Help

Substitute Teachers

Beware! Flawed AESOP programming almost cost me a jobp

>

Sirsubalot

Beware! Flawed AESOP programming almost cost me a jobp
Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After what I learned this morning, I will never again program a non-work day into AESOP unless I need the day off.

To avoid being disturbed with continuous phone calls for jobs in the morning, and as a favor to the sub coordinators, I will sometimes put in for a non-work day, which prevents AESOP from calling when I am already booked.
I always felt that if a job was cancelled, I could merely press the "removal" icon to unblock the day.

This nearly backfired this morning

Last night I blocked out Aesop on Feb. 8-10 since I was booked for three separate jobs.

I was surprised with a cancellation at 5:15 am.

I immediately logged on to Aesop to remove the non-work days, and was upset to discover that there was no removal icon for this morning, only for Thursday and Friday.

What the ^&*$!

Why was Aesop blocking me from reinstating myself the same day, hours before the jobs began?

This programming is ridiculous. I will never use the non-work day option again.

There was no way to let my districts know I was now available in a timely manner.

I got bailed out since the district that cancelled me offered again 15 minutes later, but I will not take any more chances.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

My district is different
Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Aesop doesn't call if I am already booked. Of course, I only have one district, so that may be why I don't get calls if I am booked. A friend works for two districts, and she doesn't get called for the second district if she is already booked for the other. I think it depends on how the districts set up Aesop (or Frontline or whatever). But that DOES stink. I know that in some districts, if you opt to reject a job, they block you from other positions. My district is too desperate for subs to do that.
mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unfortunately, Aesop has been this way for the last few years.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I recently found out the hard way that we are no longer available to unblock a day the morning of. A repair person called and cancelled an appointment at 6am. I went to AM and tried to make myself available for the day, not an option anymore. Yet, the district is crying cause they are so short subs.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is not flawed programming.

You might not like it, but this "feature" prevents subs from dropping jobs on short notice. Remember they who pay the bills (school districts) make the rules.

A couple years ago I was in a similar situation. One district closed for snow the other had a two hour delay. I had a job in the district that closed, it was not canceled until afternoon. I was unable to work for the district with the two hour delay as I could not see their absences.

The district that closed and I went round and round about how I was prevented from earning money that day. It ended with them telling me that I could work the extra day that was going to be added on at the end of the year.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is not flawed in that it is an accident ;the programming is intentional. It is flawed based on logic.

If a sub needs to cancel on short notice, it will likely be because they cannot work , so the great majority of jobs cancelled on short notice are going to be cancelled anyway.

My sub coordinator said that she watched the Aesop tutorial. She told me what I already knew, that AESOP is responsible for this policy, and not the districts.

SubMans's statement would only make sense if Aesop's brass thinks that too many subs cannot be trusted to keep their jobs if a better one comes along after midnight.

Maybe this is the case, but it does more potential harm than potential good for subs, coordinators, and teachers.

whd507

Frontline needs to get their act together
Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The recent "updates" are already costing me jobs in other ways. Jobulator frequently freezes on an available job, it will not let me click it saying its taken, but it remains on the screen. in the past I was able to quickly swap over to aesop and click the job, but now aesop takes several minutes as it goes through the new and unnecessary flash screen (twice) and a much longer sign-in page then the message popup (twice) and by that time someone else has gotten there.

Frontline. just change the name if you really need to, aesop used to work pretty good, but adding all the extra bells and whistles is not needed and making teachers, subs and districts mad. I know one district is thinking about simply having a message board type page on their website for the subs and have their subs go there to look, ditching aesop.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 02-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
SubMans's statement would only make sense if Aesop's brass thinks that too many subs cannot be trusted to keep their jobs if a better one comes along after midnight.
How would you know if a better job comes along if all of your districts are using Aesop?

I did recently pick up a new district that is using SmartFindExpress instead of Aesop, but SmartFindExpress is such a pain to use that I rarely check it.

There are actually two topics being discussed on this thread:
1. Removing non-work days, and
2. Cancelling scheduled jobs.

Cancelling scheduled jobs varies between every school district where I sub. From this discussion, it appears that Absence Management, formerly Aesop does not allow you to remove non-work days for the following day after midnight. I rarely schedule a non-work day and I have telephone calls turned off so I'm not bothered by phone calls on the mornings I don't plan to work.
Nietzsche is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have two districts on Aesop and one on subfinder express.

I have two separate pin numbers for my two Aesop districts, so that the two are totally independent of one another.

It was my subfinder express job that got cancelled, but I had put in a non-work day for my two Aesop districts.

I only put in non- work days when I am reasonably sure that my job will not be cancelled.

The sub coordinator recently called my cell phone late in the morning for a job, thus bypassing Aesop.

When I told her I was working elsewhere, she was a little upset that I did not block out the day since she wasted her time calling me.

I told her it is because jobs get cancelled. She just sighed.

subasaurus

Actually this is new.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have always been able to remove non-work days if I wanted to make myself available again for the day. There was always a trash can option if your situation changed for the day and you wanted to make yourself available or you simply put in the wrong day or time.

Now the system is such that if you want to remove a non-work day you do not have the option. Terrible idea from frontline. What if you put in the wrong day by accident? You'll miss out on a day of work unless you contact your sub coordinator.

They are going to have a lot more subs who are accidentally unavailable now. What a mess!

Subman and a few others are confused, and are thinking the original poster was referring to canceling actual jobs, not making yourself available or unavailable.

Those are unrelated features.

Regardless, my assessment is the new site update is horrible and doesn't make any feature any easier or better.

Last edited by subasaurus; 02-14-2017 at 12:40 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote