Not sure whether or not to do work tomorrow (sick) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Not sure whether or not to do work tomorrow (sick)

>

Ciel

Not sure whether or not to do work tomorrow (sick)
Old 02-14-2017, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Late yesterday afternoon, I got all of the symptoms of the stomach flu/flu, and took today off as a result. It has subsided.. kind of. I still have the stomach pains here and there, and don't really have a big appetite. I had toast for lunch, and really don't want anything else. Even that is making me kind of sick feeling. I'm still tired. I don't even want to take my daily walk, and it's gorgeous out. But that is today.
The problem is, I have no way of cancelling if I accept a job today for tomorrow, and still feel like this tomorrow. I am not sure what to do. I'm kind of afraid that I'll look like I don't want to work, as last week had three of five days with jobs I didn't want, and the other two I accidentally clicked reject on because the stupid frontline page was being slow. Monday was the same, jobs I didn't want. And now, this. I do keep telling myself that they have no way of knowing that I didn't have work elsewhere those days, but I just don't trust anything, I guess. I DO have work Thursday, and I'm sure it'll be better by then.
But anyway.. what should I do?
This wouldn't even be an issue if they didn't have this no cancellations at ALL 24 hours before the job policy. I would just be able to take a job, and cancel if I felt bad still. Now, I can't.
Before, we could just cancel and get a late cancellation notice. Now, it's not at all.

Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

What if...
Old 02-14-2017, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can't cancel within 24 hours? What if you wake up in the morning with the flu or throwing up or something? You just have to go in anyway?

If that's the case, I definitely wouldn't take a job until you wake up and know you're okay.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you allowed sick pay?

If so, you had better accept a job or you will not get paid if you have no job to cancel.

Even if you do not get sick pay, I would take a job anyway since the sub coordinator should certainly not blame you for the flaws in your automated system.

Just make sure that you have the sub coordinator's e-mail address and/or extension and leave a message as soon as you are certain you cannot work.

I am not sure what the cutoff time is in my districts, or even whether the districts can alter the programming to fit their policy, but I believe I can cancel jobs until at least 6:AM on Aesop.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-15-2017, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm going to go the other way. Stay home and take care of yourself! If I'm not feeling well, sometimes it's such a relief to decide to stay home and not stress over taking a job or not. Of course, I don't know your financial situation.

If I am sick the morning of, I can call the sub coordinator at 6 in the morning to tell her. Luckily, I've never had to do it.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote