Help

Substitute Teachers

Nothing to do

>

Subtastic

Nothing to do
Old 02-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I wrote about this before. Barring lunch, this school seems to have a policy to never allow us any downtime. I was asked to help out in a special ed classroom during last period. I asked the teacher what I could do to help. She said I'm busy now, I'll be with you in a few minutes. Ok, well, I waited and waited. Basically there was nothing for me to do. She proceeded to ignore me for the rest of the period. She had her two aides, and there was only two students in the room. Another girl came in, and she was playing on an ipad with her headphones on. I just pulled out my book and started reading. I thought: If you need me, I'm here lady. What a waste of my time. As soon as the bell rang, I was out of there. She will probably complain about me, and I will have no way to defend myself.

Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Not a biggie
Old 02-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Out of respect, what I normally do even if there's that directive is to ask if I'm really needed and add that if I'm not needed then would it be alright to create a report, or grade papers, to the teacher I'm in for? I would use that initiative because we are pros after all. I wouldn't worry about being told so long as there's understanding. As adults though, it's about supervising kids.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
C81

C81

Go somewhere else!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When schools take away my prep to cover an uncovered class, I'm fine with it. When schools generate nonsense just for the sake of taking away a prep, I don't return to the school. The middle school in one of my districts basically can't get subs for that reason.

NJSubteacher

Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the last poster. There was one school I used to work in that made subs give up every single prep period and told them to help out in the library during all of our downtime. After noticing this was the norm, after going there three times, I never stepped foot in that school again. Now I hear they are having a very hard time getting subs.......but they reep what they sow.

However, if I am told that a teacher actually needs coverage during my prep, then that is different. I also hate when that happens too often because WE should be allowed a break too, and I'm not talking about just a short lunch break. I know subs who refuse to work in schools that have a habit of taking away all of your preps. Since I am not retired and have to live off this income, I cannot be so picky. But, I really am proud of you subs who speak up for yourselves and threaten to go home when told to work extra duties without being paid extra. I know there are some districts out there who are more fair and actually pay subs an extra $12-$15 for every period they have to cover during their prep. It is only fair.

Going back to the original post, whenever I am sent to another classroom to "help out", my first question when I arrive is "This is my prep, but the office sent me here, do you need any extra help or can I take my break?" 9 times out of ten, the teachers in the room will let you just take your deserved prep because they know what it is like to be a sub and feel bad that the admins tend to treat us like objects rather than employees.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 02-18-2017, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree that making up stuff for subs to do is silly, but I didn't have a problem with doing stuff during the regular teacher prep time (actual work) because the point of a prep isn't to give teachers a break, it's to let them prep for future classes. So unless I was doing a long term sub job, I wouldn't really "expect" a prep.

Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-19-2017, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I expect at least a bathroom break, but I don't feel cheated if I don't get a whole period break - if the teacher leaves a few copies, or a key to correct the math homework or something, I don't mind doing those things.

(If it was a last minute assignment, though, I might only read the plans up to the prep when I get there, so I can also get a quick seating chart made, and then count on the prep to prepare for the rest of the day!)

Sending us to other rooms just for the sake of it is another story, though. If there's no coverage, that's one thing. But if the teacher is there, and we're sent to "help," it's often useless. Thankfully, my schools don't do this with regular assignments, but it does happen with "floating" ones when we're covering several different meetings. If there's a gap, I'm likely to be sent to kindergarten, and I've had several teachers tell me they would have loved the help if they knew it was coming and could have set up something for me to do, but they really can't use me on such short notice. I'm sure it sucks for them, too, as now admin acts like they've done them a favor, when they really haven't.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

harpadzo

Ignoring the Sub
Old 02-20-2017, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is very common place. I recall going through this situation many times in the public schools. The truth is that most teachers do not accept subs as teachers. In the mind of teachers, main office staff, board of education, and district office sub teachers are nothing more than baby-sitters. I substituted for 8 years. It took me a long time to realize that I was never seen as a teacher. It is frustrating to visit a classroom as a cluster sub and be completely ignored by the teacher and para.
harpadzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Comadrita

Old 03-03-2017, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You did not waste your time, you were paid for your time, now wether or not that work time was put to good use is their issue not yours. You fulfilled your end of the bargain by showing up to work if they did not take you up on it, your hands are tied, in the end you win because you still are paid regardless of what work you did Sounds like a deal to me! I learned very early on that with any type of work you are in one must always look busy even if you are not. So reading a book was probably not the greatest idea. Perhaps you could have looked around the room to find something to do or engaged one of the students. At any rate let her complain, you asked and she ignored you. Oh well.
Comadrita is offline   Reply With Quote