrived and discovered I hadn't exactly followed the usual procedure we just shrugged and kept going.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Subs
Old 01-31-2017, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I leave detailed plans with a couple extra fillers. My philosophy is...if everyone is still breathing when I get back, you done good!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

huh
Old 01-31-2017, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I learned the hard way that it is best to leave things alone that are not in the lesson plans. I have found that it either is too time consuming, causes chaos, or really doesn't matter anyway. I realize sometimes teachers forget, and sometimes students feel things have to be done as Mrs. ___________ would have it done. If the plans do not say it, I apologize and tell the students it is okay that Mrs. ____________ did not tell me to do that, so she must want to do it herself tomorrow. The only time I stray from this is if it is of importance, such as stuff the office sends home that needs to go home in a timely manner (notes for the chorus sign ups or the upcoming fund raiser can wait one more day, notes advising there is a case of head lice in the classroom, or why we had a code yellow come home that day).
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-01-2017, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

MaineSub: I absolutely did not think you were being accusatory! I appreciate everyone's response.

C81

C81

only do what's written always!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've had that problem with high schools too--which is substantially less complicated than younger grades. Yet, teachers still expect subs to be psychic. I only do what's written down, so when they say "why wouldn't you do blah blah blah" I can say "wasn't in the lesson plans, and some people wouldn't want me to do that unless told to." I'm high profile, well known, and have been in the same building for 7 years--and stlil get bit once in a while. I just give an "oh really" look and casually remind them of the chronic sub shortage I've stopped trying to be helpful a long time ago, unless it's a teacher I talk to on a near daily basis.