Help

Substitute Teachers

Please stop talking

>

AZsub

Please stop talking
Old 02-03-2018, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have subbed for high school for over 10 years, but this year has been a challenge.

I usually quiet things down by saying "The bell has rung, lets start class." I introduce myself and take role. This year, the students will not stop talking so I can start class. I have stood silently for up to fifteen minutes, with the kids chattering away. It is disrespectful. I have left notes for the teacher. letting them know how long it took for students to quiet down so there can be some consequence.

Does anybody have any new ideas?

AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 02-03-2018, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had that problem daily when I taught in the inner city; now thankfully it's a rarer occurrence. I actually have a whistle that makes a really loud irritating sound. That usually gets their attention. Well, long enough to tell them in a loud voice, "I need your attention. This is what we're going to be doing today." Or if it's elementary, "One two three. All eyes on me.
Then do attendance, and state your rules. If they talk again, just stop and say in a loud, impatient, rather rude voice, "I'll wait."
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Slide into it...
Old 02-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I even do this with adults. Count back from five, adjust the pace to match the noise level. It does at least two things:
  1. lets conversations end without disruption and interruption
  2. prevents new conversations from starting between those who are waiting fo others to stop.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Same...
Old 02-04-2018, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do the 5-4-3-2-1 thing also. 5 usually has to be pretty louder and I get progressively quiter. By 1, I need silence. It works in middle school, not sure about high school.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

stop talking
Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I subbed at the same high school last week. Many of the problem kids i had two weeks ago were also in this class. It is a class full of freshman. I stood at the front for 10 minutes and finally tried the 54321. They looked at me and laughed.

I do not want to stop subbing at this school. I talked with a few teachers and they did admit the incoming freshman class was disrespectful. I wound up writing a note about the bad behavior to the teacher, hoping there would be consequences. I felt horrible after I left the school at the end of the day. Not my fault, but not used to a bad class.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

luv2teach2017

Old 02-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel for you. I abandoned middle and high school and stick to K-4th in part because for me, the younger kids are more manageable.

I have a system of rewards and penalties that works really well with that age group, even with the tougher classes. I start out by setting the tone and going over my requirements and expectations for behavior (including rewards and penalties). Positive peer pressure works really well, so I assign the kids to teams and then keep a tally of "team points" throughout the day. I also reward good behavior by keeping a running list of "star students" on the board.

If there are problem kids, I have a "Warning" list with penalties attached (including loss of recess, being sent to the office, or possibly contacting the parent). The stars and winning team get rewards throughout and at the end of the day as well as a commendation to the teacher.

I'll also break up cliques and reassign seating for the day if needed and assign jobs to some of the problem kids to keep them busy and out of trouble. I do know that there have to be consequences that I can and will enforce. I keep calm and never get angry or yell, which shows loss of control. Empty threats are also useless and undermine credibility.

Maybe some of those strategies would work with older kids? I don't know. As I said, I have developed good working strategies for the younger ones, but I choose to steer clear of teens. Maybe reconsider the age level you're teaching and try elementary school? It might turn out to be your cup of tea.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-11-2018 at 04:13 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

stop talking
Old 02-13-2018, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for your suggestions

YayaSub

Old 02-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't know about some of these. I have heard teachers making fun of a teacher who blew a whistle at the class. And standing there saying "I'll wait" for ten minutes is bound to have the class view you as powerless and a little laughable. I have made a point to watch the clock and announce (to those listening!) that I will be holding them after the bell for however long it takes them to begin to listen. It usually works. At least you get some of the good kids telling the others to knock it off. Sometimes you just get stinkers who defy whatever tricks you can think up.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The teacher in the 7th grade class I subbed for had a bell, like a hotel counter one. I've seen this before. I rang it all day and they still didn't shut up. I will usually say I will wait until it's quiet but ten minutes is too long. I'd cut it off after two at the most and just get tough.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-13-2018, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I subbed middle school today and for the first EVER, I did the elementary clap pattern to get them to stop talking. Later in the same hour, I turned off the lights to get all 33 of them to just LOWER their inside discussion voices.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

There's not one trick...
Old 02-14-2018, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I subbed at the same high school last week. Many of the problem kids i had two weeks ago were also in this class. It is a class full of freshman. I stood at the front for 10 minutes and finally tried the 54321. They looked at me and laughed.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to write a thorough reply, but as one who uses the 54321 technique, I would note that it's not just about the counting. It's ultimately about establishing a presence, creating expectations, and bonding with the class.

It's also not really about talking, it's about management... I might work through this a kid at a time once--that's establishing presence, etc. (Think of the problem as an individual problem, not a class problem.) Change the assignment, get one kid quiet at a time... "I need you reading quietly... writing quietly..." It's hard to describe in detail, but you get the kids quiet one at a time, focusing on the quiet instead of the noise. After the first time, it should get easier.

There's no one thing that works because it's actually part of a larger issue... and it's not just about the teacher (sub).

There are also some "chatty" classes where total quiet can be almost impossible to achieve.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote