Help

Substitute Teachers

Dream job!

>

mrsd5

Dream job!
Old 02-23-2017, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

7th grade American history. The teacher just found out that she has been RIFed. I'm guessing she will be using up her sick days - two years worth. I'm hoping I get most of them. She was my replacement when I retired. She was put on an improvement plan, but is still not effective. Of 120+ students she sees daily, she had over 75% fail at least one section of the Constitution test. Part of it is the kids. Part of it is that she's not listening to and taking the advice of her mentor who taught American history at the 8th grade level for nearly 20 years and gave her all of the materials, the curriculum guide, powerpoints, etc. I left her my weekly plan of action that followed the curriculum guide. She could change it, sure, but at least as a first year teacher she had lots of support. This year was better for classroom management, but not for the curriculum.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Curious
Old 02-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If this dream job was yours to start with, why did you leave? I don't get it! Now you want to sub in your former job for much less money???😩
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Cc96
Old 02-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district had an incredible early retirement package that I had signed up for when I was teaching 8th grade ELA and one section of American history. Then I got moved to 7th grade with 2 years left (put in my letter 3 1/2 years early so I could get the incentive). I taught ELA and one section of geography for one year. Then they moved American history to 7th grade. The main geography teacher was moved to teach all STEM classes, and I was moved to American history for my final year. It was amazing (except for one section, with all the high kids and three bozos who made the class unbearable). I love teaching American history. I probably wouldn't have put in for early retirement if I had known what was in my future AND if 3 of my kids hadn't started giving me grandkids. I will probably be subbing in that class a lot, because the teacher is trying to use up all her sick and personal days because she is leaving at the end of the year.

Subinnc

Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How does a second year teacher accumulate 2 years worth of sick days? What did I miss?
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Not a second year teacher
Old 02-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I began teaching in the school in 1998. I'd been an aide and had several years of subbing before that. With a reciprocal agreement between TRS and IMRF (when I was an aide), I got enough years to make 20 years and retired with half of my retirement. I would have been I did have 180 days (one year) of sick days accrued during that time too to add to my retirement. Except for 3 weeks when I had my uterine cancer/hysterectomy and 8 days when hubby had a valve replacement/stroke, I took very few sick days. It all added up.

broomrider

Aren't you subbing for
Old 02-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

a second year teacher? How did SHE acquire an apparently large number of sick days?

How many sick leave days per year are the teachers provided?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Sick days
Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teachers in the district get 12 sick days and 3 personal days a year. So she has about 20 to "spend" until the end of the year.