Help

Substitute Teachers

Any building subs here?

>

substeph

Any building subs here?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had an opportunity to be a building sub in a school close to my house but I'm not sure if I want to commit because: a. I have back issues and have to schedule treatment which would be every other Friday, b. My mom is having surgery next month and I will be helping her. c. It's outsourced just like my daily subbing so no school district contributing to a pension.

The only reason I would consider it is the close proximity to my house and maybe it would provide an opportunity to possibly get into the district but I'm not sure if I would ever get in it's very political and filled with nepotism. Plus I'm in my early forties so not getting any younger. Does anyone here do it and enjoy it? Thoughts?

substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It all depends on the school. Are the students cooperative? If the students are rude and out of control, and there are no consequences for what they do, then no way. You will leave angry and stressed out and will be dreading the next day. Are you willing to do gym and difficult areas like special ed? The pay is better, but I am just not willing to sub in subject areas that I have no interest in, where I'm basically a babysitter.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't want to work every day, so it's a no for me.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm a building sub and there is one factor you did not mention. Building subs get suck with the jobs the daily subs refuse to take. It happens to me every week.

Subs have a choice of which assignments to take, so they naturally avoid the unprepared classrooms. We have one person in our building who when they are out leaves NOTHING. I'm not exaggerating when I say that building subs get the dregs of the subbing positions.

JMTC.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

Wow
Old 02-05-2018, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I never thought of getting stuck with the jobs nobody wants?! And I like the school but like any middle school there are plenty that just want to act up if there is a sub there.

I pretty much made up my mind I'm just going to continue daily subbing. I think I'll be a lot less stressed being able to pick and choose everyday. I DO NOT want to sub gym and other difficult classes.

Thanks for the advice

substeph is offline   Reply With Quote