Help

Substitute Teachers

Got a desperate phone call

>

mrsd5

Got a desperate phone call
Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Checked my phone at lunch today and saw a missed call from a number I didn't recognize. There was a message. It was the principal of the 4/5 building looking for a sub for tomorrow. He saw I'd blocked the day, but thought he'd call me anyway because he can't get anybody. I'm driving hubby to Chicago tomorrow for his annual heart check (ugh!). I told the man that I'd already turned down two jobs for the day. An hour later, I was talking with a 7th grade teacher whose sons were both sick. Grandma was watching them, but can't tomorrow. Had to turn down a THIRD job! Maybe, just maybe the district can convince the school board that $90 a day for a 7 1/2 hour day just won't do the trick.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

you have a life
Old 02-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

And I bet they've been down this road b4 and you yourself had had to turn down assignments in the past. It is what it is.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Yep
Old 02-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are down a couple of regular (and fantastic subs), one due to a serious illness and one due to family emergency. We live less than 1/2 hour from a major university, and we usually get subs from December graduates. A former student teacher is now subbing, but..... Well, let's just say that he supervising teacher doesn't want her in the classroom. But, she's a warm body. They just let go another para. They lost one in September when she moved. The job has been advertised since then. So now they need sub aides. At $8.25 an hour, they are not having much success. I understand that there are budget issues, but.....
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote