Help

Substitute Teachers

Great Week

>

thecoast

Great Week
Old 02-04-2018, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I subbed at a good charter school for 4 days. 10th grade (some 11th and 12th graders, depending the class). Great kids. Respectful. Made me think I could sub in high school after all. Subbed for math and computer science. Same room all day (except for one period one day of the 4). Love math even though I'm not a wiz at it. This was somewhere in L.A. HORRIBLE commute, but the kids made it worth it. However, getting up at zero dark thirty as a non-morning person and driving during and through the worst possible traffic in both directions can take its toll (no pun intended). Always had to stop for a nap on the way back. Driving is boring to me, so that doesn't help.

During that week, as in the past several weeks, I subbed for 4th graders on Friday mornings till noon-thirty. It was the 100th day of school, so they celebrated with dressing as 100-year-olds. I had more than usual class management trouble. I thought I was just having an off day, not on my game. When I went to sign out, the office manager asked me how it went. I was honest with her and she responded with something that surprised me but shouldn't have: that the behavior I described seemed to be the norm on holiday celebration days and dress-up days. I shouldn't have been surprised because children react to interruptions in the routines with acting out. It's subconscious. It got me thinking about ways to anticipate the behavior in response to interruptions in their routines (including having a sub) by some relaxation techniques like slow, deep breathing and listening to calming sounds.

I'm planning on doing my Ph.D. dissertation on substitute teaching, so everything I experience and observe in that context is par for the dissertation course for now. (Will post separately on this).

thecoast is offline   Reply With Quote